geraniums

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
      I was talking with a woman the other day and she told me that geraniums were anti-septic, anti-biotic, and even killed MRSA immediately. I wasn't able to get all the details because of time. But she did say that she liked to work with essential oils. So is she right about geraniums? and what are essential oils?
      Jack
    • Pamela Soaring Raven
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012

        Geranium does have antiseptic and asringent properties as well as sedative properties - it is also great when used in creams for the skin; however i have never heard of it having antibiotic tendancies nor being effective in killing MRSA - not that it can't - i have just never heard of it.

        The geranium discussed though is not the bright colored ones that we see in the summer gardens. it is from the species Pelargonium - usually Geranium Robert - often referred to as scented geraniums in your neighborhood herb shop or greenhouse. they are perannials in the southern regions of the nation; however here in the north are tender perannials which must be brought in to winter in a protected place - and they are to my experience rather difficult to get to survive over the winter.

        Essential oils - are pure oils extracted from the leaves of such plants - usually thru a distillation process. These oils are available in your neighborhood health food or herbal store. Just be sure that you are purchasing essential oils and not perfume oils. there is a huge difference - perfume oils are for the most part synthetic and don't have the healing properties of the essential oils.

        hope this helps.

        Ros

        --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <original_xman@...> wrote:

        > I was talking with a woman the other day and she told me that geraniums were anti-septic, anti-biotic, and even killed MRSA immediately. I wasn't able to get all the details because of time. But she did say that she liked to work with essential oils. So is she right about geraniums? and what are essential oils?
        > Jack

      • Sara Glaze
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
          I was told it also has a sent that flea's and tics dont like the smell of. We put a couple drops on each of our dogs collars. They seem pretty bug free and don't smell half bad either : )

          Sorcha
          Geranium does have antiseptic and asringent properties as well as sedative properties - it is also great when used in creams for the skin; however i have never heard of it having antibiotic tendancies nor being effective in killing MRSA - not that it can't - i have just never heard of it.

          The geranium discussed though is not the bright colored ones that we see in the summer gardens. it is from the species Pelargonium - usually Geranium Robert - often referred to as scented geraniums in your neighborhood herb shop or greenhouse. they are perannials in the southern regions of the nation; however here in the north are tender perannials which must be brought in to winter in a protected place - and they are to my experience rather difficult to get to survive over the winter.

          Essential oils - are pure oils extracted from the leaves of such plants - usually thru a distillation process. These oils are available in your neighborhood health food or herbal store. Just be sure that you are purchasing essential oils and not perfume oils. there is a huge difference - perfume oils are for the most part synthetic and don't have the healing properties of the essential oils.

          hope this helps.

          Ros

          --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <original_xman@...> wrote:

          > I was talking with a woman the other day and she told me that geraniums were anti-septic, anti-biotic, and even killed MRSA immediately. I wasn't able to get all the details because of time. But she did say that she liked to work with essential oils. So is she right about geraniums? and what are essential oils?
          > Jack

        • Amy Provost
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 8, 2012
            Actually, that's true!  I use rose geranium as part of my homemade insect repellant.

            --
            www.crookedwall.org
            www.bthumbstudios.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 8, 2012

              Hi,

              If we are thinking of the same Geranium Robert - it IS actually genus Geranium, rather than Pelargonium (it’s often called wild geranium). The bright (usually) red ones we see in the summer are Pelargoniums as are the scented geraniums. Both genera seem to have medicinal properties.

              Ceit

              The geranium discussed though is not the bright colored ones that we see in the summer gardens. it is from the species Pelargonium - usually Geranium Robert - often referred to as scented geraniums in your neighborhood herb shop or greenhouse.

              Ros

            • Joyce Zeiler
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 8, 2012
                Hi Jack-

                Try searching

                http://www.scribd.com/doc/28813962/Medicinal-and-Aromatic-Plants-Linum

                LONG but describes the difference in the two genus.

                http://www.academicjournals.org/JMPR/PDF/pdf2011/4July/Saraswathi%20et%20al.pdf

                technical, but very interesting

                The short answer is the essential oil contains, among other things geraniol which does show anti-microbial effects.  A couple of studies were done in Europe using geraniol in  combination with citracidal (grapefruit seed extract).  These studies showed some favor against MRSA, however they were very small studies.  I don't think it would hurt to use geraniol, but give me Vancomycin, too.

