Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Favorite Beauty Recipes

  • Marta McCarthy
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 11, 2012

      To make smooth hands

      “To make oil which shall make the skin of the hands very smooth, take almonds and beat them to oil, then take whole cloves and put them both together in a glass, and set it in the sun for five or six days; then strain it and with the same anoint your hands every night before you go to bed, and otherwise as you have convenient leisure.” (Markham)

      This actually makes hands very smooth.  We tried it and liked it a lot.  I used olive oil.  Have fun!
      Isabella
      On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 5:34 PM, kettabal <kettabal@...> wrote:

      What are some of your favorite period beauty recipes?

      I'm having a Medieval Spa Day class at an event in December and would love some new ideas!

      Thanks!

      ~Lady Ketta, Herbalist of Red Spears

    • Heather Lambert
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 16, 2012
        What ratio of oil to cloves did you use?

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 16, 2012
          I used about 3/4 cup of olive oil, 4-5 almonds ground with mortar and pestle and I think 3 whole cloves.  I am sure you can tweak the recipe to please you.  I had the bottle in the sun for about 1 week to 10 days.  I gently swirled the bottle every day or so, then strained it through a linen cloth.

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 17, 2012
            Awesome! Thank you!