Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Midges: Repel, Relieve Itch, etc.?

  • Tamie
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2011
      What about nettle for itching? A modern class I took on plant lore taught me to make it into a paste to apply to bug bites. Was that done in period?
      Tama
    • Dianna
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 31, 2011
        When you are putting the oatmeal in the blender, add some calendula and some lavender or rose petals for a really nice relieving bath.
        Avacyn
        Yes. I don't buy Aveno and just make myself my own oatmeal bath by throwing oatmeal (not quick cook) in the blender. The bath packets are expensive and oatmeal is cheap and can be added to any skin or beauty treatment. I've used it as a pack for acne too.

        One cannot silly-walk into Mordor.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 31, 2011
          Sounds lovely!

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 31, 2011
            I use "white man's footprint":

            http://hollirichey.com/2010/05/26/plantain-plantago-major-aka-white-mans-
            footprint/

            Grab a leaf, chew it a bit, stick the plaster right on the bite, itch
            gone in moments.

            Plantain is mentioned in some herbals, but of course I don't have any to
            hand....sorry.....

            For repellant, lavender. And pennyroyal. Keeps those bleeping things
            away from me.

            -"I'm tasty" Carowyn

            57 Year Old Mom Looks 27!
            http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4e3613015abff32f99bst04duc
          • Heather Lambert
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2011
              Well, I'm not really sure it's 'period' but I do a variation of 4-thieves vinegar.
              Apple Cider Vinegar
              Equal parts of: Lavender, white sage, thyme and 3 garlic cloves.

              Let it sit in the sun, turning occasionally for 6 weeks. Strain herbs and store in an air tight container. It totally kept the bugs away at Baron Wars this year- not ONE bite from ANYTHING. And it doesn't smell bad either. A little goes a long way!

              ~Ketta