Re: [SCA-Herbalist] a more natural, period way to clean wood?

  • Charlie Farrow
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 21, 2011
      225g beeswax (unrefined)
      600ml turpentine
      600ml water
      50g pure soap flakes
      10 drops essential oil

      melt the beeswax in a bain marie, take it off the heat & add the turpentine. In another pan, boil the water and add the soap to dissolve it. Let this cool, add to beeswax gradually, trickle by trickle. Store the polish in a lidded container.

      Recipe from The Fragrant Pharmacy by Valerie Ann Worwood.

      On 21 April 2011 16:25, Lady Biya <aisinbiya@...> wrote:

      Is there a more natural, period, and herbal way to simply clean and
      maintain wood furniture around the house than the harsh chemicals and
      god knows what that is in furniture polish from the store?

      My beautiful, hand made oak altar has been COVERED with countless
      layers of incense ashes and just needs a good old fashioned sweeping
      followed by a cleaning of some sort. putting a bunch of chemicals I
      cannot pronounce on it doesn't seem appropriate. Heck I don't even
      know what they used for SOAP in period!

      What would they have used in period to clean up a piece of wood? I
      have so many furniture pieces that really need the spring cleaning
      treatment, but I hate these harsh chemicals!

      Is there something better?

      --
      Lady Biya

      --