Re: [SCA-Herbalist] herbaria, was Teaching herbal class

  • Marta McCarthy
    Message 1 of 25 , May 3, 2012
      I'm pretty sure you are asking Johanna, but I thought to share the ones I found.   The first one
      is called An Early Herbarium.  Go to the website, select Plant Kingdom. Some other herbal records there too.
      This second site is both in Italian and English.  It has a photo of an open book in an Italian site.  Luca Ghini was the first person to make an herbarium.
      There is also a written one which talks about the herbs mostly in Italian with Greek and other language names for the plants by Andre Caselpini.  The title is:   Illustratio in hortum siccum Andreae Caesalpini.  "1524 or 5-1603, Cesalpino, Andrea,, Herbaria, Herbarium, Italian"
      I am sorry to say I have the habit of looking at websites, and if I like the content, I cut and paste for later use and then I forget the address for them.  I downloaded the pdf for the book, maybe you can search for it.  I am on my way out right now, and don't have the time.  Maybe later today I can go back and see if I can find the actual websites.  It annoys me, I often have to look for stuff all over again for bibliographies.  I started cutting and pasting the htmls at the end of each work, but for this one I didn't.  : (

      On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Joyce Zeiler <joycehzeiler@...> wrote:

      Where did you find examples of your book?  The thought of making an herbal similar to "The Little Herbal" (Doeden's)  has crossed my mind also.

      On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:14 PM, <joanne@...> wrote:

      Well, actually the term also applies to a room full of specimens.

      But the type of herbarium that interested me was the book of dried
      specimens, usually one to a page, with written notes and often with
      detail drawings as well. As printing technology progressed, more
      drawings and fewer actual specimens. They stole each other's woodcuts
      with wild abandon.

      The descriptions I found usually involved _sewing_ the specimens to
      the (obviously sturdy) page. Since the pages were also _large_, they
      weren't usually bound, as we would define it, but laced together
      (remember photo albums with black pages? Like that.)

      I cheated, printed my pages on the computer and mounted them in vinyl
      page protectors in a binder. But it was a lot of fun, and very