Re: [SCA-Herbalist] herbaria, was Teaching herbal class

  • joanne@jafath.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 30, 2012
      It's been a while since I did this -- I'll see if I can find my sources.

      Johanna

      Quoting "Marta McCarthy" <misigilli@...>:

      > Johanna,
      >
      > May I ask if you have an actual bibliography? I saw the specimens on the
      > pages, I had not noticed they were sewn. I also saw the pictures of the
      > books, but again, had not seen how they were bound. I also saw the added
      > drawings and written descriptions on the facing page on one of them and on
      > another, there were just drawings with descriptions (sometimes quite
      > elaborate) in the next few pages.
      >
      > I have started my personal herbarium with the specimens glued on, the small
      > descriptive card and then placed inside a plastic sleeve (I found them at
      > the art store for portfolios) which were a bit cheaper than the actual
      > scientific ones. I m also using lighter weight paper, as I had started
      > scribing, and then realized that my arthritic hands were not up to it, so I
      > have a few blocks of heavy vellum. A little smaller than the
      > scientific/archival ones, but they are for me to learn and keep, not to
      > archive at the museum.
      >
      > Anyway, I want to do an actual art-sci entry, as it sounds challenging and
      > fun. If you can toss any tidbits of information, I would be grateful. I
      > am also thinking of e-mailingto the universities and maybe some of the
      > places where they have extensive collections of herbaria and see if they
      > can direct me towards some literature and information.
      >
      > In Service,
      > Isabella

    • Joyce Zeiler
      Message 2 of 25 , May 2, 2012
        Where did you find examples of your book?  The thought of making an herbal similar to "The Little Herbal" (Doeden's)  has crossed my mind also.

        Morin

        On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:14 PM, <joanne@...> wrote:

        Well, actually the term also applies to a room full of specimens.

        But the type of herbarium that interested me was the book of dried
        specimens, usually one to a page, with written notes and often with
        detail drawings as well. As printing technology progressed, more
        drawings and fewer actual specimens. They stole each other's woodcuts
        with wild abandon.

        The descriptions I found usually involved _sewing_ the specimens to
        the (obviously sturdy) page. Since the pages were also _large_, they
        weren't usually bound, as we would define it, but laced together
        (remember photo albums with black pages? Like that.)

        I cheated, printed my pages on the computer and mounted them in vinyl
        page protectors in a binder. But it was a lot of fun, and very
        educational.

        Johanna

        Quoting "Marta McCarthy" <misigilli@...>:

        > Johanna,
        > I was wondering, because I was tinkering with the idea. I know they bound
        > them in books, but I had not found any information on how that was done.
        > Did you encounter any of that? I saw a few samples online, so I see how
        > they looked, but they didn't go into details on how they were actually
        > assembled.
        > Isabella

      • Marta McCarthy
        Message 3 of 25 , May 3, 2012

          Morin,
          I'm pretty sure you are asking Johanna, but I thought to share the ones I found.   The first one
          is called An Early Herbarium.  Go to the website, select Plant Kingdom. Some other herbal records there too.

          This second site is both in Italian and English.  It has a photo of an open book in an Italian site.  Luca Ghini was the first person to make an herbarium.

          There is also a written one which talks about the herbs mostly in Italian with Greek and other language names for the plants by Andre Caselpini.  The title is:   Illustratio in hortum siccum Andreae Caesalpini.  "1524 or 5-1603, Cesalpino, Andrea,, Herbaria, Herbarium, Italian"

          I am sorry to say I have the habit of looking at websites, and if I like the content, I cut and paste for later use and then I forget the address for them.  I downloaded the pdf for the book, maybe you can search for it.  I am on my way out right now, and don't have the time.  Maybe later today I can go back and see if I can find the actual websites.  It annoys me, I often have to look for stuff all over again for bibliographies.  I started cutting and pasting the htmls at the end of each work, but for this one I didn't.  : (

          Isabella