RE: [SCA-Herbalist] Shameless Plug !!!

  • jimandandi
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 17 3:57 AM
      I have a gardening question for you- specifically about mugwort. I live in
      middle Tennessee, and I cannot get the stuff to grow. I have improved clay
      soil, and have success with mints, all umbelliferae, and limited success
      with things like basil and thyme. But I cannot get mugwort to grow. I tried
      it one time in a pot, and it didn't do very well. Any tips? I am putting in
      a larger garden this spring and that is one of the herbs I want to grow.

      Madrun

      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 17 10:29 AM
        >So we're official and (in a sense) we've paid our dues for a year. We
        >have until next January to figure out and collect next year's tithe.
        >Start thinking! Soaps? Oils, vinegars, washes? Home-grown culinary
        >herbs?

        Hmmm...herbed vinegar, with either a recipe or a promissory for a cheese
        made with the herbed vinegar...or someone's got to bring a cooler for the
        herbed cheese! Or make it on site. Strewing herbs? Especially if it's
        a War queen - a lavender and pennyroyal and fleabane mix to keep the wee
        beasties out of the tent.

        A swath of cloth hand-dyed????

        Could we persuade Jadwiga to make some of her *wonderful* Hungary water??
        (Yes, that was me volunteering to help!)

        Hand-made home-made dried fruits dipped in chocolate? I don't *care* if
        it's not period - chocolate's our friend! ;-) Why, yes, I *do* live
        near the M&M factory, *and* the Wilbur factory, *and* the Hershey plant,
        *and* the Reece plant, *and* the York Peppermint plant, and Jadwiga's
        near the Nestle plant......road trip, *and* an herb day, and we eat our
        own extras!!!!!!

        Hand-blended teas? Oooh, where's Annys Wolfe? She'd be wonderful!!!!

        A bottle or two of herbed wine?

        Okay, who's making the war chest for all this?!?!

        -Caro

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • newbrg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 17 11:06 AM
          In a message dated Wed, 17 Jan 2001 1:55:03 PM Eastern Standard Time, Warren & Meredith Harmon <silveroak@...> said, among other things:

          >herbed vinegar, <snip>
          >cheese made with the herbed vinegar<snip>
          >Strewing herbs <snip>
          >Hungary water??

          You maybe thought I wasn't taking notes on this? <g>

          >why, yes, I *do* live near the M&M factory, *and* the >Wilbur factory, *and* the Hershey plant, *and* the >Reece plant, *and* the York Peppermint plant, and
          >Jadwiga's near the Nestle plant......road trip, *and*
          >an herb day, and we eat our own extras!!!!!!

          This is one of the best event themes I've heard yet. Throw in a few classes in period sweetmeats, and we're on!

          >Hand-blended teas? <snip>
          >A bottle or two of herbed wine?

          All good ideas to plan for (I can do strewing herbs). But before we do that, don't forget Jadwiga suggested contributing beverages at Pennsic.

          Johanna
        • Jenne Heise
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 17 1:45 PM
            > This is one of the best event themes I've heard yet. Throw in a few classes in period sweetmeats, and we're on!

            I like it! Call it 'sweets, kickshaws and frou-frous?" or something. ;)

            > All good ideas to plan for (I can do strewing herbs). But before we do
            >that, don't forget Jadwiga suggested contributing beverages at Pennsic.

            And as Master Kyle of Clan Kyle reminded me, we need to ask Their
            Majesties what/if they would prefer donations of some kind, especially
            where scented stuff is concerned.

            I think we should not let the fact that we have 'made our contribution'
            for the year stop us from making more presentations, though we may choose
            to make them while their Majesties are 'sitting in state' rather than in
            court. Mistress Gabrielle, guild mistress of Athena's Thimble, the EK
            embroiderer's guild, pointed out to me that presentations to TRM as well
            as barons, etc and displays at Royal Progresses are a good way to advance
            our guild and make people familiar with what we do.

            We should have a major recruiting effort for the guild, since we are now
            official.

            Here's a question: should we have a membership rolls? I was thinking that
            perhaps something along the lines of the voluntary rolls online of the
            Slavic interest group-- where you can put anything from merely your SCA
            name to full contact info, and interests, and which is voluntary, would be
            something to offer.

            "Our kingdom is a garden and such gardens are not made/By singing "Oh how
            beautiful!" and sitting in the shade..." --Kipling, "Glory of the Garden"
          • Bob & Nancy Upson
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 17 1:53 PM
              Did you have a bumper crop of herbs this year. More than you
              can use (Ha HA) If so try selling your herbs or teas or herbal
              related goodies on Mad Macsens Auction Site. Its a good way to
              get herbs in the world.

