RE: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: geraniums

  • jack hollandbeck
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
      Thank you. You have helped me. As for essential oils, distillation was a medieval invention. I suppose the ancients would have used something like an olive press. I bet that they would need a lot of leaves to get a drop of oil, if they even did that. Hmmm.
      Jack

      > To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
      > From: psn3748@...
      > Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 22:45:35 +0000
      > Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: geraniums
      >
      > Jack
      >
      > Geranium does have antiseptic and asringent properties as well as sedative properties - it is also great when used in creams for the skin; however i have never heard of it having antibiotic tendancies nor being effective in killing MRSA - not that it can't - i have just never heard of it.
      >
      > The geranium discussed though is not the bright colored ones that we see in the summer gardens. it is from the species Pelargonium - usually Geranium Robert - often referred to as scented geraniums in your neighborhood herb shop or greenhouse. they are perannials in the southern regions of the nation; however here in the north are tender perannials which must be brought in to winter in a protected place - and they are to my experience rather difficult to get to survive over the winter.
      >
      > Essential oils - are pure oils extracted from the leaves of such plants - usually thru a distillation process. These oils are available in your neighborhood health food or herbal store. Just be sure that you are purchasing essential oils and not perfume oils. there is a huge difference - perfume oils are for the most part synthetic and don't have the healing properties of the essential oils.
      >
      > hope this helps.
      >
      > Ros
      >

      > --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <original_xman@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I was talking with a woman the other day and she told me that geraniums were anti-septic, anti-biotic, and even killed MRSA immediately. I wasn't able to get all the details because of time. But she did say that she liked to work with essential oils. So is she right about geraniums? and what are essential oils?
      > > Jack

      > <*> Your email settings:
      > Individual Email | Traditional
      >
      > <*> To change settings online go to:
      > (Yahoo! ID required)
      >
      > <*> To change settings via email:
      > SCA-Herbalist-digest@yahoogroups.com
      > SCA-Herbalist-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • jack hollandbeck
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
        My heroes.

        To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
        From: sparrowhawk9@...
        Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 05:34:06 -0500
        Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: geraniums

        Actually, that's true!  I use rose geranium as part of my homemade insect repellant.

        On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 10:00 PM, Sara Glaze <sorcha@...> wrote:

        I was told it also has a sent that flea's and tics dont like the smell of. We put a couple drops on each of our dogs collars. They seem pretty bug free and don't smell half bad either : )

        Sorcha

        --
        www.crookedwall.org
        www.bthumbstudios.com

      • jack hollandbeck
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
          Great. More research to do. lol I had MRSA once. My doc got excited in an ER way. It is a bad thing but is killed by tetracycline. That is better in today's urban world I think. Meanwhile, back to research. Thanks so much.
          Jack

          To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
          From: joycehzeiler@...
          Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 11:52:38 -0600
          Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] geraniums

          Hi Jack-

          Try searching

          http://www.scribd.com/doc/28813962/Medicinal-and-Aromatic-Plants-Linum

          LONG but describes the difference in the two genus.

          http://www.academicjournals.org/JMPR/PDF/pdf2011/4July/Saraswathi%20et%20al.pdf

          technical, but very interesting

          The short answer is the essential oil contains, among other things geraniol which does show anti-microbial effects.  A couple of studies were done in Europe using geraniol in  combination with citracidal (grapefruit seed extract).  These studies showed some favor against MRSA, however they were very small studies.  I don't think it would hurt to use geraniol, but give me Vancomycin, too.

          Geraniums also carry a component of citronella- so,yes, it does work as a natural insect repellent!

          essential oils (EO) - A volatile aromatic liquid constituting the odorous principles of botanical matter

          Morin

          On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Richard <original_xman@...> wrote:

          I was talking with a woman the other day and she told me that geraniums were anti-septic, anti-biotic, and even killed MRSA immediately. I wasn't able to get all the details because of time. But she did say that she liked to work with essential oils. So is she right about geraniums? and what are essential oils?
          Jack

        • Dianna
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
            Jack,
            There is another way to collect essential oils from plants but its very time consuming and labor intensive.  It involves pressing flowers very carefully and separating the oil from the juice. (Like any oil, it floats.) Distillation makes it easier but the flower press method (not an olive press, something more delicate) was used.  Another method is to collect the oil from the center of the flower, a drop or two at a time, in the morning as the flower heats up from the sun.
            Dianna

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
              Thank you very much. Oh, I thought my sister-in-law was the only one with two "N's" in her name. lol
              Jack

              To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com