Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Teaching herbal class

  • Amy Provost
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 26, 2012
      Everclear is indeed what I think is being referred to as grain alcohol (190 proof).  We cannot get it in Maine and I only use it for extracting thick resins such as frankincense and myrrh, or hard seeds like milk thistle.  Some celiac sufferers have brought up the concern of gluten in regular vodka, so I switched to a potato vodka a few years ago.  Organic is pretty expensive, so I've opted to use the 100 proof Viking Fjord vodka which is imported from Norway.  GMO's are banned from that country as well as many pesticides used here.  It sells for less than half the price of organic.  That's my 2 cents.

      Ameline

      On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Marta McCarthy <misigilli@...> wrote:

      Alas, if I only had my personal recipes.   I think with time I will.  I am but a budding herbalist.   What I will do at the classes is bring a bunch of my favorite books that have recipes that I like and use.  I am also giving each student a very small book ( and a pen) and they can copy any recipe that appeals to them for their own use ( and start their own stillroom mini book).  They can also copy names of books they like.

      I  just came back from a jaunt to Total Wine, and got educated on alcohols.  What I learned is that the more times something is distilled, the fewer the impurities.  I saw a vodka that was distilled 7 times.  It was organic and called "Rain".  It sold for $36 for the 1.5 L bottle.  They also had everclear but I didn't get it as I wasn't sure whether that was what Ros was talking about.

      So Ros, when you say you use grain alcohol are you refering to the everclear or is there something else on the market?

      On a different note, has anyone ever made a period herbarium for an art-sci entry?

      In Service,
      Isabella

      On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 8:39 PM, Vivienne Kestrel <VivienneKestrel@...> wrote:

      Greetings Isabella,

      And now for the question no one has asked yet...
      Are you willing to share your recipes?

      In Service,
      Vivienne

      On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Pamela Nelson <psn3748@...> wrote:

      My preference for making tinctures is pure grain alcohol.  It has had less processing than any vodka.  I use 50/50 grain and water which still gives me the 90 proof.

      As to age, under 18 I require a parent present for the individual to make anything with alcohol.  I do though usually take vinegar for when someone w/out a parent wants to participate.

      Ros

      Sent from my Motorola ATRIX™ 4G on AT&T

      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 26, 2012

        Isabella

        Yes everclear is the brand of grain that i use.

        While each processing removes any impurities, i think we must remember - it is also removing any of the natural tendencies of the plant that was used to create the alcohol.   Perhaps teachings have changed in the last 20+ yrs - but when i began learning and making tincutures - all the herbalists and naturopaths who taught me recommended the grain (everclear) because it was less processed and retained some of the healing tendancies of the grains used to make it.   More processing is not always better.

        Ros

          --
          www.crookedwall.org
          www.bthumbstudios.com

        • psn3748@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 26, 2012

            Ameline

            Everclear is only available here in pennsylvania with a license as well.  But when using it as an herbalist - i had no problem being approved by the state and am able to go to the state store (pa liquore stores) and purchase - i just have to take my license with me each time - and usually have to order it because they no longer keep it in stock.

            Ros

              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 26, 2012
                Florida just had it right on the shelf at Total Wine.  No restrictions on the purchase, at least not in West Palm Beach.
                Isabella

                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 26, 2012

                  Isabella

                  one more note i would make - based on my experience at least.  I make single herb tinctures rather than making blends - that way i can then blend the singles into whatever i may need - so rather than making a tincture for sleep per say - i would make tinctures of chamomile, valerian, lavendar, etc - and then use a small amount of each into the blend - that way when i next need chamomile for something else - i have it ready and waiting.

                  Ros

                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 26, 2012
                    Thanks Ros, that is what I had in mind as well.  I am collecting my personal set of single tinctures at this point. The recipes I have found so far have a combination of single tinctures.  I like the versatility too.
                    Isabella

                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 26, 2012
                      Quoting "Marta McCarthy" <misigilli@...>:

                      <snip>

                      > On a different note, has anyone ever made a period herbarium for an art-sci
                      > entry?