              Hilken( Shameless PR Pearson)

              Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's http://www.MedievalMart.com/
              *** BUY *** SELL *** BID *** HAGGLE ***
              Look for the East Kingdom Fundraiser Auction coming soon!
            • Jenne Heise
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 17 2:53 PM

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 18 11:25 AM
                  In a message dated Wed, 17 Jan 2001 5:30:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, Jenne Heise <jenne@...> writes:

                  >Here's a question: should we have a membership rolls?
                  >I was thinking that perhaps something along the lines
                  >of the voluntary rolls online of the Slavic interest >group-- where you can put anything from merely your SCA
                  >name to full contact info, and interests, and which is
                  >voluntary, would be something to offer.

                  Doesn't this run into a problem we've had before, namely that not all of the guild is on line? The egroups website for this list provides space for this sort of thing -- but "we" aren't everybody. My newsletter mailing list, for instance, only overlaps with the egroups list, it doesn't duplicate it.

                  I agree about the recruiting effort, of course.

                  Johanna
                • newbrg@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 18 11:29 AM
                    In a message dated Wed, 17 Jan 2001 6:25:06 PM Eastern Standard Time, Jadwiga said:

                    >I do have more mugwort than I can use, and some Sweet
                    >Annie dried if people want it, but I feel like it >would be bad luck to sell it. So, if you need some, >email me and I will try to work out a way to get it
                    >to you.

                    Could you pot me up a mugwort seedling, when the snow melts? I've been trying to replace mine for a couple of years.

                    BTW, there will be a "sale and exchange" table at the Herb Fair -- bring your extra seedlings, seeds, dried materials, and herbal products.
                    <end second Shameless Plug>

                    Johanna
                  • Jenne Heise
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 18 5:45 PM
                      > I have a gardening question for you- specifically about mugwort. I live in
                      > middle Tennessee, and I cannot get the stuff to grow. I have improved clay
                      > soil, and have success with mints, all umbelliferae, and limited success
                      > with things like basil and thyme. But I cannot get mugwort to grow. I tried
                      > it one time in a pot, and it didn't do very well. Any tips? I am putting in
                      > a larger garden this spring and that is one of the herbs I want to grow.

                      Oh dear! I'm not sure how much help I can offer-- mine 'just growed' like
                      Topsy! I think it liked moderately well-drained soil, a little sandy, and
                      full sun. It didn't mind high humidity or the drought of 1999. When I put
                      it in, I crowded it a bit, and it's trying to overgrow everything around
                      it!
                      Do the other artemesias grow ok in your area? (Silver Mound, Silver King,
                      Old Man, Old Woman, Southernwood, etc.)
                      -- Jadwiga

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 18 5:53 PM
                        > >Here's a question: should we have a membership rolls?
                        > >I was thinking that perhaps something along the lines
                        > >of the voluntary rolls online of the Slavic interest >group-- where you can put anything from merely your SCA
                        > >name to full contact info, and interests, and which is
                        > >voluntary, would be something to offer.
                        > Doesn't this run into a problem we've had before, namely that not all of the guild is on line? The egroups website for this list provides space for this sort of thing -- but "we" aren't everybody. My newsletter mailing list, for instance, only overlaps with the egroups list, it doesn't duplicate it.

                        I was thinking that we could get a guild web page on the East Kingdom page
                        and put it all there, with written permission of course.
                        Plus we could have a separate email list through Eastkingdom that we could
                        move our guild business onto and stop bothering everyone else throughout
                        the known world with it!

                        Whaddya all think?
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 19 11:13 AM

                          --

                          As I said to Jadwiga recently in a private e-mail, I think we need an Official Web Page, at least linked to the Kingdom page, if not actually resident on the Kingdom server. Anyone interested in taking this on? If not, I _could_ (help me! I'm catching Carowyn's Disease!) but I'd rather spread things around.

                          I hadn't thought about the non-egroups mailing list idea, but it's a good one. It would reduce confusion for people newly joining this list from far parts and wondering why we were discussing the EK Twelfth Night!

                          Johanna
                        • Jenne Heise
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 30 10:01 AM
                            > As I said to Jadwiga recently in a private e-mail, I think we need an
                            >Official Web Page, at least linked to the Kingdom page, if not actually
                            >resident on the Kingdom server. Anyone interested in taking this on? If
                            >not, I _could_ (help me! I'm catching Carowyn's Disease!) but I'd rather
                            >spread things around.

                            Well, the web site has been requested. I'm listed as the primary user, and
                            I certainly could do it, but this is a good opportunity for someone else
                            to get involved.

                            > I hadn't thought about the non-egroups mailing list idea, but it's a
                            >good one. It would reduce confusion for people newly joining this list
                            >from far parts and wondering why we were discussing the EK Twelfth Night!

                            I just had a tussle with egroups, then asked Robin for a mail list on the
                            eastkingdom site. Subscription info will be posted to this list when I get
                            it.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 30 11:01 AM
                              In a message dated Tue, 30 Jan 2001 1:14:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, Jenne Heise <jenne@...> writes:

                              >Well, the web site has been requested. I'm listed as >the primary user, and I certainly could do it, but >this is a good opportunity for someone else to get >involved.

