Re: Trimarian herb class

  • Audrey
    Message 1 of 47 , Dec 17, 2010
      --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, sigilli <sigilli@...> wrote:

      > Greetings Everyone!
      >
      > My name is Isabella, and I have "joined" this group through my daughter
      > Katherine.  She is the college sophomore who wants to learn about herbs.  When
      > she joined, she used my e-mail, and I have been forwarding her the postings.
      > Now at school, she has little time for herbs, but as I increase my herbal
      > library, and my herbal plant collection, I share that with her as well.  I have
      > been growing herbs for many years, as has my family before me.  Hence the
      > "Italianherbal" name.  Until about three years ago, we grew herbs striclty for
      > culinary use.   Now that Kathy and I are both frustrated with the amount of
      > medications that we both need to take for chronic ailments, we have begun
      > searching for medicinal herbs.  Throw the SCA in there, and the history of herbs
      > came into play.  My current library now has over 20 volumes ranging from
      > Culpepper to the German E Comission to how to grow herbs in Florida.  I am a
      > retired nurse, and I also have a pharmaceutical text and have ordered the
      > American Pharmacopeia (sp?) which Amazon tells me will be available in Feb. of
      > 2011.
      >
      > So enough history.  Now I have been challenged, as part of my apprenticeship, to
      > begin teaching classes on herbs.  Being a practical person, I don't want to just
      > talk about herbal properties, but about everyday uses.  So my first class, this
      > Saturday at TMT in Trimaris, will be about incorporating herbs in Cold Process
      > soap making.  I will also bring handouts about one herb that include historical
      > use, current herbal use and professional medicinal pharmacology on that herb,
      > about 10 herb seedlings of that herbs, seeds, samples of several soaps Kathy and
      > I have made that attendees can take home, and photographs of all the herbs I am
      > currently growing.
      >
      > I will cover the actual soap making process with lye and oils and anyone
      > attending can dive right in adn help.  I will also have about 8 dried herbs and
      > accompanying literature that students can grind and put in their personal soap.
      > We will be making a big batch, then students can pour some off into cups and
      > blend as they wish.  I will also have a collection of essential oils.
      >
      > Trimarians also know me as the Knot Naked merchants, and if any of you have
      > attended Gulf Wars, perhaps you have met me at my shop as well.  Needless to
      > say, that on Saturday, from 8-10 am, the shop will be closed.  Hope to see some
      > of you there!
      >
      > Semper in Officio,
      > Isabella

      Also I plan to be at ARTSCI in January. I hope to meet you there if nowhere else.

      YIS Audrey E. Taylor
    • Audrey
      Message 47 of 47 , Jan 12, 2011
        --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "arianederennes" <arianederennes@...> wrote:

        > Long time lurker here. I'm also in Trimaris, up in An Crosaire these days. After much procrastination, I have started going to the local meetings again and will eventually attend the occasional event. Haven't been growing many herbs for a bit, not sure how that happened or why, but I do have a bit of vetiver, which if it survives the winter, I'd be happen to share.
        >
        > YIS
        >
        > Ariane/Sookie

        I am definetly going to be at the Trimaris Art-Sci/Scots Welsh this weekend. Are either of you going to be there? I would love to meet somewhere. I will only be daytripping it though. Too expensive to stay the night. (Sigh). And too cold to camp. I hope to meet sometime.
        YIS

        Audrey E. Taylor