Re: [SCA-Herbalist] basil in my pot is flowering

  • Hope Bryant
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 24, 2012
      I would suggest taking a cutting or two with some healthy leaves and putting it in a cup/jar of water. Making sure the water is fresh and not putting into too much sunlight. I managed that with rosemary, mint, and lemon balm. I have yet to try basil.

      On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Rickard, Patty <RICKARPA@...> wrote:

      Sorry I was not clear, my comment was for overwintering inside.

      Ceit

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 24, 2012
        Here are some things I've learned. (And part is from experience, the other from reading, so I am always happy to be corrected if someone knows better!)

        Since you mentioned a potted plant, I wonder if you will be keeping it in- or outdoors. The region you're in will have some effect, of course.

        Basil is an annual plant. So you will either start it from seed the next year, or just buy a new plant. I was lucky enough that mine came up on its own this year from seed it dropped in the garden last year! (I have 2 now as I did not expect this and bought a plant, since I hadn't saved any seed last year to start my own.)
        I have not attempted to bring it over the winter to see if I can keep it going. However I have read in gardening forums that others have success with this. One poster wrote that "the basil doesn't know it's winter if it doesn't get cold." Try it - don't let it fall below 70 degrees!

        If you put it outdoors, whether seedlings or potted, be sure to wait until after the last Spring frost date for your zone. http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-pennsylvania-last-frost-date-map.php

        The rest is more than you asked, but while I was on the topic..........

        This website was designed around MY zone, here in Alabama, but some plant facts still hold true anywhere. ;)
        http://dothan.weedmanusa.com/thyme-for-herbs.aspx

        "moist herbs, such as basils, mints, cilantro, dill, arugula and chives, are better suited to moist, cooler and afternoon shaded locations." Basil likes to be kept moist.

        (I saw some nice tips on this article for sowing indoors)
        http://www.growing-basil.org/how-to-grow-basil-indoors/

        It prefers full sunlight (6+ hours a day of direct light) and a warm climate, meaning more than 70 °F (21 °C) during the day and no colder than 50 °F (10 °C) at night.
        ( http://www.growing-basil.org/how-to-grow-basil-outdoors/ )

        Cutting off the tips down to the intersection of leaves when plants reach about 6- to 8- inches tall makes them branch out and regrow as fuller plants. Cut it regularly so it does not grow leggy. Never cut off more than one-third of its growth at any one time during the growing season for your area. Only cut off more if you are finishing the season. Typically, cut leaves from plants as they are needed. Most herbs reach peak flavor before flowering.

        When planting outdoors, about 2 feet in diameter for each plant.

        ~Aranwen

        --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, Lady Biya <aisinbiya@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know how flowering and plant reproduction works?
        >
        > The basil in my primary flower pot is flowering. I would really like
        > a pot of just basil. Is there any way I can get something from the
        > existing plant that I can use for starting my second pot? I'm finding
        > I really enjoy fresh basil over the dried stuff!
        >
        > How do you get more basil plants from a single plant?
        >

        > Hope this doesn't sound absolutely stupid as a question. I typically
        > have a black thumb and kill any plants I come near!
        >
        > -- Lady Biya
        > --Laurel A. Rockefeller
        > Author, Peers of Beinan Trilogy
        > E-Book: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/211181
        > ISBN: 9781476243344
        > Print book: https://www.createspace.com/3969238
        > ISBN 9781479144808
        >
        > http://contributor.yahoo.com/user/564524/laurel_a_rockefeller.html

      • Lady Biya
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 24, 2012
          Okay...yes, I should have specified how I'm growing the basil.

          In my current apartment, I am able to use a combination of outdoor and
          indoor growing in pots. Back in February I bought a couple NK
          growing kits. One was for "salad mix" which did not turn out very
          good and I did not like the greens in it. The other was an herb garb
          with basil, parsley, and something else I don't recognize. The
          parsley has practically taken over that pot!

          Both are long oval window boxes. The pot features a hidden water
          reservoir on the bottom 1/2 inch of the pot. Each is about 9-10
          inches wide and 4-5 inches long.

          The kits included fertilized potting soil.

          Since I don't like the second kit and it's not doing nearly as well, I
          want to just dump it (or should I cut up the old plants, reuse the
          same potting soil, and bury the old plant matter in the soil???) and
          start over with basil so that basil has its own pot.

          The pots are on this apartment's balcony right now; when I first
          started them out, I grew them on the window sill (I started around
          March 1st).

          I am in western Pennsylvania, about 3 hours south and east of Slippery
          Rock (Cooper's Lake -- Pennsic), up in the Allegeny Mountains (similar
          climate to both Pittsburgh PA and Albany NY). Or just typical
          Aethelmearc climate (living here a year I am now convinced the only
          way I'm doing Pennsic is with a hotel stay; the weather here is
          insane!).

          I plan on bringing the pots back in once the temperature starts to
          drop again. I would like to grow year round if that is possible with
          winter window sill growing?

          Lady Biya
          --Laurel A. Rockefeller
          Author, Peers of Beinan Trilogy
          E-Book: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/211181
          ISBN: 9781476243344
          Print book: https://www.createspace.com/3969238
          ISBN 9781479144808
        • Deborah Rackard
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 24, 2012
            I have basil in a large pot and let it bolt without tending.  The heads dried and seeds fell into a pot next to the basil.  That pot now has many "volunteer" plants coming up.

            We have had a really hot summer here in the deep South, but if I'm diligent about watering and cutting off any tops when the plant tries to bolt, I continue to get nice leaves throughout the summer.

            Dametta