                              Thank you.

                              (Repeat: this is a good opportunity for someone else to get involved.<!!>)

                              >I just had a tussle with egroups, then asked Robin for >a mail list on the eastkingdom site. Subscription info >will be posted to this list when I get it.

                              In the past week, I have missed at least four posts (I've seen the responses) which makes me nervous. At the beginning, egroups was touted as the solution for lists with spotty delivery. Maybe it's reaching a "diminishing returns" stage? (or maybe it's changed ownership too often?)

                              I will stay here for various reasons, but look forward to the new venue as well.

                              Johanna
                            • IsabellaBlkmoor@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 30 11:04 AM
                                In a message dated 1/30/01 1:14:42 PM EST, jenne@... writes:

                                << As I said to Jadwiga recently in a private e-mail, I think we need an
                                >Official Web Page, at least linked to the Kingdom page, if not actually
                                >resident on the Kingdom server. Anyone interested in taking this on? If
                                >not, I _could_ (help me! I'm catching Carowyn's Disease!) but I'd rather
                                >spread things around. >>

                                I would love to. I am a beginner at making web pages and would need some one
                                available to give me advice, but I would LOVE the experience as I have
                                aspirations to set up a site of my own. BUT if someone with more experience
                                would want to take on the task that would be alright too. I am here if no
                                one else offers.

                                Isabella
                              • annys wolf of wharram percy
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 30 2:32 PM
                                  I'd love to!!!
                                  Annys

                                • newbrg@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 1, 2001
                                    Concerning a Guild website, IsabellaBlkmoor@... writes:

                                    >I would love to. I am a beginner at making web pages
                                    >and would need some one available to give me advice,
                                    >but I would LOVE the experience as I have aspirations >to set up a site of my own. BUT if someone with more >experience would want to take on the task that would
                                    >be alright too. I am here if no one else offers.

                                    >Isabella

                                    All right, all in favor of electing Isabella to this high office raise your cyber hand-equivalent!

                                    Isabella, you can e-mail me off list for (probably) more advice than you need.

                                    Johanna
                                  • newbrg@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 1, 2001

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 1, 2001
                                        In answer to:
                                        > Hand-blended teas? Oooh, where's Annys Wolfe? She'd be wonderful!!!!

                                        annys wolf of wharram percy <annys@...> writes:

                                        << I'd love to!!!
                                        <<Annys

                                        Would you be planning to come to Herb Faire? Would you be willing to do a class on teas? (I want to take it!)

                                        Johanna
                                      • annys wolf of wharram percy
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 1, 2001
                                          Unfortunately, I am unsure whether I can come to the Herb Faire in June
                                          because of a wedding. However, if things change, I will definitely be
                                          there. Otherwise, I am thinking about teaching a tea class at Pennsic.
                                          Annys

                                          > From: newbrg@...
                                          > Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 14:31:34 EST
                                          > To: <SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com>
                                          > Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: 12 Night - Next Year's Dues
                                          >
                                          > In answer to:
                                          >> Hand-blended teas? Oooh, where's Annys Wolfe? She'd be wonderful!!!!
                                          >
                                          > annys wolf of wharram percy <annys@...> writes:
                                          >
                                          > << I'd love to!!!
                                          > <<Annys
                                          >
                                          > Would you be planning to come to Herb Faire? Would you be willing to do a
                                          > class on teas? (I want to take it!)
                                          >
                                          > Johanna

                                        • Michelle Gilyeat
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Feb 1, 2001
                                            Hi. :)

                                            I'm one of your lurkers. I'm more than willing to help you out if
                                            needed. I'm pretty good at troubleshooting.

                                            A good resource is http://www.htmlgoodies.com Dr Burns has all sorts
                                            of tutorials there from the basics to more advanced stuff.

                                            -Michelle

                                            --- newbrg@... wrote:
                                            > Concerning a Guild website, IsabellaBlkmoor@... writes:
                                            >
                                            > >I would love to. I am a beginner at making web pages
                                            > >and would need some one available to give me advice,
                                            > >but I would LOVE the experience as I have aspirations >to set up a
                                            > site of my own. BUT if someone with more >experience would want to
                                            > take on the task that would
                                            > >be alright too. I am here if no one else offers.
                                            >
                                            > >Isabella
                                            >
                                            > All right, all in favor of electing Isabella to this high office
                                            > raise your cyber hand-equivalent!
                                            >
                                            > Isabella, you can e-mail me off list for (probably) more advice
                                            > than you need.
                                            >
                                            > Johanna

                                            =====
                                            Time is an illusion perpetrated by the manufacturers of space.

                                            http://members.home.net/chelle/

                                            a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/