Re: basil in my pot is flowering

  • Lady Biya
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 24, 2012
      Okay...yes, I should have specified how I'm growing the basil.

      In my current apartment, I am able to use a combination of outdoor and
      indoor growing in pots. Back in February I bought a couple NK
      growing kits. One was for "salad mix" which did not turn out very
      good and I did not like the greens in it. The other was an herb garb
      with basil, parsley, and something else I don't recognize. The
      parsley has practically taken over that pot!

      Both are long oval window boxes. The pot features a hidden water
      reservoir on the bottom 1/2 inch of the pot. Each is about 9-10
      inches wide and 4-5 inches long.

      The kits included fertilized potting soil.

      Since I don't like the second kit and it's not doing nearly as well, I
      want to just dump it (or should I cut up the old plants, reuse the
      same potting soil, and bury the old plant matter in the soil???) and
      start over with basil so that basil has its own pot.

      The pots are on this apartment's balcony right now; when I first
      started them out, I grew them on the window sill (I started around
      March 1st).

      I am in western Pennsylvania, about 3 hours south and east of Slippery
      Rock (Cooper's Lake -- Pennsic), up in the Allegeny Mountains (similar
      climate to both Pittsburgh PA and Albany NY). Or just typical
      Aethelmearc climate (living here a year I am now convinced the only
      way I'm doing Pennsic is with a hotel stay; the weather here is
      insane!).

      I plan on bringing the pots back in once the temperature starts to
      drop again. I would like to grow year round if that is possible with
      winter window sill growing?

      Lady Biya
      --Laurel A. Rockefeller
      Author, Peers of Beinan Trilogy
      E-Book: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/211181
      ISBN: 9781476243344
      Print book: https://www.createspace.com/3969238
      ISBN 9781479144808
    • Deborah Rackard
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 24, 2012
        I have basil in a large pot and let it bolt without tending.  The heads dried and seeds fell into a pot next to the basil.  That pot now has many "volunteer" plants coming up.

        We have had a really hot summer here in the deep South, but if I'm diligent about watering and cutting off any tops when the plant tries to bolt, I continue to get nice leaves throughout the summer.

        Dametta