Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: (unknown)

  • Shield of Peace
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31, 2009
      My (admittedly dated) 1998 PDR for Herbal Medicine only lists
      Lavendula Angustifola, which has no warnings against it. It does say
      it is not to be confused with the other two varieties, but lists no
      information for those varieties.

      Aquilina
    • audreytaylor13
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 4, 2009
        --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "ladypeyton" <ladypeyton@...> wrote:

        Always keep in mind that any herb, ingested in more than small quantities, can cause symptoms of poisoning. Even such simple sounding herbs as basil, thyme or sage. If you ingest too much then you can be poisoned. How much is too much? Well I would say that for the most part more than a 1/4 cup of any herb would be too much. I use 3 tablespoons of fresh rosemary in a cake. I have a recipe for lavendar cookies around somewhere, and I knot that it only calls for one tablespoon of the buds. I don't know about the leaf. Of course pesto is a mixture of basil, parsley and garlic but one tends to not use more than a tablepoon or so of that at a time. Or at least I don't, and I love pesto. Just I think the best frame of reference is to remember. With herbs more is not usually better.
      • Mindslashed
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 4, 2009
          This is true with herbs we use on a daily basis for culinary purposes, when we get into medical herbs there is far for to consider! dosage is important of course, too little gleans no effect, and too much can be a trip to the emergency ward!
          Along with dose when taking herbs for medicinal purposes you also have to consider allergies, and current medications.
          For instance Chamomile, one of my favorite herbs, is considered fairly harmless, being a gentle de-stresser when drunk as a tea, and  powerful muscle relaxer when used as a compress. This herb is related to the common allergy-weed ragweed, and in certain people can cause the same symptoms!
          i'm also reminded of nutmeg, which at one point was the most valuable commodity in the world being worth more than gold, is well know for its hallucinatory effects in large doses and is often reccomened that pregnet women abstain from it.

          thank you for bringing up this topic milady. :)
          in this modern mundane world of "being-green" i often have to remind my mundane friends that natural isnt always better. remember, nightshade and hermlock are natural too!

          -Rune

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 10, 2009
            All lavenders can be used medicinally, but angustifolia is the most common.  Personally, I grow an angustifolia variety called Munstead, which thrives in my zone 4 garden.  Although it's usually sold as English lavender, it was actually brought to the region by the Romans and is not a true native to the islands.  Angustifolia was formerly known as officinalis, spica, or vera.  I believe concerns with internal usage are mostly related to the essential oil, which should be used externally only.  I'm not aware of any cases of toxicity involving ingestion of the plant material as either food or infusion.  If I include it in a tea blend, it's generally not more than 1/8 part.

            Ameline

            On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 7:48 AM, chris carpenter <donat0@...> wrote:

            I am glad you made sure you ordered the correct thing, but I was concerned because a response was made by a vendor saying thats all she carried,(L. augustifolia) for convenience, and that she feels the one variety is good for all purposes.  Its not.  There are about 5 varieties in use, and each one evolved in a very different region and climate.  They developed differently with different oils becoming dominant.

            Kashmir Lavender ,(L. augustifolia)  grows high in the Pakistani mountains, and has extreme cold-hot swing, and high elevations. This makes a very hardy plant that would evolve preservative oils

            French Lavender (L officianalis) has moderate and very sunny environments that encourages more visual and perfume oriented qualities to attract pollinators because its such prime breeding grounds.

            English Lavender (L angustafolia) comes from the moors of Britain, and evolved in cool damp environment that needed human help, and thus developed qualities humans find beneficial,  being garden and consumption safe.

            I am not sure what qualities the other varieties of Lavender would have or why, but I didn't venture this part of the conversation to discuss my love of Lavender.  There is a very real danger in consuming the wrong kind of Lavender, and there is a very real reason why one would choose different lavenders for different purposes.  I listed the 3 kinds so people can get the right kind for their purpose.

            Kashmir is used for ointments and salves, French is used for perfumes, and English is used for cooking.

            --
            www.crookedwall.org
            www.bthumbstudios.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 10, 2009
              Hi Audrey,

              Just wondering if you'd be willing to share your lavendar cookie recipe?  I have a ton of lavendar this year and that would be a fabulous way to use it!

              Regards,
              Vivienne

              On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 9:30 AM, audreytaylor13 <AudreyTaylor13@...> wrote:

              --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "ladypeyton" <ladypeyton@...> wrote:

              Always keep in mind that any herb, ingested in more than small quantities, can cause symptoms of poisoning. Even such simple sounding herbs as basil, thyme or sage. If you ingest too much then you can be poisoned. How much is too much? Well I would say that for the most part more than a 1/4 cup of any herb would be too much. I use 3 tablespoons of fresh rosemary in a cake. I have a recipe for lavendar cookies around somewhere, and I knot that it only calls for one tablespoon of the buds. I don't know about the leaf. Of course pesto is a mixture of basil, parsley and garlic but one tends to not use more than a tablepoon or so of that at a time. Or at least I don't, and I love pesto. Just I think the best frame of reference is to remember. With herbs more is not usually better.

            • catherine_dewinter
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 17, 2009
                Aquilina, do you recommend the Herbal PDR?
                I know that Germany rather than U.S. is where study is happening.
                eBay has some 2000, 2004 editions that are not very much money, thinking of ordering one.

                Catherine de Winter