Re: herbal column

  • Roberta R Comstock
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 13 9:32 AM
      How about some recipes for the bountiful harvest of garden veggies,
      herbal blends for cooking, herb flavored vinegars, decorative herbs for
      the kitchen or holidays? Or perhaps a review of some books on historic
      herbals or garden history?

      Hertha Blair of Froggestow
      Calontir

    • DeeWolff@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 13 10:13 AM
        What about harvesting and drying herbs for Yule Season stuff? This is when we
        do it.
        Uses of herbs in oils, pickling, canning,etc.
        Cooling teas for the hot summner we have been having,

        Hope this helps,
        Andrea
      • atbrooks
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 15 3:13 PM
          Roberta R Comstock wrote:

          > From: Roberta R Comstock <froggestow@...>
          >
          > How about some recipes for the bountiful harvest of garden veggies,
          > herbal blends for cooking, herb flavored vinegars, decorative herbs for
          > the kitchen or holidays? Or perhaps a review of some books on historic
          > herbals or garden history?
          >
          > Hertha Blair of Froggestow
          > Calontir

          > Having difficulty getting "in synch" with list members?
          > http://www.onelist.com
          > Try ONElist's Shared Calendar to organize events, meetings and more!

          Thank you, I have done the vinegars, but never had I thought of a review of
          my books. What an amazing idea. Take care, god bless.
          Lady Isabella
        • Marcy Wilfon
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 16 5:32 PM
            To Lady Isabella, Greetings
            You may have used these ideas previously but... What about solid perfumes
            from flowers such as lavender or potpourri from the garden also known
            perhaps as strewing herbs Good Luck!

            Hlaefdige Brihtwynn aet Cwenengrafa

            >From: atbrooks@...
            >To: SCA-Herbalist@onelist.com
            >Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] herbal column
            >Date: 13 Aug 1999 14:21:48 -0000
            >
            >From: atbrooks@...
            >
            >Greetings to all ,from Lady Isabella.
            >I have been writing an article for our local news letter
            >"the Masthead" I have hit writers block.
            >I try to keep my articles seasonal.
            >I have done bugs and planting. Sun burns and rash.
            >I have also covered a few other summer topics. I seem to have come up dry.
            >Any suggestions?
            >Thanks
            >Isabella

            >Congratulations IM-USA, our latest ONElist of the week.
            >For full story and to submit yours,

          • Robin
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 17 7:12 PM
              At 02:21 PM 8/13/99 +0000, you wrote:
              >From: atbrooks@...
              >
              >Greetings to all ,from Lady Isabella.
              >I have been writing an article for our local news letter
              >"the Masthead" I have hit writers block.
              >I try to keep my articles seasonal.
              >I have done bugs and planting. Sun burns and rash.
              >I have also covered a few other summer topics. I seem to have come up dry.
              Any suggestions?
              >Thanks
              >Isabella

              I don't have any ideas off the top of my head, but,
              would you be willing to share any of your articles here?
              Might generate some discussion...

              Good luck with your article.

              Tamarra N. of Archangel
            • Laurie Clarkston
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 9 8:42 PM
                --- In SCA-Herbalist@egroups.com, atbrooks@... wrote:
                > Greetings to all ,from Lady Isabella.
                > I have been writing an article for our local news letter
                > "the Masthead" I have hit writers block.
                > I try to keep my articles seasonal.
                > I have done bugs and planting. Sun burns and rash.
                > I have also covered a few other summer topics. I seem to have come
                up dry. Any suggestions?
                > Thanks
                > Isabella

                Isabella,
                I write an article for my scottish clan newsletter on garden
                folklore. When I started doing this, I felt like the articles were
                missing that sparkle or whatever it is that draws you in.

                Then one day I started my articles out with what was growning in my
                garden, or how the weather has effected the area, and then the
                articles took on a personal feel; kinda like I was writing a letter
                to a friend. After the intro part, I let the readers know about the
                plant, like, what is its name in gaelic, does it flower, where can it
                grow, how will it do in the landscape and general garden growing
                information. I will list some of its medicinal uses and how it was
                used in cooking. Then the fun stuff comes in. All of these plants I
                write about have a little folklore and or superstition to them.

                I am now taking this research and converting it into a talk on Garden
                folklore. So far, I have given a talk to a local garden group, and
                next month I am scheduled to do a series of presentations to my local
                SCA group. Kinda nervous on this one!

                My articles became more interesting and fun when I made them more
                personal. When I did that, some of the responses from people were
                they were going to go out and buy that species of tree or shrub.

                I will tell you that researching plant folklore is very hard only
                because the information is so limited. But it is very interesting and
                a lot of fun to talk about.

                I don't know if this helps you or not, but I hope this helps you get
                rid of your writers block.

                Take care,
                Cairistiona de Coueran