                Geraniums also carry a component of citronella- so,yes, it does work as a natural insect repellent!

                essential oils (EO) - A volatile aromatic liquid constituting the odorous principles of botanical matter

                Morin

                On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Richard <original_xman@...> wrote:

                I was talking with a woman the other day and she told me that geraniums were anti-septic, anti-biotic, and even killed MRSA immediately. I wasn't able to get all the details because of time. But she did say that she liked to work with essential oils. So is she right about geraniums? and what are essential oils?
                Jack

              • jack hollandbeck
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
                  Thank you. You have helped me. As for essential oils, distillation was a medieval invention. I suppose the ancients would have used something like an olive press. I bet that they would need a lot of leaves to get a drop of oil, if they even did that. Hmmm.
                  Jack

                  > To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: psn3748@...
                  > Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 22:45:35 +0000
                  > Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: geraniums
                  >
                  > Jack
                  >
                  > Geranium does have antiseptic and asringent properties as well as sedative properties - it is also great when used in creams for the skin; however i have never heard of it having antibiotic tendancies nor being effective in killing MRSA - not that it can't - i have just never heard of it.
                  >
                  > The geranium discussed though is not the bright colored ones that we see in the summer gardens. it is from the species Pelargonium - usually Geranium Robert - often referred to as scented geraniums in your neighborhood herb shop or greenhouse. they are perannials in the southern regions of the nation; however here in the north are tender perannials which must be brought in to winter in a protected place - and they are to my experience rather difficult to get to survive over the winter.
                  >
                  > Essential oils - are pure oils extracted from the leaves of such plants - usually thru a distillation process. These oils are available in your neighborhood health food or herbal store. Just be sure that you are purchasing essential oils and not perfume oils. there is a huge difference - perfume oils are for the most part synthetic and don't have the healing properties of the essential oils.
                  >
                  > hope this helps.
                  >
                  > Ros
                  >

                  > --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <original_xman@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I was talking with a woman the other day and she told me that geraniums were anti-septic, anti-biotic, and even killed MRSA immediately. I wasn't able to get all the details because of time. But she did say that she liked to work with essential oils. So is she right about geraniums? and what are essential oils?
                  > > Jack

                  > <*> Your email settings:
                  > Individual Email | Traditional
                  >
                  > <*> To change settings online go to:
                  > (Yahoo! ID required)
                  >
                  > <*> To change settings via email:
                  > SCA-Herbalist-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  > SCA-Herbalist-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • jack hollandbeck
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
                    Very cool. Thanks as always, Sorcha. Might be good in people soap on campouts.
                    Jack

                    To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
                    From: sorcha@...
                    Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 22:00:55 -0500
                    Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: geraniums

                    I was told it also has a sent that flea's and tics dont like the smell of. We put a couple drops on each of our dogs collars. They seem pretty bug free and don't smell half bad either : )

                    Sorcha
                    Geranium does have antiseptic and asringent properties as well as sedative properties - it is also great when used in creams for the skin; however i have never heard of it having antibiotic tendancies nor being effective in killing MRSA - not that it can't - i have just never heard of it.

                    The geranium discussed though is not the bright colored ones that we see in the summer gardens. it is from the species Pelargonium - usually Geranium Robert - often referred to as scented geraniums in your neighborhood herb shop or greenhouse. they are perannials in the southern regions of the nation; however here in the north are tender perannials which must be brought in to winter in a protected place - and they are to my experience rather difficult to get to survive over the winter.

                    Essential oils - are pure oils extracted from the leaves of such plants - usually thru a distillation process. These oils are available in your neighborhood health food or herbal store. Just be sure that you are purchasing essential oils and not perfume oils. there is a huge difference - perfume oils are for the most part synthetic and don't have the healing properties of the essential oils.

                    hope this helps.

                    Ros

                    --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <original_xman@...> wrote:

                    > I was talking with a woman the other day and she told me that geraniums were anti-septic, anti-biotic, and even killed MRSA immediately. I wasn't able to get all the details because of time. But she did say that she liked to work with essential oils. So is she right about geraniums? and what are essential oils?
                    > Jack

                  • jack hollandbeck
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
                      My heroes.

                      To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                      --
                      www.crookedwall.org
                      www.bthumbstudios.com

                    • jack hollandbeck
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
                        Great. More research to do. lol I had MRSA once. My doc got excited in an ER way. It is a bad thing but is killed by tetracycline. That is better in today's urban world I think. Meanwhile, back to research. Thanks so much.
                        Jack

                        To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
                          Jack,
                          There is another way to collect essential oils from plants but its very time consuming and labor intensive.  It involves pressing flowers very carefully and separating the oil from the juice. (Like any oil, it floats.) Distillation makes it easier but the flower press method (not an olive press, something more delicate) was used.  Another method is to collect the oil from the center of the flower, a drop or two at a time, in the morning as the flower heats up from the sun.
                          Dianna

                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
                            Thank you very much. Oh, I thought my sister-in-law was the only one with two "N's" in her name. lol
                            Jack

                            To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com