Re: [SCA-Herbalist] St. John's Wort

  • sigilli
    Message 1 of 29 , May 30 5:42 PM
      I have been using St. John's Wort for fibromyalgia, but I use it as a weak infusion, and not more than twice per week (usually on "bad" days), as I take Pamelor, a prescribed SSRI.  It can definitely lead to serotonin syndrome, which as Seffan points out can be quite dangerous.

       If you can get a hold of Complementary and Alternative Medicines by CW Fetrow PharmD, and Juan R. Avila, PharmD., you can find not only information on St John's but many others.  I am a retired RN and also espouse the use of herbals, but with the proper research and cautions.  In this book you can find interactions with medications you many be taking. It has a very large collection of herbals, trials done, interactions and averse reactions.

       But I will strongly agree not to self dose without consulting a professional as this particvular herbal can have serious side effects.

      Isabella

      From: Richard <original_xman@...>
      Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] St. John's Wort
      To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, May 27, 2011, 12:27 PM

      My doc told me that some recent research has indicated that St. John's Wort has some psychotropic qualities, and can possibly be used as a non-prescriptive mild anti-depressant. Does anybody know anything about this. I like my doc (for over 20 years) and he is quite open to non traditional techniques (like using a double bacon burger to help diagnose a gall bladder! lol)
      Jack

    • Hope Bryant

        My doc told me that some recent research has indicated that St. John's Wort has some psychotropic qualities, and can possibly be used as a non-prescriptive mild anti-depressant. Does anybody know anything about this. I like my doc (for over 20 years) and he is quite open to non traditional techniques (like using a double bacon burger to help diagnose a gall bladder! lol)

        Hope Bryant
        http://www.drakenhart-studios.net
        http://www.jobfox.com/people/Hope-Bryant