thorn in my.....foot

  • nejma@tds.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 27, 2001
      Hi everyone I hope you all made the change over smoothly. Well I am
      here again to ask for some opinons. Yesterday I was outside barefoot,
      *holds up her hand* Please I know, I am a mom and having given the
      I told you so lecture many times. Anyway I steped on a dead plum tree
      branch, and one of the larger throns went into the arch of my foot and
      broke off pretty deep. I can get in to dig it out. Is there any
      suggestions on what to soak my foot in to help me get it out? I would
      prefere not to go to the doctor unless absolutely nessary.
    • garadh@erols.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 27, 2001
        I would try an epson salt bath for your foot.

        Cairistiona
      • Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 29, 2001
          > broke off pretty deep. I can get in to dig it out. Is there any
          > suggestions on what to soak my foot in to help me get it out? I would
          > prefere not to go to the doctor unless absolutely nessary.

          If you have epsom salts, make up a footbath with the epsom salts according
          to the directions. I've also had good luck with a baking soda foot soak (a
          handful of baking soda in a basin of warm water).
          "Our kingdom is a garden and such gardens are not made/By singing "Oh how
          beautiful!" and sitting in the shade..." --Kipling, "Glory of the Garden"
        • david ball
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 29, 2001
            I am presuming this thorn is too large and deep for this to work, but I did
            learn another use for duct tape :-) If you have one of those small annoying
            slivers or cactus thorns that you just can't get tweezers on, can't quite
            see, but hurts real good when ever you brush against it, stick some duct
            tape over the area and lift off. Frequently the offending sticker will come
            out as the tape comes off.

            David Falcone D'el Phoid
          • Steven H. Mesnick
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 29, 2001
              JADWIGA SAID:
              > If you have epsom salts, make up a footbath with the epsom salts according
              > to the directions. I've also had good luck with a baking soda foot soak (a
              > handful of baking soda in a basin of warm water).

              Yes, I'd also recommend soaking in Epsom salts.

              There is also Ichthammol Ointment (a/k/a "Drawing Salve") which is an
              old standby for "drawing out" foreign matter of this nature. I feel
              that's an old wives' tale, but worth a try I suppose. A search on Google
              shows sites touting it as a keratolytic, and as an emollient. It's, at
              least, mildly antiseptic.

              Steve Mesnick, RPh
              (Steffan's a lawyer, what does *he* know?)

              --
              ============ Baron Steffan ap Kennydd ================
              Silverwing's Laws: http://pobox.com/~steffan/laws.html
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 30, 2001
                > There is also Ichthammol Ointment (a/k/a "Drawing Salve") which is an
                > old standby for "drawing out" foreign matter of this nature. I feel
                > that's an old wives' tale, but worth a try I suppose. A search on Google
                > shows sites touting it as a keratolytic, and as an emollient. It's, at
                > least, mildly antiseptic.

                _That's_ what Drawing Salve is! Thanks, Steffan! (And welcome to the
                list.)

              • g4619@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 31, 2001
                  In a message dated 1/29/2001 10:48:43 AM Central Standard Time,
                  jenne@... writes:

                  << broke off pretty deep. I can get in to dig it out. Is there any
                  > suggestions on what to soak my foot in to help me get it out? I would
                  > prefere not to go to the doctor unless absolutely nessary.

                  If you have epsom salts, make up a footbath with the epsom salts according
                  to the directions. I've also had good luck with a baking soda foot soak (a
                  handful of baking soda in a basin of warm water).
                  -- >>
                  Hi, One of the best pulling out herbs there is is plantain. I usually grab a
                  handful and mash it with the morter and pestle for a minute and then place it
                  on the wound, sting, or splinter and put a bandage over it. If you can't
                  find fresh plantain, get a salve with plantain in it (first or second
                  ingrediant). The herb usually works within 12-24 hours.
                  Ambray