Re: Galingal

  • Alexandra
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 24 7:07 AM
      The Pepperer's Guild has it. Please feel free to write to me directly. suhayma at verizon dot net.

      We're currently selling it at $1.30 per oz.

      Suhayma

    • lilinah@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 24 9:45 AM
        > When my email crashed in late spring, I lost all of my contacts.
        > And apparently everyone at Pennsic wanted galingal as well. At least one merchant sold out.
        > Are there any spice merchants out there who are selling it? If so, please contact me.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > -Carowyn the spiceless

        Galangal is used with great frequency in Indonesian, Thai, Vietnamese, and other Southeast Asian cuisines, so places with Thai or Vietnamese populations will have shops selling it. Also most large multi-Asian markets sell it. And it is also available in some specialty spice shops, some Dutch shops (since they colonized Indonesia), and occasional health food stores.

        It is in the zingiberaceae family along with ginger, turmeric, zedoary, and several other members used in Indonesian and Thai cooking, although they all taste distinctly different from one another. While we may call it a "root", as we do with ginger, it is not a root at all, but a rhizome. A rhizome is an underground stalk that sends out roots, so it is generally more succulent than a root.

        Galangal is available in three forms: fine powder; dried slices or chips; and fresh rhizome or "root".

        The powder loses its flavor very rapidly, even when stored tightly sealed in a cool dark place. So it is best to purchase in small quantities, use within a few months - and discard any left over as it will often be tasteless.

        The dried slices are often found in Thai soups in the US, especially my favorite, Tom Kha Gai. In Thailand they'd use fresh slices, of course, but the fresh is not universally available in the US. The dried slices are a bit fibrous and can be extremely difficult to powder, which can be rough on many electric grinders. Soaking the slices in warm water to cover for an extended period can make them easier to deal with.

        The fresh has, of course, the loveliest flavor and is what would be used in Southeast Asia. For medieval recipes, however, the fresh rhizome would likely not be used.

        Gernot Katzer's Spice Pages is a fabulous resource for information on herbs ands spices from around the world - he does not sell spices. Here is his page with plenty of photos of both fresh and dried galangal:
        http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Alpi_gal.html

        I buy the powder at Lhasa Karnak Herb Company in Berkeley. They do mail order, although their website is not lovely:
        http://www.herb-inc.com/products.html
        They have an amazing range of herbs and spices.

        Many swear by Penzeys, from whom i have never made a purchase. I am not sure where you are located, so here's the webpage with a list of Penzeys retail shops in 29 states:
        http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/penzeysstores.html
        And, of course, they sell over the internet - here's their galangal page:
        http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysgalangal.html

        99 Ranch Market is a chain of 36 multi-Asian supermarkets in Washington, California, Nevada, and Texas. If you're in one of those states, here's their store locator:
        http://www.99ranch.com/store_locator_1.php
        They have galangal in several forms. And much of their seafood is so fresh it is still alive, swimming in tanks.

        Auntie Arwen sells at Pennsic and has a website:
        http://www.auntiearwenspices.com/
        However, when i tried, the listing of individual herbs and spices did not come up. I have e-mailed and i hope the website is fixed soon. She has some really terrific spice and herb blends.

        I was rather surprised to see that World Spice Merchants in Seattle does not have galangal, since they are otherwise quite a wonderland of spice blends.
        http://www.worldspice.com/

        Whole Foods sometimes has fresh galangal in their produce section, at least in the SF Bay Area, and apparently in some other locations as well, according to the internet. I have not looked for galangal in their dried spice section, since small amounts of commercially packaged spices are often pricier than buying in bulk from spice merchants.

        If you are in or near Berkeley, i highly recommend The Berkeley Bowl, especially their much larger and more extensive newer shop near Ashby and San Pablo, which not only has more stuff inside, it has many more parking spots.
        920 Heinz Avenue
        Berkeley, CA 94710
        They sell fresh galangal in their produce section.

        I hope there was something helpful in this long message.

        Urtatim (err-tah-TEEM)
      • Dana Kramer-Rolls
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 24 9:50 AM
          I get it fresh, in the Bay Area, from Berkeley Bowl and Ranch 99.  Lasha Karnak probably has it dried. If you are getting it in the little green boxes, so does Berkeley Bowl, but I haven’t looked.  They carry that line.   Maythen
        • silveroak@juno.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 24 3:43 PM
            Greetings!

            >I hope there was something helpful in this long message.

            There was, thank you!

            Getting some of the contacts back was relieving.

            I know I could get some at an Asian market....if I had one. The closest *may* be half an hour away, also *maybe* 45 minutes away... The one I know of is 1 1/2 hours away, and if I go to Philly, it's 2 1/2 hours in good traffic. (I'm in the suburbs of the foothills of the hinterlands of Pennsylvania, if that makes any sense.)

            I have to conserve resources for a family wedding on Long Island (eep!)as well. Did I mention I'm very much a country mouse?? ;-) So zooming around in the car with these gas prices is a nuh-uh.

            So, I've ordered online. Powdered will work fine, since I'm recreating a recipe out of the Trotula, and not cooking with it.

            I believe I had some of the fresh when I was taken to a Thai restaurant last month for my birthday. NOM.

            I believe it was Auntie Arwen's who ran out of galangal at Pennsic. I tried sending a proxy...didn't work....I love her mixes...

            Thanks to all for your help!

            -Carowyn, soon to be spice-ful ;-)

            Woman is 53 But Looks 25
            http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5038043ae7d4043a16a9st04duc
          • Deborah Rackard
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 24 3:57 PM
              I have found it in Chinese markets, whole and in powdered forms.

              Dametta