Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Steve Blamires

  • wyldrose
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2009
      Most of the information on the Celts'  Battle of the Trees' can be directly traced to Grave's book 'The White Goddess' which although very well thought out and inspirational is not in any way period.  Most Celtic Reconstruction list will tear you to pieces using any information  from this source.   I personally like Grave's writing, and do not think there is a whole lot of  'real' information available to reconstruct an accurate account of  ancient Celtic religions and philosophies.  As far as herbalist, I would go with what ever period information you can get.
          This is usually a hot topic on many groups so  I am hesitantly posting this on the hopes of not getting flamed:))
                                   Kay

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2009
        Apparently he is still alive.  He teaches an overview of Celtic cultures at Peninsula College in Port Angeles, WA and is co-owner of a Celtic "resource" there.  You may be able to contact him through their contact link here:

        https://www.wanderingangus.com/contact/index.htm
        (I haven't checked this link to see if it works)

        From what I've read here and there on the web, he is considered a creditable source, but nothing is really said about his spiritual leanings except that he is a co founder of a "working magical group".

        Since he is still alive, and can answer your questions better than anyone, I suggest you try to contact him.  It is very rare that we can actually discuss issues such as yours with the author!  I have contacted both authors and artists of internet finds with great success.  They are generally happy to be appreciated.