Re: [SCA-Herbalist] resource recommendation please

  • Carowyn Silveroak
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12 11:31 AM

      Typing "language of flowers" into google got me many hits, but one struck my eye as a beginning resource:

      In the early 18th century the Turkish "Secret Language of Flowers" was introduced to Europe by Lady Mary Wortley Montague, wife of the British ambassador to Constantinople.

      from

      http://www.joellessacredgrove.com/language.html

      I have a repro copy of this one, first published in 1884, and I use this resource over the modern lists:

      Language of Flowers (From Stencils and Notepaper to Flowers and Napkin Folding) (Paperback) - Kate Greenaway

      Amazon has copies, I'm sure ABE books will have cheaper.

      And, of course, quoting Ophelia from Shakespeare's Hamlet:

      OPHELIA
      There's rosemary, that's for remembrance; pray,
      love, remember: and there is pansies. that's for thoughts.

      LAERTES
      A document in madness, thoughts and remembrance fitted.

      OPHELIA
      There's fennel for you, and columbines: there's rue
      for you; and here's some for me: we may call it
      herb-grace o' Sundays: O you must wear your rue with
      a difference. There's a daisy: I would give you
      some violets, but they withered all when my father
      died: they say he made a good end,--

      -Carowyn

      "Your Government Bailout"
      USA Gov gave billions to stimulate economy & relieve DEBT. Claim yours
      ctwnews.com