OOP Question.....

  • Carowyn Silveroak
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2011
      Greetings,

      I'm helping my boss on an odd project, and I'm not sure where to start.

      Does anyone have any apothecary books that cover the 17-18th centuries?
      I'm looking specifically for doctor's medications / receipts that he'd
      carry.

      If it's a ship's doctor, that's a bonus.

      Though I have a copy of Varina Davis' receipt book, it would be a heckuva
      project deciphering of her handwriting. I don't have a copy of Martha
      Washington's, though I'd like to. I can't think of any other books that
      would fit the bill, but if you know of one, please let me know!

      Thanks in advance,

      -Carowyn
      Globe Life Insurance
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4d228767ec7dfe87f3m02duc
    • perriscott
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 10, 2011
        Carowyn,

        As it happens, I belong to another Y-group (Chirgions @ Yahoo Groups) and I can recommend three sources (doubtless the folks there could add to the list, they have been very helpful in my searches). I do a 17th Century impression of a Barber-Surgeon, and these are the sort of links/sources that I have been looking for (sadly, I have none in hard-copy).

        http://historyofdrugs.net/online_texts.htm

        numerous texts/facsimiles/scanned images; some Ancient (pre-1500) as well as 1500-1949.

        The two texts that would work well for a Ships Surgeon are:

        John Woodall's "The Surgion's Mate" (1617) --I believe that there is one updated c. 1633.

        Also, "Before the Mast: Life and Death Aboard the Mary Rose" [alas, I can not remember the authors name at the moment- Google should give you a hit though.] c. 1588; "HMS Mary Rose" was a Tudor-era warship in service to HRM Henry VIII. There is a web-site that has a virtual tour, including pictures of a Ships Barber-Surgeon and his equipment that was recovered from the wreck of the Mary Rose. Really cool stuff.

        I will see if I can locate any others and pass it on,
        Hope this helps,

        ~Elspeth McArran,
        Regiment de'Hepburn.
        of The Zholdak Kozaky