catnip/catmint

  • storm85213
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 29 12:44 PM
      Happy (post)Thanksgiving. I hope that someone can verify/illuminate me on catnip. There was a brief article in the paper yesterday about the nature and uses of catnip beyond altering the states of cats. The article said that anise extract has the same effect on dogs, but that is another topic. One of the uses was as a cockroach repellent. Also stated was that catnip tea was a popular European tea before the importation of Chinese teas. I did a quick web search which did support the cockroach repellent, and that catnip was widespread throughout Europe and North Africa.

      Does anybody know of any other uses, or the earliest suspected uses in Europe?
      Thanks,
      Jack
    • Mindslashed
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 29 5:36 PM
        I'll be honest that I don't know about period uses for catnip; but modernly catnip is used as a gentle pain reliever, relaxer, and is good for calming nerves.
        Its gentle enough to give to children, and one of the ingredients in my own personal anti-migrate tea blend.
        I suggest taking it with lemon balm and or chamomile as a soothing relaxer tea.
        Mix it with peppermint to calm an upset stomach.
        And combine it with stronger pain relievers like skullcap or arnica for long term issues, add ginger to that mix if there is chronic inflammation.
        It's also good for aromatherapy for relaxation, a hot catnip and chamomile bath is the best thing after a hard day!

        -Kuromori Fumiyo
         Shire of Dragon's Mist, Antir. Master Herbalist

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 30 7:36 AM
          If you could post a few more details of what was in the news article, I'm sure that it can be expanded.
          BTW, catnip is relaxing to humans both in tea form and in a 'dream/ relaxation pillow'.

          Elspeth McArran

          --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "storm85213" <original_xman@...> wrote:

          > Happy (post)Thanksgiving. I hope that someone can verify/illuminate me on catnip. There was a brief article in the paper yesterday about the nature and uses of catnip beyond altering the states of cats. The article said that anise extract has the same effect on dogs, but that is another topic. One of the uses was as a cockroach repellent. Also stated was that catnip tea was a popular European tea before the importation of Chinese teas. I did a quick web search which did support the cockroach repellent, and that catnip was widespread throughout Europe and North Africa.
          >
          > Does anybody know of any other uses, or the earliest suspected uses in Europe?
          > Thanks,
          > Jack

        • jack hollandbeck
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 30 10:51 AM
            Sorry Elspeth,

            Here is the entire article. This caught my attention because I had not heard of alternative uses for catnip before this article. I immediately thought about asking herbalists, since y'all are the experts that I rely on so much. Another reason is that some of my thoughts have turned to ancient options for hot drinks in the wintertime, that is besides alchohol (even though much of the wine was new wine with a low alcohol content). Teas are relatively easy to brew, and seem a natural outcropping of soups, medicants, etc. I know that herbs have been brewed for medicine, cosmetic effects, but I have not heard much about recreational brews to warm the insides when the weather was cold. I can't quite get my head around giving the children a cup of warm honey mead, though that would keep them quiet. lol Hence, this is why I asked about catnip. I am full of questions and always seeking answers. So, could catnip have been used as a recreational warm drink, does it have any medicinal properties, contraindications or side effects? How common were teas? and what where some common plants that were used? I am just curious. Thanks ahead of time for any thing that you wish to share with me.
            Jack
            ps I am not a cat person. I am a dog person. lol

            Today's question:
            I bought some catnip for my kitten, but she just ignores it. Can I give it to my dog?
            A few things here:
            Did you know that even big cats such as cougars or lions like catnip? I saw a video of a cougar on catnip, but in retrospect it wasn't all that interesting, so I'd didn't copy the address. You didn't mention how old your kitten is, but most cats don't react to catnip until they are at least 6 to 8 weeks old. In fact, some young cats will actually try to avoid it. And some cats get no kick from it at all. The active ingredient in catnip is something called nepetalactone. Cats have a receptor in their palates that is activated by the stuff and makes them goofy. However, somewhere between 10 percent and 30 percent of kitties lack this receptor, so catnip does not affect them. It's a genetic thing. As for your dog, catnip won't affect it because it doesn't have that receptor. I'd never heard about this before, but anise seed or anise-seed extract will work on dogs the same way catnip works on cats. I'm not sure why. Anyway, get some anise extract at the grocery store and rub it on one of your dog's favorite toys and see if it makes the dog weird. I don't think I'll try it. My dogs are weird enough as it is without getting them stoned. More about catnip: It has been used by humans for centuries to treat ailments such as colic, headache, fever, toothache and colds. It is also supposed to help you sleep. And before tea from the Orient was readily available, catnip tea was very popular in Europe. One last thing: Researchers have found that catnip is very effective in repelling cockroaches.