                      I've made a herbarium, yes, and exhibited it, but never entered it in
                      a competition. Mostly because while the content and purpose were
                      period, the method I used wasn't.

                      Johanna
                    • Marta McCarthy
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 26, 2012
                        Johanna,
                        I was wondering, because I was tinkering with the idea.  I know they bound them in books, but I had not found any information on how that was done.  Did you encounter any of that?  I saw  a few samples online, so I see how they looked, but they didn't go into details on how they were actually assembled.
                        Isabella

                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 26, 2012
                          Well, actually the term also applies to a room full of specimens.

                          But the type of herbarium that interested me was the book of dried
                          specimens, usually one to a page, with written notes and often with
                          detail drawings as well. As printing technology progressed, more
                          drawings and fewer actual specimens. They stole each other's woodcuts
                          with wild abandon.

                          The descriptions I found usually involved _sewing_ the specimens to
                          the (obviously sturdy) page. Since the pages were also _large_, they
                          weren't usually bound, as we would define it, but laced together
                          (remember photo albums with black pages? Like that.)

                          I cheated, printed my pages on the computer and mounted them in vinyl
                          page protectors in a binder. But it was a lot of fun, and very
                          educational.

                          Johanna

                          Quoting "Marta McCarthy" <misigilli@...>:

                          > Johanna,
                          > I was wondering, because I was tinkering with the idea. I know they bound
                          > them in books, but I had not found any information on how that was done.
                          > Did you encounter any of that? I saw a few samples online, so I see how
                          > they looked, but they didn't go into details on how they were actually
                          > assembled.
                          > Isabella

                        • Marta McCarthy
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 27, 2012
                            Johanna,

                            May I ask if you have an actual bibliography?  I saw the specimens on the pages, I had not noticed they were sewn.  I also saw the pictures of the books, but again, had not seen how they were bound.  I also saw the added drawings and written descriptions on the facing page on one of them and on another, there were just drawings with descriptions (sometimes quite elaborate) in the next few pages.

                            I have started my personal herbarium with the specimens glued on, the small descriptive card and then placed inside a plastic sleeve (I found them at the art store for portfolios) which were a bit cheaper than the actual scientific ones.  I m also using lighter weight paper, as I had started scribing, and then realized that my arthritic hands were not up to it, so I have a few blocks of heavy vellum.  A little smaller than the scientific/archival ones, but they are for me to learn and keep, not to archive at the museum.

                            Anyway, I want to do an actual art-sci entry, as it sounds challenging and fun.  If you can toss any tidbits of information, I would be grateful.  I am also thinking of e-mailingto the universities and maybe some of the places where they have extensive collections of herbaria and see if they can direct me towards some literature and information.

                            In Service,
                            Isabella
                          • Kirk Spencer
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 27, 2012
                              I think if I were doing this I'd consider making paper from linen fiber as a subset. You could double-entry (or share with another artisan) by making linen quires and make a book in period practice as well.

                              Kirklin

                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 27, 2012
                                That is really an awesome idea! I really wonder why I have never thought about that before.
                                ~Cemper

                                One cannot silly-walk into Mordor.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 28, 2012
                                  Like Ros I make single tinctures and blend them later, it give you  much more control of proportion too.I would recommend 2 books for anyone interested in tincture making:
                                  The Alchemists HAndbook by Frater Albertus
                                  Plant ALchemy by Manfred Junius
                                  They are not period but the informatio is traceable in literature back to the Crusades, also I notice that noone uses astrology in the preparation  etc of the simples and the rulership of the plants....astrology has a long association with healing
                                  Just a few thoughts

                                  http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~panopus

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 30, 2012
                                    It's been a while since I did this -- I'll see if I can find my sources.

