Re: [SCA-Herbalist] First Aid Kit?

  • Dianaim
    Message 1 of 62 , Mar 24, 2011
      Be very careful with Valerian.

      It is contraindicated in use with antihistamines, alcohol and any meds associated with depression.  It can cause serious heart problems when used in conjunction.  I would not use/have this in a first aid kit.

      Dianaim

      On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 5:28 PM, Shield of Peace <randgrithr@...> wrote:

      On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Catherine de Winter <catherineaimeri@...> wrote:

      What herbs do you think might have been found around the household to treat common scrapes, bruises, colds, elfshot and other common conditions?

      I am looking for about 5 - 8 common and useful plants for a medieval first aid kit.  I am sure this group will have lots of ideas.  Thanks in advance.

      Sage: The uber-styptic. I keep a jar in my kitchen and another in my real-world first aid kit.
      Comfrey: external use only.
      Catnip: sedative, eases stomach aches and general pain.
      Valerian: heavier duty sedative.

      Just a few off the top of my head.

      Aquilina

    • Tamie
      Message 62 of 62 , Aug 22, 2011
        Patchouli smells like mold to me. And mold is one of my strongest triggers for asthma and migraines. I either get a sinus based migraine headache or start wheezing depending on the type of mold and how I've "ingested" it. The only thing stronger than my mold reaction is my reaction to synthetic scents. I don't have the energy to make everything from scratch, but am pleased that there are finally various hypo-allergenic cleaners  on the market. I do make oils for cooking, massage, and bruise treatment though using the scents I mentioned earlier.
        Tama

        On 8/21/2011 12:59 PM, Aly/Cemper wrote:   Query: I had someone give me a lecture about wearing Patchouli and stated that Patchouli was Sandlewood were the same plant and both "incite asthma." Is this true? Re: the asthma. I know that Patchouli is related to mint but is and that certain smells do cause an asthmatic reaction but I could not find if they were of the same family, genus or order?