Re: [SCA-Herbalist] event food allergy issue last night...is there a way to prevent this?

  • Shield of Peace
    Message 1 of 47 , Oct 20, 2010
      On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Ysabeau <lady.ysabeau@...> wrote:

      True, but we have to remember that this is a volunteer organization. There are varying degrees of computer competency/literacy within our society. We had a major ruckus because our hospitaller lost email access for a couple of months and wasn't reachable via that medium. She was asked to step down. On the other hand, information conveyed over email lists is still not considered an "official notification" according to the BoD (last time I heard it discussed).

      The responsibility to provide information about events is on the autocrat/feastocrat, and it is the same responsibility held toward keeping guests with potential allergies safe. If the Kingdom website makes it easy to upload a file and create a link to that file, this doesn't need to be rocket science for autocrats/feastocrats.

      Most of the time, the web person for an event has a difficult time getting information, has to take their volunteer time to post to the website, and is typically, but not always, an amateur web site admin/developer/coder.

      The onus of coding is on the Kingdom Webminister or whomever he/she delegates that task to - and it should not be beyond their capabilities. The end result should be that feast menus and ingredients can be provided by a file upload and/or link - a process made simple for the non-technical amongst us. We're having this conversation right now because people have adapted to digital communication, which has been made relatively simple for the non-technical. People upload and share photos/files or provide links to content all the time here. This isn't rocket science.

      I've seen some very experienced feastocrats that are not organized enough to have a complete shopping list. They cook on the fly or "know" what they are doing so don't write it down. They have done it often enough that they just do it. I know that some of the feasts I've done, I'd be hard pressed to sit down and tell you every single ingredient in a dish because I tend to not follow recipes.

      People who make these same claims are going to get in trouble with the people who have allergies, then. When I run the Barleycorn brewing contest it is a REQUIREMENT that all ingredients in the beverage be listed. People who do not wish to divulge recipes have that right, but for safety purposes I DEMAND an ingredient list - or the entry simply is not judged.

      In an ideal world, your suggestion would work but we can't hold every group to this standard, yet. The divide between the techies and non-techies is growing exponentially. :-)

      If the Kingdom builds it, they will come. More importantly, problems with allergens at feast will be minimized for hosts and guests and we can get back to what's actually fun about this game for... well, some of us, anyway.

      Aquilina

      Ysabeau
      On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Shield of Peace <randgrithr@...> wrote:

      If I recall correctly, the entire feast including all ingredients was posted on the event web site, but not all events have their own web sites to check in advance, nor do attendees necessarily know to check for them.

      I would suggest that the East Kingdom event listing web site have a section set aside per event page for listing the feast removes and ingredients, either via a link or downloadable .pdf file. A feastocrat has to make a shopping list and create a menu anyway, so this shouldn't be a big deal. It's very easy to convert files from .doc or other formats to .pdf using the free product Openoffice, so that the files won't take up too much space. Right click and download the event's feast menu. This should be as easy as it currently is to download a map or directions to the site.

      In this manner the hosts uniformly cover the responsibility for the safety and enjoyment of the guests. This is especially useful for larger events because it propagates the information to all guests, who may number in the hundreds, in a single time saving step. It then falls to individual guests to have to take the time to read the thing and notify/coordinate with the feastocrat accordingly.

      The perennial sysadmin will shut up now, ;-7

      Aquilina

      --
      Anyone who fails to see the historical parallels between Blackwater and the Nazi SS, or the Department of Homeland Security and the Gestapo, needs a serious reality check.
    • Audrey
      Message 47 of 47 , Jan 12, 2011
        --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "arianederennes" <arianederennes@...> wrote:

        > Long time lurker here. I'm also in Trimaris, up in An Crosaire these days. After much procrastination, I have started going to the local meetings again and will eventually attend the occasional event. Haven't been growing many herbs for a bit, not sure how that happened or why, but I do have a bit of vetiver, which if it survives the winter, I'd be happen to share.
        >
        > YIS
        >
        > Ariane/Sookie

        I am definetly going to be at the Trimaris Art-Sci/Scots Welsh this weekend. Are either of you going to be there? I would love to meet somewhere. I will only be daytripping it though. Too expensive to stay the night. (Sigh). And too cold to camp. I hope to meet sometime.
        YIS

        Audrey E. Taylor