                                    Johanna

                                    Quoting "Marta McCarthy" <misigilli@...>:

                                    > Johanna,
                                    >
                                    > May I ask if you have an actual bibliography? I saw the specimens on the
                                    > pages, I had not noticed they were sewn. I also saw the pictures of the
                                    > books, but again, had not seen how they were bound. I also saw the added
                                    > drawings and written descriptions on the facing page on one of them and on
                                    > another, there were just drawings with descriptions (sometimes quite
                                    > elaborate) in the next few pages.
                                    >
                                    > I have started my personal herbarium with the specimens glued on, the small
                                    > descriptive card and then placed inside a plastic sleeve (I found them at
                                    > the art store for portfolios) which were a bit cheaper than the actual
                                    > scientific ones. I m also using lighter weight paper, as I had started
                                    > scribing, and then realized that my arthritic hands were not up to it, so I
                                    > have a few blocks of heavy vellum. A little smaller than the
                                    > scientific/archival ones, but they are for me to learn and keep, not to
                                    > archive at the museum.
                                    >
                                    > Anyway, I want to do an actual art-sci entry, as it sounds challenging and
                                    > fun. If you can toss any tidbits of information, I would be grateful. I
                                    > am also thinking of e-mailingto the universities and maybe some of the
                                    > places where they have extensive collections of herbaria and see if they
                                    > can direct me towards some literature and information.
                                    >
                                    > In Service,
                                    > Isabella

                                  • Joyce Zeiler
                                    Message 17 of 25 , May 2, 2012
                                      Where did you find examples of your book?  The thought of making an herbal similar to "The Little Herbal" (Doeden's)  has crossed my mind also.

                                      Morin

                                      On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:14 PM, <joanne@...> wrote:

                                      Well, actually the term also applies to a room full of specimens.

                                      But the type of herbarium that interested me was the book of dried
                                      specimens, usually one to a page, with written notes and often with
                                      detail drawings as well. As printing technology progressed, more
                                      drawings and fewer actual specimens. They stole each other's woodcuts
                                      with wild abandon.

                                      The descriptions I found usually involved _sewing_ the specimens to
                                      the (obviously sturdy) page. Since the pages were also _large_, they
                                      weren't usually bound, as we would define it, but laced together
                                      (remember photo albums with black pages? Like that.)

                                      I cheated, printed my pages on the computer and mounted them in vinyl
                                      page protectors in a binder. But it was a lot of fun, and very
                                      educational.

                                      Johanna

                                      Quoting "Marta McCarthy" <misigilli@...>:

                                      > Johanna,
                                      > I was wondering, because I was tinkering with the idea. I know they bound
                                      > them in books, but I had not found any information on how that was done.
                                      > Did you encounter any of that? I saw a few samples online, so I see how
                                      > they looked, but they didn't go into details on how they were actually
                                      > assembled.
                                      > Isabella

                                    • Marta McCarthy
                                      Message 18 of 25 , May 3, 2012

                                        Morin,
                                        I'm pretty sure you are asking Johanna, but I thought to share the ones I found.   The first one
                                        is called An Early Herbarium.  Go to the website, select Plant Kingdom. Some other herbal records there too.

                                        This second site is both in Italian and English.  It has a photo of an open book in an Italian site.  Luca Ghini was the first person to make an herbarium.

                                        There is also a written one which talks about the herbs mostly in Italian with Greek and other language names for the plants by Andre Caselpini.  The title is:   Illustratio in hortum siccum Andreae Caesalpini.  "1524 or 5-1603, Cesalpino, Andrea,, Herbaria, Herbarium, Italian"

                                        I am sorry to say I have the habit of looking at websites, and if I like the content, I cut and paste for later use and then I forget the address for them.  I downloaded the pdf for the book, maybe you can search for it.  I am on my way out right now, and don't have the time.  Maybe later today I can go back and see if I can find the actual websites.  It annoys me, I often have to look for stuff all over again for bibliographies.  I started cutting and pasting the htmls at the end of each work, but for this one I didn't.  : (

                                        Isabella