woad

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 29, 2011
      Good morning with a temperamental internet connection. I just read that woad has antibacterial properties. Does anyone know about this? I have also been reading new theories emphasizing the spiritual/religious aspect ancient Celtic "tattooing" or body painting. May be related to further understanding of properties of woad. Why the sudden renewal of this by scholars. Hmmm, what other research is out there? Anything else I should know about uses or properties of woad?
      Jack
    • Joyce Zeiler
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 29, 2011
        It stinks!  Which is probably one of the reasons indigo took the place of woad.  This link might help

        Morin
        On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Richard <original_xman@...> wrote:

        Good morning with a temperamental internet connection. I just read that woad has antibacterial properties. Does anyone know about this? I have also been reading new theories emphasizing the spiritual/religious aspect ancient Celtic "tattooing" or body painting. May be related to further understanding of properties of woad. Why the sudden renewal of this by scholars. Hmmm, what other research is out there? Anything else I should know about uses or properties of woad?
        Jack

      • jack hollandbeck
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 30, 2011
          Thank you.
          Jack

          To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2011
            The Problem of the Woad
            http://cyberpict.net/sgathan/essays/woad.htm
            Charlie

            On 30 November 2011 19:04, jack hollandbeck <original_xman@...> wrote:

            Thank you.
            Jack

            To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2011
              Charlie,
              That was an informative link, I particularly enjoyed some of the bibliography.  My favorite part was how a modern tattoo artist used woad on a volunteer, and (among other things) it did not stay blue.  Even more interesting were the reviews on each of the books.  Thank you for posting it.
              Isabella

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 4, 2011
                Hmmm, I need to read it again. Thanks so much. It is not surprising that woad may turn out to be a historical "urban myth."
                Jack

                To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
                From: charlie.farrow@...
                Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 13:33:20 +0000

                To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 25, 2011
                  intresting paper

                  --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, jack hollandbeck <original_xman@...> wrote:

                  > Hmmm, I need to read it again. Thanks so much. It is not surprising that woad may turn out to be a historical "urban myth."Jack
                  >
                  > To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: charlie.farrow@...
                  > Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 13:33:20 +0000
                  > Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] woad

                  > The Problem of the Woadhttp://cyberpict.net/sgathan/essays/woad.htmCharlie
                  >

                  > On 30 November 2011 19:04, jack hollandbeck <original_xman@...> wrote:

                  > Thank you.Jack
                  >
                  > To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: joycehzeiler@...
                  >
                  > Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 14:16:21 -0600
                  > Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] woad

                  > It stinks! Which is probably one of the reasons indigo took the place of woad. This link might help
                  >
                  > http://pharmacology.georgetown.edu/urbanherbs/Tinctoria.htm
                  >
                  > Morin
                  >
                  > On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Richard <original_xman@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > Good morning with a temperamental internet connection. I just read that woad has antibacterial properties. Does anyone know about this? I have also been reading new theories emphasizing the spiritual/religious aspect ancient Celtic "tattooing" or body painting. May be related to further understanding of properties of woad. Why the sudden renewal of this by scholars. Hmmm, what other research is out there? Anything else I should know about uses or properties of woad?
                  >

                  > Jack

                • hecowan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 26, 2011
                    Re: woad