RE: [SCA-Herbalist] teasel

  • jack hollandbeck
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 31, 2010
      hehehe This is fun. I have The Druids by Peter Beresford Ellis. I don't know how new age he is, but some of his ideas strike pretty close to what we do know (and that is pitifully little) of the ancient druids. I, too, love the rebellion in the phrase. If you apply to everyday experiences it becomes wisdom to see things as they really are, and avoid getting distracted from what is really going on. Try it with politicians. lol They become sooooo childish. I wouldn't know ancient Gaelic from modern if I had a guide. I was joking and playing off the rebellious nature of the Welsh and the Irish, and their playfulness. Also they haven't had the best relations with English speakers in history. Just ask them.
      Jack

      To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
      From: lilar@...
      Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:55:33 +1300
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] teasel

      jack hollandbeck wrote:

      I got a giggle out of your closing. You are the only other one that I have heard it from. "The Truth Against the World." In my research on the ancient druwidde (original for male druid, dryad for female druid) I came across that saying. That is the motto of the ancient druids. I fell in love with it and adopted it for myself. Thanks for spreading the cheer.

      I don't think it actually has anything to do with the ancient druids - it's in modern Gaelic, at any rate. I found it in a book by Peter Beresford, who, it turns out, is more of a New Age writer than a real scholar. But it like it's air of defiance. :-)

      ps I believe that the sole purpose for Irish and Welsh spelling is to annoy English speakers! It's their sense of humor. lol
      That's a nice thought, but sadly not true. :-)   Welsh is actually pretty easy once you know the spelling conventions. It's noticeably closer to Latin than Gaelic. I'm told that Gaelic is much more consistent than English - once you know the rules. I ahve my doubts. :-)

      Sinech.
      Absolutely Write! Editing and Proofreading Service
      Adding Value to Communication
      http://absolutelywrite.webs.com/ lilar@...

      __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4821 (20100130) __________

      http://www.eset.com

    • Lila Richards
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 12, 2010
        > Pretty much. Speculating on the druids can be a full time profession. lol
        > I like to use other language than what has already been used to describe
        > them. I do that for everything because I used to do some counseling and
        > teach special education so I had to find alternative explanations, and
        > because by not using the "usual" words I try to avoid any built in
        > misconceptions. Does that make sense?<

        It does, although I suppose you could thereby create an entire new set of
        misconceptions. :-) But I certainly think it pays not to take too much
        notice of the Roman propaganda about them.

        >Anyway, what we may have had in the druids was the genesis of a
        >proto-priestly elite. Think of the druids, NOT in classical terms, but in
        >the development of a civilization like Egypt, Babylonia, Indus Valley. The
        >usual development in civilization was to plant, then the rise of a military
        >elite (we have that in the Celts), then the rise of a priesthood around a
        >temple cult. Those priesthoods were the intellectual leaders and
        >controllers for their civilizations. I think that is what the druids
        >were....the proto-priesthood for this undiscovered lost civilization of
        >Celts. This avoids all the misconceptions by the Greeks, Romans, and
        >Christian bishops. The druids were trained to be the local elites with a
        >core of necessary skills and knowledge (college), but could also specialize
        >and cross train. This extra education would account for the classic "up to
        >twenty years of training" in the classical literature. They kept order by
        >enforcing the natural laws of the gods, I think. That would include the
        >natural order in planting, plant use, inter-personal and inter-tribal
        >relations, relations with the gods, weather, and every other thing. They
        >monitored the natural machinery of the world and life for the gods.
        >Naturally they would have to be able to observe, understand, translate and
        >make use of every thing in their environment. A thistle curry comb was no
        >different than a flight of birds or a rainbow to them. They were all part
        >of the natural machinery. Okay, enough of this, I am starting to have fun.
        >I guess that I have tried to back off and look at them from a different
        >perspective, in this case anthropologically. I don't see them as great
        >mystics (though some were, take the myrdden?) or nature freaks or
        >super-environmentalists. I think they did much as this group
        >does......experiment and learn from each other. In their plant lore I don't
        >think that they were much different from you....scholars, agronomists and
        >scientists. That is kind of a fun way to look at it. They were the handimen
        >and women of the gods. That is also one explanation of a priesthood.<

        I think they were probably similar to the Maori tohunga or his equivalent in
        African cultures, who was a priest (probably in a more or less shamanic
        sense), and also the repository of the tribe's lore and history, and as
        such, having a very high status in the tribe.

        >There is some thought that the classic Irish tales, such as the Tain bo
        >Cuailnge (?), may have come from the time of the Irish migrations in the
        >3rd or 4th century CE. lol A family album of a hostile takeover.<

        They do seem to refer to a time when the politics of Ireland were in a state
        of flux, and clan territories, etc., being established, so this could well
        be the case.

        Cheers,

        Sinech.

        An Fhirinne in aghaidh an tSaoil - The Truth Against the World

        __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4862 (20100212) __________

        http://www.eset.com