Re: [SCA-Herbalist] woad

  • Charlie Farrow
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2011
      The Problem of the Woad
      http://cyberpict.net/sgathan/essays/woad.htm
      Charlie

      On 30 November 2011 19:04, jack hollandbeck <original_xman@...> wrote:

      Thank you.
      Jack

      To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
      From: joycehzeiler@...
      Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 14:16:21 -0600
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] woad

      It stinks!  Which is probably one of the reasons indigo took the place of woad.  This link might help

      Morin
      On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Richard <original_xman@...> wrote:

      Good morning with a temperamental internet connection. I just read that woad has antibacterial properties. Does anyone know about this? I have also been reading new theories emphasizing the spiritual/religious aspect ancient Celtic "tattooing" or body painting. May be related to further understanding of properties of woad. Why the sudden renewal of this by scholars. Hmmm, what other research is out there? Anything else I should know about uses or properties of woad?
      Jack

    • sigilli
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2011
        Charlie,
        That was an informative link, I particularly enjoyed some of the bibliography.  My favorite part was how a modern tattoo artist used woad on a volunteer, and (among other things) it did not stay blue.  Even more interesting were the reviews on each of the books.  Thank you for posting it.
        Isabella

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2011
          Hmmm, I need to read it again. Thanks so much. It is not surprising that woad may turn out to be a historical "urban myth."
          Jack

          To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
          From: charlie.farrow@...
          Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 13:33:20 +0000

          To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 25, 2011
            intresting paper

            --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, jack hollandbeck <original_xman@...> wrote:

            > Hmmm, I need to read it again. Thanks so much. It is not surprising that woad may turn out to be a historical "urban myth."Jack
            >
            > To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
            > From: charlie.farrow@...
            > Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 13:33:20 +0000
            > Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] woad

            > The Problem of the Woadhttp://cyberpict.net/sgathan/essays/woad.htmCharlie
            >

            > On 30 November 2011 19:04, jack hollandbeck <original_xman@...> wrote:

            > Thank you.Jack
            >
            > To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
            > From: joycehzeiler@...
            >
            > Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 14:16:21 -0600
            > Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] woad

            > It stinks! Which is probably one of the reasons indigo took the place of woad. This link might help
            >
            > http://pharmacology.georgetown.edu/urbanherbs/Tinctoria.htm
            >
            > Morin
            >
            > On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Richard <original_xman@...> wrote:
            >

            > Good morning with a temperamental internet connection. I just read that woad has antibacterial properties. Does anyone know about this? I have also been reading new theories emphasizing the spiritual/religious aspect ancient Celtic "tattooing" or body painting. May be related to further understanding of properties of woad. Why the sudden renewal of this by scholars. Hmmm, what other research is out there? Anything else I should know about uses or properties of woad?
            >

            > Jack

          • hecowan
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 26, 2011
              Re: woad