            > To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
            > From: DamePosintella@...
            > Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:36:46 +0000
            > Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: catnip/catmint
            >
            > If you could post a few more details of what was in the news article, I'm sure that it can be expanded.
            > BTW, catnip is relaxing to humans both in tea form and in a 'dream/ relaxation pillow'.
            >
            > Elspeth McArran
            >

            > --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "storm85213" <original_xman@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Happy (post)Thanksgiving. I hope that someone can verify/illuminate me on catnip. There was a brief article in the paper yesterday about the nature and uses of catnip beyond altering the states of cats. The article said that anise extract has the same effect on dogs, but that is another topic. One of the uses was as a cockroach repellent. Also stated was that catnip tea was a popular European tea before the importation of Chinese teas. I did a quick web search which did support the cockroach repellent, and that catnip was widespread throughout Europe and North Africa.
            > >
            > > Does anybody know of any other uses, or the earliest suspected uses in Europe?
            > > Thanks,
            > > Jack

            > <*> Your email settings:
            > Individual Email | Traditional
            >
            > <*> To change settings online go to:
            > (Yahoo! ID required)
            >
            > <*> To change settings via email:
            > SCA-Herbalist-digest@yahoogroups.com
            > SCA-Herbalist-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.
          • Amy Provost
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 30 12:08 PM
              My feelings on catnip ~ it's cooling and soothing to both the digestive system and the nervous system.  I use it in tea blends for lactating women (helps to prevent colic), my tummy tea (helps with gas and cools hot digestion), and a night-time sleepy tea (as a mild nervine that mixes well with chamomile).  It's mild enough to the nervous system, that it's safe for children.

              Ameline

              --
              www.crookedwall.org
              www.bthumbstudios.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 30 3:04 PM
                cool. thanks.]
                Jack

                To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
                From: sparrowhawk9@...
                Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:08:28 -0500
                Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: catnip/catmint

> [...]

                > > Does anybody know of any other uses, or the earliest suspected uses in Europe?
                > > Thanks,
                > > Jack

                > <*> Your email settings:
                > Individual Email | Traditional
                >
                > <*> To change settings online go to:
                > (Yahoo! ID required)
                >
                > <*> To change settings via email:
                > SCA-Herbalist-digest@yahoogroups.com
                > SCA-Herbalist-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.

              • Dyddgu
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
                  Catnip is wonderful in tea form, I love to drink at night to relax me from a hectic day. Catnip mixed with a bit of basil or dandelion leaf makes a great pesto! I have a few recipes if anyone is interested. Once again though I doubt they are period.

                  Here is information on catnip, I know its not period (then again it could be:) however it is herbal related.

                  CATNIP

                  Latin Name: Nepeta cataria

                  Alternate Names: Catmint, Catnep, Chi Hsueh Tsao (Chinese), Field Balm

                  Family: LAMIACEAE

                  Parts Used: Leaves.

                  Properties: Anodyne, Antibacterial, Antidiarrheal, Antispasmodic, Aromatic, Carminative, Diaphoretic, Emmenagogue, Mucolytic, Nervine, Refrigerant, Sedative, Stomach Tonic, Tonic.

                  Internal Uses: Amenorrhea, Anxiety, Bronchitis, Chickenpox, Colds, Diarrhea, Dysmenorrhea, Dyspepsia, Fever, Flatulence, Headache, Hives, Hyperactivity, Hysteria, Indigestion, Insomnia, Measles, Motion Sickness, Restlessness, Stomachache, Teething, Toothache

                  Internal Applications: Tea, Tincture, Capsules.

                  It is a mild antibacterial. Chew the fresh leaves for a headache or toothache. It helps stomachaches by calming the nerves. Use it for stress, nervousness. This is an excellent herb for children and will help calm them during the trials of teething, colic and restlessness. When given for colds and fevers, it helps the person get the rest that they need.

                  Topical Uses: Allergies, Arthritis, Bloodshot Eyes, Bruises, Colic, Eye Inflammation, Hemorrhoids, Hiccups, Insect Bites, Insect Repellent, Pain, Rheumatism, Sprains, Stress, Teething, Toothache

                  Topical Applications: Bath herb for stress, colic and teething. Compress or poultice for pain, sprains, bruises and insect bites. Toothache poultice. Hair rinse for scalp irritations. Liniment for arthritis and rheumatism. Eyewash for inflammation, allergies and bloodshot eyes. Enema to cleanse the colon. Salve for hemorrhoids. Leaves have been smoked as a euphoric and to stop hiccoughs. Catnip toys for cats - simply tie some of the dried herb into an old sock. The scent repels rats and many insects.

