Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Herbs and Modern Medicine Side Effects

  • Heather Lambert
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 14, 2011
      I took two years in vet tech school, so even though some of the meds are different, my medical lingo is pretty good. I will look into this book. Thanks bunches!

      ~Ketta

      On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 2:09 AM, sigilli <sigilli@...> wrote:

      There is a very specific guide for this, and it is the Professionals Handbook of Complementary & Alternative medicines.  It lists all herbs and tells you dosages and contraindications to prescribed medications and medical conditions.  You must be able to decipher medical language as it is written for medically oriented folks.  You also must know the category of the medication you are taking, for example you must know that aspirin is an anticoagulant.

      One of my favorite points of this book is that it gives you not just one name for an herb, but many other names that it may be known by.  For example under  "Goldenseal" they also have Eye Balm, Eye Root, Goldseigel, Ground Raspberry, Indian Eye, Indian Turmeric, Jaundice Root, Yellow Paint, Yellow Puccoon, and Yellow Root.  They then list the taxonomy and the common trade names.
      So maybe this is useful, maybe it is confusing.  It is, however, quite thorough.  German E Commission as Morin mentions is also excellent and it will tell you what is approved and what is not approved.
      Good luck!
      Isabella
      P.S.  Both books can be found on Amazon