Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Favorite Beauty Recipes

  • Marta McCarthy
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 16, 2012
      I used about 3/4 cup of olive oil, 4-5 almonds ground with mortar and pestle and I think 3 whole cloves.  I am sure you can tweak the recipe to please you.  I had the bottle in the sun for about 1 week to 10 days.  I gently swirled the bottle every day or so, then strained it through a linen cloth.

      On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Heather Lambert <kettabal@...> wrote:

      What ratio of oil to cloves did you use?

      On Thursday, October 11, 2012, Marta McCarthy <misigilli@...> wrote:

      > To make smooth hands
      >

      > “To make oil which shall make the skin of the hands very smooth, take almonds and beat them to oil, then take whole cloves and put them both together in a glass, and set it in the sun for five or six days; then strain it and with the same anoint your hands every night before you go to bed, and otherwise as you have convenient leisure.” (Markham)
      >
      > This actually makes hands very smooth.  We tried it and liked it a lot.  I used olive oil.  Have fun!
      > Isabella
      > On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 5:34 PM, kettabal <kettabal@...> wrote:
      >>

      >> What are some of your favorite period beauty recipes?
      >>
      >> I'm having a Medieval Spa Day class at an event in December and would love some new ideas!
      >>
      >> Thanks!
      >>
      >> ~Lady Ketta, Herbalist of Red Spears

    • Heather Lambert
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 17, 2012