chamomile tea: how much will this matter in taste?

  • Lady Biya
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30, 2012
      My barony is running a tea brewing competition at Spring Thing this
      Saturday. I decided to go the period route and do a
      chamomile-lavender, especially since it's a good, healthy,
      period-documentable choice of herbs for tea.

      since we have to brew on site, I'm using my room mate's automatic tea
      maker -- which I was told by the judges is in line and acceptable. I
      decided that for the 1 quart required, a recipe of 2 TBSP of loose
      chamomile and 1 1/2 tsp of lavender made a really good balance.

      But as I was creating my zippy bag of pre-measured ingredients, I
      discovered that I'm about 1 tsp short of the recipe. There are no
      places remotely local that sell loose teas; the drug stores and
      supermarkets only sell it in bags. I know a lot of online places, but
      the event is this saturday; impossible to mail order in time.

      Is 5 tsp of chamomile instead of 6 going to be just fine? how much
      impact should I expect?

      I cited Mistress Jadwiga's paper on my documentation. That's all ready to go!

      --
      Biya
    • Jeffrey Pottle
      Message 2 of 5 , May 30, 2012
        If your local grocery store has chamomile tea in bags, you could just cut open a bag and empty it's contents.  It could do in a pinch to pad out the loose chamomile you already have.

        Sent from my Palm Pre on AT&T

      • psn3748@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 5 , May 30, 2012

          That's what i would do as well - to keep the recipe as close to the original as possible.

          Ros

          Message 4 of 5 , May 30, 2012
            great idea!  I cut open a bag I have from Walmart (running low on those too, but I only need one!) and measured.  it's about 4x finer ground than the loose tea, but has about 1 level tsp in it.  just the amount I need!

            THANK YOU!

          • Aly/Cemper
            Message 5 of 5 , May 30, 2012
              I would also do the same; however, I would add an extra .25 TBSP to your mix since supermarket teas are not regulated in terms of packaging and maintaining the oil standard as fresh or dried yourself.
              ~Cemper

              One cannot silly-walk into Mordor.