lemon grass and iris

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2010
      Happy belated Thanksgiving.
      I wanted to share one thing and ask about another. First is that lemon grass oil is supposed to be a natural roach killer, so says the product I have, and have seen it work. It doesn't create a barrier but it messes the buggers up when sprayed on them.

      Second, I came across the iris in my research as a medical plant. Does anybody have any specifics for medicinal, even cooking uses for the iris?

      Thanks,
      Jack
    • sigilli
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2010
        Greetings Everyone!

        I have been corresponding with Morin, who is in charge of Botanicals and Herbals in Artisan's Row at Gulf Wars XX.  She tells me that she is in need of teachers.  So if any of you plan to attend GWXX, and have a particular interest you ay like to teach about, would you drop her a line?
        She also tells me that the group will be starting a garden in Early Period (a three year project) and will be preparing the soil this year.  Again, if you are interested, please drop her a line via e-mail. Thanks!

        Semper in Officio,
        Isabella

      • Audrey
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 17, 2010
          --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <original_xman@...> wrote:

          > Happy belated Thanksgiving.
          > I wanted to share one thing and ask about another. First is that lemon grass oil is supposed to be a natural roach killer, so says the product I have, and have seen it work. It doesn't create a barrier but it messes the buggers up when sprayed on them.
          >
          > Second, I came across the iris in my research as a medical plant. Does anybody have any specifics for medicinal, even cooking uses for the iris?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Jack

          Iris is Orris Root, and I know that it was used for medicinal reasons, but I'm not aware of any cooking. Before you use anything I suggest you cross reference between at least 3 herb books. They might even be medical as well as cooking. Some herbs are just too dangerous to mess with without good knowledge.
        • Trey Capnerhurst
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 25, 2011
            Orris root isn't medicinal.  It's a vital still room component.  It's a scent fixative and a base for nearly all powders - body powders, blush, sweet bags...

            If you're going to do any medieval still room work involving scents or perfumes, there is no substitute.

            Treasach