RE: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: geraniums

  • jack hollandbeck
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
      Thank you very much. Oh, I thought my sister-in-law was the only one with two "N's" in her name. lol
      Jack

      To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
      From: avacyn@...
      Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 12:30:11 -0800
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: geraniums

      Jack,
      There is another way to collect essential oils from plants but its very time consuming and labor intensive.  It involves pressing flowers very carefully and separating the oil from the juice. (Like any oil, it floats.) Distillation makes it easier but the flower press method (not an olive press, something more delicate) was used.  Another method is to collect the oil from the center of the flower, a drop or two at a time, in the morning as the flower heats up from the sun.
      Dianna
      Thank you. You have helped me. As for essential oils, distillation was a medieval invention. I suppose the ancients would have used something like an olive press. I bet that they would need a lot of leaves to get a drop of oil, if they even did that. Hmmm.