basil in my pot is flowering

  • Lady Biya
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 24 7:18 AM
      Does anyone know how flowering and plant reproduction works?

      The basil in my primary flower pot is flowering. I would really like
      a pot of just basil. Is there any way I can get something from the
      existing plant that I can use for starting my second pot? I'm finding
      I really enjoy fresh basil over the dried stuff!

      How do you get more basil plants from a single plant?

      Hope this doesn't sound absolutely stupid as a question. I typically
      have a black thumb and kill any plants I come near!

      -- Lady Biya
      --Laurel A. Rockefeller
      Author, Peers of Beinan Trilogy
      E-Book: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/211181
      ISBN: 9781476243344
      Print book: https://www.createspace.com/3969238
      ISBN 9781479144808

      http://contributor.yahoo.com/user/564524/laurel_a_rockefeller.html
    • Christy
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 24 7:27 AM

        I took a basil plant to Pennsic that proceeded to burst into flowers when I got there.  We plucked all the flower heads off and used them in a fresh tomato, cucumber, etc. salad and they were a delightful addition.  By pinching off the flower heads, the plant puts more energy into new growth (and more flowers – I’ve had to pinch more off since I’ve gotten home with it), but it should also make the plant bushier and less leggy.

        Good luck!

        Christianna

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 24 7:56 AM

          If you leave some of the flowers, they should make seeds that you can plant in a separate pot. You could also see if any nurseries in your area are having plant sales & buy a basil plant if they have any left, or buy some seeds to plant. Keep it in a sunny window (6-8 hours of sunlight per day).

          Ceit

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 24 8:39 AM
            I have found that too much sun is not good for them. I live in the KOW, and I get 13 hours of daylight, and it is HOT here, and Basil in my garden bolted much earlier than it should have done. But the garden is on the South side of my property and gets sun ALL day; next year I am planting on the East side of my domicile, which would only then get 7 hours of direct sunlight, and afternoon reflected/scattered light, and perhaps not quite as hot all day. Dill was a lost cause this year because of the same issues.

[...]

            No virus found in this message.

          • Rickard, Patty
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 24 8:41 AM

              Sorry I was not clear, my comment was for overwintering inside.

              Ceit

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 24 9:01 AM
                I would suggest taking a cutting or two with some healthy leaves and putting it in a cup/jar of water. Making sure the water is fresh and not putting into too much sunlight. I managed that with rosemary, mint, and lemon balm. I have yet to try basil.

                On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Rickard, Patty <RICKARPA@...> wrote:

[...]

                Hope Bryant
                http://www.drakenhart-studios.net
                http://www.jobfox.com/people/Hope-Bryant
              • aranwen_of_willowford
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 24 11:36 AM
                  Here are some things I've learned. (And part is from experience, the other from reading, so I am always happy to be corrected if someone knows better!)

                  Since you mentioned a potted plant, I wonder if you will be keeping it in- or outdoors. The region you're in will have some effect, of course.

                  Basil is an annual plant. So you will either start it from seed the next year, or just buy a new plant. I was lucky enough that mine came up on its own this year from seed it dropped in the garden last year! (I have 2 now as I did not expect this and bought a plant, since I hadn't saved any seed last year to start my own.)
                  I have not attempted to bring it over the winter to see if I can keep it going. However I have read in gardening forums that others have success with this. One poster wrote that "the basil doesn't know it's winter if it doesn't get cold." Try it - don't let it fall below 70 degrees!

                  If you put it outdoors, whether seedlings or potted, be sure to wait until after the last Spring frost date for your zone. http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-pennsylvania-last-frost-date-map.php

                  The rest is more than you asked, but while I was on the topic..........

                  This website was designed around MY zone, here in Alabama, but some plant facts still hold true anywhere. ;)
                  http://dothan.weedmanusa.com/thyme-for-herbs.aspx

                  "moist herbs, such as basils, mints, cilantro, dill, arugula and chives, are better suited to moist, cooler and afternoon shaded locations." Basil likes to be kept moist.

                  (I saw some nice tips on this article for sowing indoors)
                  http://www.growing-basil.org/how-to-grow-basil-indoors/

                  It prefers full sunlight (6+ hours a day of direct light) and a warm climate, meaning more than 70 °F (21 °C) during the day and no colder than 50 °F (10 °C) at night.
                  ( http://www.growing-basil.org/how-to-grow-basil-outdoors/ )

                  Cutting off the tips down to the intersection of leaves when plants reach about 6- to 8- inches tall makes them branch out and regrow as fuller plants. Cut it regularly so it does not grow leggy. Never cut off more than one-third of its growth at any one time during the growing season for your area. Only cut off more if you are finishing the season. Typically, cut leaves from plants as they are needed. Most herbs reach peak flavor before flowering.

                  When planting outdoors, about 2 feet in diameter for each plant.

                  ~Aranwen

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 24 12:10 PM
                    Okay...yes, I should have specified how I'm growing the basil.

                    In my current apartment, I am able to use a combination of outdoor and
                    indoor growing in pots. Back in February I bought a couple NK
                    growing kits. One was for "salad mix" which did not turn out very
                    good and I did not like the greens in it. The other was an herb garb
                    with basil, parsley, and something else I don't recognize. The
                    parsley has practically taken over that pot!

                    Both are long oval window boxes. The pot features a hidden water
                    reservoir on the bottom 1/2 inch of the pot. Each is about 9-10
                    inches wide and 4-5 inches long.

                    The kits included fertilized potting soil.

                    Since I don't like the second kit and it's not doing nearly as well, I
                    want to just dump it (or should I cut up the old plants, reuse the
                    same potting soil, and bury the old plant matter in the soil???) and
                    start over with basil so that basil has its own pot.

                    The pots are on this apartment's balcony right now; when I first
                    started them out, I grew them on the window sill (I started around
                    March 1st).

                    I am in western Pennsylvania, about 3 hours south and east of Slippery
                    Rock (Cooper's Lake -- Pennsic), up in the Allegeny Mountains (similar
                    climate to both Pittsburgh PA and Albany NY). Or just typical
                    Aethelmearc climate (living here a year I am now convinced the only
                    way I'm doing Pennsic is with a hotel stay; the weather here is
                    insane!).

                    I plan on bringing the pots back in once the temperature starts to
                    drop again. I would like to grow year round if that is possible with
                    winter window sill growing?

                    Lady Biya
                    --Laurel A. Rockefeller
                    Author, Peers of Beinan Trilogy
                    E-Book: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/211181
                    ISBN: 9781476243344
                    Print book: https://www.createspace.com/3969238
                    ISBN 9781479144808
                  • Deborah Rackard
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 24 3:55 PM
                      I have basil in a large pot and let it bolt without tending.  The heads dried and seeds fell into a pot next to the basil.  That pot now has many "volunteer" plants coming up.

                      We have had a really hot summer here in the deep South, but if I'm diligent about watering and cutting off any tops when the plant tries to bolt, I continue to get nice leaves throughout the summer.

                      Dametta