Re: Newbie--Help!

  • Audrey
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2010

      > I was thinking about just diving into the research, i have a few books-mundane and SCA- on the subject, but if there is a better way to approach this please feel free to offer advice!!!
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Kathy

      Are you interested in growing your own herbs, or just learning how they were used? This is an important question as from your post I see that you live in Florida, and if that is the case then you are going to need some help growing herbs in Florida. Even in the North-Western area. You can't rely on just any herb book to tell you how. Florida is a very unique state when it comes to growing herbs.

      In the medieval eras most of the medicinal herbs were grown in monasteries, and were regulated by the priests. But quite a few were also grown by the lowly housewife, and by the nobles, for the use of the household on a daily basis. Some of these included the basic culinary herbs, and some that we would not consider, today, to be culinary. Such as lavendar.

      I can give you at least one good book title to learn about basic herbs. Rodales is the best. It even has a short section in there on the history of herbs, going from the post Roman era to the late Elizabethan era.

      Secondly look on line. Search out medieval cooking sites. You will be surprised what is out there to find. I suggest you research on line first, and from there you will get an excellent bibliograpy to choose from. This is where you will refine your search. Also search on line for kingdom cooks. There are several excellent ones who are not only happy to help you if you ask, but then want you to tell them how you did. (Grin.)

      I hope this helps.
    • Jennifer Heise
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2010
        Greetings Kathy! You've picked a fun area to study!

        There are a number of different sources out there that will help you. This list is one, of course. But there are others. Two books I found very helpful when I was just starting out were Rosetta Clarkson's _Magic Gardens_ and _Green Enchantment_. Some people like _Brother Cadfael's Herb Garden_ but I find it too difficult to tell when they are talking about something that appeared in a Brother Cadfael book or something that appeared in a classical or medieval source. Werner Telesko did a book called "Wisdom of Nature" that used information from the medieval manuscripts, but I prefer the "Sweet Herbs and Sundry Flowers" and "Herbs from the Medieval Household" books published by the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

        Once you've spent some time picking out information about medieval use of herbs from general sources like these, you may want to tackle some references written in our period. While Culpeper's *English Physitian* is actually 17th century, he's pretty accessible, and he has recipes in the back for various types of herbal prepations. He was an unlicensed apothecary and got in trouble with the Colleges of Physicians for revealing the recipes to the public.  On the other hand, you might want to jump right in with the Anglo-Saxon stuff-- Stephen Pollington has a compilation called  Leechcraft: Early English Charms, Plant-Lore and Healing.

        You may want to think about what areas you are interested in: cosmetic, food, medical, magical use of herbs.

        A lot of herbs known in period, such as mint, parsley, sage, rosemary and marjoram were used in more than one way. In many cases, you can grow these in pots if you take reasonable care. Don't let them dry out and don't let them stay waterlogged. Lavender can be trickier, and sage may not live more than a year in places that don't have a cold-enough cold season.

        People in our period often harvested herbs out of patches by the side of the road (John of Arden's Surgerie gives you directions to a specific patch) though it appears that manors and monasteries, as well as apothecaries and cooks grew some herbs specifically.

        I have to admit that I've a laurel in herbalism. I have a website with some of the things I've researched and redacted here: http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/herbs/herbs.html  if you want to see some of the projects I've worked on.

        Easy projects to start with include handwashing waters and strewing herbs.

        What else can we help you with?

        -- Jadwiga

        On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 1:09 PM, italianherbal <sigilli@...> wrote:

        Hey, I'm a sophmore in college and i'm really interested in learning about herbs. My eventual goal is to become a loral and I need some advice. Can anyone tell me things like: What to do, how to go about doing it, and what has been done?

        I live in the West Palm area over the summer, but in the Fall and Spring i'm up in Pensacola.

        --
        Jennifer Heise

        known in the SCA as Jadwiga Zajaczkowa