                  Culinary uses: Young leaves can be made into pesto and sauces, and added to salads. Leaves are rubbed on meat, before cooking, as a flavoring. Before Chinese tea was popular in the West, Catnip was enjoyed as a common beverage.

                  Energetics: Pungent, Bitter, Cool, Dry.

                  Chemical Constituents: Essential oil (carvacrol, citronellal, geraniol, nepetol, nepetelactone, pulegone, thymol), iridoids, tannins.

                  Contraindications: No toxicity although smoking the herb is mildly hallucinogenic.

                  Comments: Named after the attraction that cats have for nipping this plant. It seems to affect them as an aphrodisiac and a euphoric. Its smell is similar to the pheromones that cats secrete. The genus name, Nepeta, is from Nepeti, a Roman town where this herb was cultivated. This is a good herb for people who don't like sharing, have a hard time revealing their feelings, and never complain. Early American settlers believed it would make kind people mean, and so the dried roots were fed to hangmen and executioners. It can be grown from seed in the garden, but if transplanted the neighborhood cats will devour it; hence the saying, 'If you set it, cats will eat it. If you sow it, cats won't know it'.
                • Carowyn Silveroak
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009

                    Greetings!

                    My favorite drink in the winter when the sniffles come is Syrup of Lemons, which a shire friend gave to me one nasty cold shire demo when I was feeling quite under the weather (shouldn't have been there in the first place, learned my lesson....keep my germs to myself, I do!)

                    Enjoy!

                    -Carowyn

                    >Another reason is that some of my thoughts have turned to ancient
                    options for hot drinks in the wintertime, that is besides alchohol (even though much of the wine was new wine with a low alcohol content).

                    Hotel
                    Hotel pics, info and virtual tours. Click here to book a hotel online.

                  • Dana Kramer-Rolls
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 17, 2010

                      I fully concur with Kuromori Fumiyo .  I used to make a tea of catnip, skullcap, valerian, and white willow bark for postwar fighting aches and pains for the Hoghton household.  That will  knock you out.  But it certainly works.

                      Have you had any results for feverfew for headaches.  I know that in the UK that is a standard treatment.  And it grows like crazy.

                      Sir Maythen

                      Mists, West

                      Happy (post)Thanksgiving. I hope that someone can verify/illuminate me on catnip. There was a brief article in the paper yesterday about the nature and uses of catnip beyond altering the states of cats. The article said that anise extract has the same effect on dogs, but that is another topic. One of the uses was as a cockroach repellent. Also stated was that catnip tea was a popular European tea before the importation of Chinese teas. I did a quick web search which did support the cockroach repellent, and that catnip was widespread throughout Europe and North Africa.

                      Does anybody know of any other uses, or the earliest suspected uses in Europe?
                      Thanks,
                      Jack

                    • Foster, Laurie E. USNCIV NAVAIR 2185, ST

                        -Kuromori Fumiyo <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/40.gif>

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 19, 2010
                          A Care2 article stated that an Iowa State University research group showed that the essential oil found in the herb catnip is about 10 times more effective than DEET in repelling mosquitoes in the laboratory. DEET apparently also causes brain damage. Lavender also was mentioned in the article as a mosquito repellant. And citronella oil, which is kind of minty-lemony. So your strewing mixture sounds bang on.

                          Sir Maythen

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 19, 2010

                            But think of the side effects!

                            It's much easier to swat the swarms of mosquitoes than all those cats.  But at least you can see them better...

                            Treasach

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 20, 2010

                              My dear, I am surrounded by clouds of cats, and as for seeing them, they do have a way of materializing underfoot.

                              Sir Maythen, Cat Whisperer

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 21, 2010
                                And my cats eat bugs....

                                -Kuromori Fumiyo <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/40.gif <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/40.gif> >

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 24, 2010
                                  My two pence on Feverfew:
                                  YES! It works well (for me). More than a bit bitter if you use the liquid form... capsules work equally well. I use it for sinus "migraine". Also good for "hay fever".

                                  Elspeth McArran

                                  --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "Dana Kramer-Rolls" <danadkr@...> wrote:

                                  > I fully concur with Kuromori Fumiyo . I used to make a tea of catnip, skullcap, valerian, and white willow bark for postwar fighting aches and pains for the Hoghton household. That will knock you out. But it certainly works.
                                  >

                                  > Have you had any results for feverfew for headaches. I know that in the UK that is a standard treatment. And it grows like crazy.
                                  >

                                  > Sir Maythen
                                  >
                                  > Mists, West

                                • beginxs
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 24, 2010
                                    my feverfew grows like crazy!! steep like for tea, soak clothes for face pack!
                                    sigh - wonderful plant

                                    Yerushah             mka: Jerusha

                                    www.pamperedchef.biz/jewgann