salve

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 23 9:29 AM
      Good morning. I may have missed this from earlier strands......what would be a good period salve for use after a tattoo or a brand?
      Jack
    • Charlie Farrow
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 6, 2011
        Leek juice.

        The oldest known description of tattoo techniques together with a
        formula for tattoo ink, is found in Medicae artis principes by the
        sixth century Roman physician, Aetius.

        He writes:

        Stigmates are the marks that are made on the face and other parts of
        the body. We see such marks on the hands of soldiers. To perform the
        operation they use ink made according to this formula:

        Egyptian pine wood (acacia) and especially the bark, one pound;
        corroded bronze, two ounces; gall, two ounces; vitriol, one ounce. Mix
        well and sift.

        Grind the corroded bronze with vinegar and mix it with the other
        ingredients to make a powder. Soak the powder in two parts of water
        and one part of leek juice and mix thoroughly.

        First wash the place to be tattooed with leek juice and then prick in
        the design with pointed needles until blood is drawn. Then rub in the
        ink.

        Lynsey Allason Jones is the expert in Roman tattoos (her book Women in
        Roman Britain is excellent too!)
        http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press.release/item/1156851242

        Charlie