anti itch ointment

  • Magdalena
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 8, 2011
      Greetings one and all. I have completed my first ointment. It is an anti-itch ointment. I made a hot oil infusion of plaintain leaves then "thickened" it with beeswax. I enjoyed the process as much as the end product.

      All I need now is to itch so I can try it out.

      Can any of you recommend what herb(s) to use for VERY sensitive skin that is prone to eczema? I was thinking some of the healing herbs?

      I'd love to hear your ideas!

      YIS
      Magdalena
    • Dana Kramer-Rolls
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 16, 2011
        Re: liver warning.  A little story, which I may have posted before, regarding scary warnings.  Pennyroyal, comfrey, dozens of common medicinal and culinary herbs have come under attack.  When I was a little girl, very little, like 5 or so, which is a lot of decades ago, my grandmother (not an old granny, mind you, but an opera singer and teacher) taught me how to use peppermint oil for tummy aches.  Peppermint oil is poisonous, as are most essential oils taken in large doses.  At the time, you could get peppermint oil at your local pharmacist.  She showed me how to use just one or two drops in a glass of water, with the warning about how too much was very, very bad, but just the right dose was helpful.  Never forgot it.  Thyme is a really good hallucinogen. As is nutmeg and about a thousand other common herbs, spices, nuts, and roots. Everything can be deadly, including too much water. I know we all know this, but I just felt the urge to share my childhood tale.   I suppose butterbur is just fine in reasonable doses.  And most of the things we all take, Ibuprofen included, will eventually do in your kidneys and liver.  And don't you love the pharmecutcal ads on TV, where happy looking people are doing happy looking things, while the voice-over is telling you that this wonderful drug has a list of side effects that are terrifying.

        I always used Yarrow for fevers.

        Sir Maythen

        On 8/16/2011 11:59 AM, sigilli wrote:
        Hildegard actually mentions Butterbur, but the description in her Healing Plants book doesn't seem to mention antihistaminic properties, but it apparently draws out bad humors from ulcers.  Culpeper mentions  in The Complete Herbal and English Physician  that "..the roots ...are exceedingly good in violent and pestilential fevers.."  So period it definitely was, just not as an antihistamine.
        Isabella