RE: [SCA-Herbalist] teasel

  • jack hollandbeck
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 31, 2010
      Hmm, if the flower pods were/are soft then they could be handled easily if you gripped them from the bottom up. I should think that if they are soft, yet still spiky then they would do a good job on the horse, mane, tail, or even little girl's ponytails in a time before brushes. I can understand putting them in a frame for fulling. One could cover more area that way. Nice thinking. Any more ideas? lol'
      Jack

      To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
      From: avaline_2003@...
      Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 13:11:04 -0800
      Subject: RE: [SCA-Herbalist] teasel

      I would most likely have used gloves - although one respondent mentioned that teasle heads are curiously soft.  I'd have just grabbed one up and curried the horse in the usual fashion!  Got a new one when that became fouled with hair.   When they used them for fulling cloth, the teasel heads were attached to a framework.

      Avaline la Chevriere

      o--}------------------------

      A committee should consist of three men, two of whom are absent.

      From: avaline_2003@ yahoo.com
      Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:54:57 -0800

      Nope, not an equestrian now, but used to be.  Sold the critters, moved to the city, now can only daydream...

      BUT:  If I had had teasels around, I would have used them on my horses to curry them, I betcha!

      From: avaline_2003@ yahoo.com
      Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:07:03 -0800

      I could see where a teasel might be useful for brushing out a horse's winter coat in the spring - like a shedding blade.  Would fit in the palm of the hand (with gloves) and be easy to use.

      From: tolkienscholar@ yahoo.com
      Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:49:07 -0800

      I believe that they were also used to brush hair.
      ~Kemper O'Breoniann

      Life is meant to be an adventure; change is a gift that we have to learn to use aright. A Celtic curse is to be stuck in a field and unable to leave. To be stuck in one place forever.
      To be unable to venture or change.
      An open gate is the opposite of this. It is the invitation to venture, to grow, the call to be among the living vital elements of the world.
      The open gate is the call to explore new areas of yourself
      and the world around you
      ~David Adam,The Open Gate~

      From: Richard <original_xman@ hotmail.com>
      Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] teasel
      To: SCA-Herbalist@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Thursday, January 28, 2010, 2:16 PM

      Good afternoon, Happy New Year and almost Happy February.

      I have come across mention of teasel in my research. It was from near the mouth of the Rhine River in The Netherlands. It may be a wetlands plant, if not from a marsh. The archaeologist thought that it might have been used in dying.

      Does anyone know of this plant, uses, etc.? If it was used in dying, how so? color? fixer? primer? Could or did it have other uses such as medicinal? The same archaeologist also listed vervain as a medicinal.

      Anyway, I appreciate any and all help that you can share. Thanks all.

    • Lila Richards
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 12 5:02 PM
        > Pretty much. Speculating on the druids can be a full time profession. lol
        > I like to use other language than what has already been used to describe
        > them. I do that for everything because I used to do some counseling and
        > teach special education so I had to find alternative explanations, and
        > because by not using the "usual" words I try to avoid any built in
        > misconceptions. Does that make sense?<

        It does, although I suppose you could thereby create an entire new set of
        misconceptions. :-) But I certainly think it pays not to take too much
        notice of the Roman propaganda about them.

        >Anyway, what we may have had in the druids was the genesis of a
        >proto-priestly elite. Think of the druids, NOT in classical terms, but in
        >the development of a civilization like Egypt, Babylonia, Indus Valley. The
        >usual development in civilization was to plant, then the rise of a military
        >elite (we have that in the Celts), then the rise of a priesthood around a
        >temple cult. Those priesthoods were the intellectual leaders and
        >controllers for their civilizations. I think that is what the druids
        >were....the proto-priesthood for this undiscovered lost civilization of
        >Celts. This avoids all the misconceptions by the Greeks, Romans, and
        >Christian bishops. The druids were trained to be the local elites with a
        >core of necessary skills and knowledge (college), but could also specialize
        >and cross train. This extra education would account for the classic "up to
        >twenty years of training" in the classical literature. They kept order by
        >enforcing the natural laws of the gods, I think. That would include the
        >natural order in planting, plant use, inter-personal and inter-tribal
        >relations, relations with the gods, weather, and every other thing. They
        >monitored the natural machinery of the world and life for the gods.
        >Naturally they would have to be able to observe, understand, translate and
        >make use of every thing in their environment. A thistle curry comb was no
        >different than a flight of birds or a rainbow to them. They were all part
        >of the natural machinery. Okay, enough of this, I am starting to have fun.
        >I guess that I have tried to back off and look at them from a different
        >perspective, in this case anthropologically. I don't see them as great
        >mystics (though some were, take the myrdden?) or nature freaks or
        >super-environmentalists. I think they did much as this group
        >does......experiment and learn from each other. In their plant lore I don't
        >think that they were much different from you....scholars, agronomists and
        >scientists. That is kind of a fun way to look at it. They were the handimen
        >and women of the gods. That is also one explanation of a priesthood.<

        I think they were probably similar to the Maori tohunga or his equivalent in
        African cultures, who was a priest (probably in a more or less shamanic
        sense), and also the repository of the tribe's lore and history, and as
        such, having a very high status in the tribe.

        >There is some thought that the classic Irish tales, such as the Tain bo
        >Cuailnge (?), may have come from the time of the Irish migrations in the
        >3rd or 4th century CE. lol A family album of a hostile takeover.<

        They do seem to refer to a time when the politics of Ireland were in a state
        of flux, and clan territories, etc., being established, so this could well
        be the case.

        Cheers,

        Sinech.

        An Fhirinne in aghaidh an tSaoil - The Truth Against the World

        __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4862 (20100212) __________

        http://www.eset.com