worrysome woad

  • Aly/Cemper
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2011
      I so extremely jelous that I'm green with envy. A nice deepish spring green I may say.

      >My woad, however, I'm getting precipitate again! *rubs hands
      > gleefully*
      > There's a blue dye in my future!! I'm going to add it to the stuff
      > I got
      > this past winter!
      >and woad likes the cool, damp weather...

      I attempted ATTEMPTED to grow woad this past summer and when I saw little sprouts I was delighted. Not so delighted when I realized that my sprouts turned into fireweed (a weed in Alaska). I've done research on woad and some suggest planting seedlings indoors and then transferring them outdoors. Research does not neccessarily mean results and book sense does not always equate common sense in planting. Some suggested just planting in the ground as the seedlings do not transfer well. Whilst I realize that woad and I may have a rocky relationship, I am determined to grow it and have no problems with it taking over my garden. It can go where it pleases. So, before I invest in another  packet of woad seeds, could someone provide some insight on growing woad. My black thumb...or blue if you please... is challenged. I don't know if it will grow in Alaska (guess I'll find out) but I'll grow it in a pot if I have too. Any advice woad be welcome (couldn't help myself).
      Thanks!
      The Confused Celt-Cemper!

      One cannot silly-walk into Mordor.
    • Hope Bryant
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2011
        Please, for the love of the rest of the environment out side of your garden, don't "just" plant it. ^.^ If any of the seeds gets out, or the root system, it could spread and is considered an "invasive" type species. :/

        I bought large plastic "buckets" with rope handles that I plant to fill with good soil and try and grow the seeds in that. I didn't manage to get to it this year due to various issues with money. This is big enough to put out of doors as needed, or to bring it into the house. Thus limiting transplant issues. It may take two folks to move it once it is filled. This is my hope for next year. :)

        --
        Hope Bryant
        http://www.drakenhart-studios.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2011

          Hi!

          I buy mine already sprouted from a local nursery, and I plant mine in a pot that I sink into the ground in a corner of the garden.  that way I can keep an eye on them, and when it comes to seeds, I can keep them contained  (And now that I know the seeds are also a dye, I'm not gonna throw them out next year!  *thud*)

          Again, I only had a double handful of leaves, but I'll add them to the previous batch, and blue will happen!!

          Maybe if you sow your seeds in a pot, and maybe even put some clear plastic over the top, it'll make sure your seedling are the right ones??

          -determined Carowyn