Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Oils for wooden bowls?

  • Rosamistica Tomacelli de Greene
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
      I have used olive oil and beeswax (my salve base) to prep a bowl
      before putting my salve in it for competitions. A wood worker
      recommended walnut oil, so I have also used that. That soaks in very
      well, but is harder to find. Be careful with linseed oil as often it
      is adulterated when you buy it now.
      --
      Rosamistica Tomacelli de Greene
      Nec timeo, nec sperno.

      Quoting Hope Bryant <drakenhart@...>:

      > We just received some raw-wood bowls for feast gear. I am under the
      > impression that one could use linseed oil to "preserve" them by creating an
      > oil-based barrier to the elements and food. However, I'm not entirely sure
      > what to use. I was considering olive oil or vegetable oil might also work,
      > but it might also flavor the bowls too much.
      >
      > Thoughts?
      >
      > Ilse
      >
      > --
      > Hope Bryant
      > http://www.drakenhart-studios.net
      > http://www.jobfox.com/people/Hope-Bryant

    • Jennifer Heise
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2012
        I've never had trouble using olive or vegetable oil. Pretty much any food safe oil will work, but you will have to renew it on a regular basis, when the wood looks dry.

        On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 9:30 PM, Hope Bryant <drakenhart@...> wrote:

        We just received some raw-wood bowls for feast gear. I am under the impression that one could use linseed oil to "preserve" them by creating an oil-based barrier to the elements and food. However, I'm not entirely sure what to use. I was considering olive oil or vegetable oil might also work, but it might also flavor the bowls too much.

        Thoughts?

        --
        Jennifer Heise

        known in the SCA as Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
      • joanne@jafath.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2012
          Coincidentally, I recently ran across a reference recommending mineral
          oil (the main ingredient in baby oil and cold cream) for the purpose.

          No flavor, available at the drugstore (they'll probably ask you
          whether you're buying it as a laxative <g>), doesn't go rancid. Check
          the wikipedia entry to investigate.

          Johanna

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2012
            I've used that too.