Trimarian herb class

  • sigilli
    Message 1 of 47 , Nov 9, 2010
      Greetings Everyone!

      My name is Isabella, and I have "joined" this group through my daughter Katherine.  She is the college sophomore who wants to learn about herbs.  When she joined, she used my e-mail, and I have been forwarding her the postings.  Now at school, she has little time for herbs, but as I increase my herbal library, and my herbal plant collection, I share that with her as well.  I have been growing herbs for many years, as has my family before me.  Hence the "Italianherbal" name.  Until about three years ago, we grew herbs striclty for culinary use.   Now that Kathy and I are both frustrated with the amount of medications that we both need to take for chronic ailments, we have begun searching for medicinal herbs.  Throw the SCA in there, and the history of herbs came into play.  My current library now has over 20 volumes ranging from Culpepper to the German E Comission to how to grow herbs in Florida.  I am a retired nurse, and I also have a pharmaceutical text and have ordered the American Pharmacopeia (sp?) which Amazon tells me will be available in Feb. of 2011.

      So enough history.  Now I have been challenged, as part of my apprenticeship, to begin teaching classes on herbs.  Being a practical person, I don't want to just talk about herbal properties, but about everyday uses.  So my first class, this Saturday at TMT in Trimaris, will be about incorporating herbs in Cold Process soap making.  I will also bring handouts about one herb that include historical use, current herbal use and professional medicinal pharmacology on that herb, about 10 herb seedlings of that herbs, seeds, samples of several soaps Kathy and I have made that attendees can take home, and photographs of all the herbs I am currently growing.

      I will cover the actual soap making process with lye and oils and anyone attending can dive right in adn help.  I will also have about 8 dried herbs and accompanying literature that students can grind and put in their personal soap.  We will be making a big batch, then students can pour some off into cups and blend as they wish.  I will also have a collection of essential oils.

      Trimarians also know me as the Knot Naked merchants, and if any of you have attended Gulf Wars, perhaps you have met me at my shop as well.  Needless to say, that on Saturday, from 8-10 am, the shop will be closed.  Hope to see some of you there!

      Semper in Officio,
      Isabella

    • Audrey
      Message 47 of 47 , Jan 12, 2011
        --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "arianederennes" <arianederennes@...> wrote:

        > Long time lurker here. I'm also in Trimaris, up in An Crosaire these days. After much procrastination, I have started going to the local meetings again and will eventually attend the occasional event. Haven't been growing many herbs for a bit, not sure how that happened or why, but I do have a bit of vetiver, which if it survives the winter, I'd be happen to share.
        >
        > YIS
        >
        > Ariane/Sookie

        I am definetly going to be at the Trimaris Art-Sci/Scots Welsh this weekend. Are either of you going to be there? I would love to meet somewhere. I will only be daytripping it though. Too expensive to stay the night. (Sigh). And too cold to camp. I hope to meet sometime.
        YIS

        Audrey E. Taylor