Nits, wasRe: [SCA-Herbalist] Moisturizing question

  • Jennifer Heise
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 19 9:48 PM
      Have you tried either a commercial nit-comb or just a really
      narrow-tooth period comb?

    • ileana boyd
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 20 4:10 AM
        I have a comb that is much more narrow than a nit comb, but have still been missing them it seems.  His hair 'was' the same color as the nits, we just recently colored it a dark brown, aiming for black.  He is 14 and has longish hair.  We have been using a tea tree shampoo since it seems that tea tree stuns and/or kills the lice, but it's those darn nits that I can't see that are driving me nuts. ;-)
        My mother has suggested liquid hand soap, baking soda, and vinegar...we are going to try that this weekend and see if it works.  One thing that does work for combing out the lice in the hair is a light oil, (ex: olive, or grape seed) mixed with quite a bit of tea tree oil.  Since it is an oil that can be used neat, I don't have to worry about his skin, but you do not want to do this every day, as too much tea tree "can" be toxic to your system.
        yis
        Guileana

      • Lauren
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 20 9:02 AM
          Jennifer Heise wrote:

          > > Okay, so now here is my question: my long haired teenage son has
          > lice, tea
          > > tree oil seems to kill the critters, what is a quick way to get the
          > nits off
          > > the hair, they are the exact same color as his hair and I have trouble
          > > seeing them to pull them out, so he keeps getting the critters. It
          > is less
          > > and less, but still there.

          Henna will fix lice. If he objects to being a redhead, go for a really
          low quality brand like Light Mountain, which your local health food
          store is likely to carry anyway. You can even mix a little tea tree oil
          in with the henna goo, just to make sure. Here's the link to my website
          on how to do it: http://www.hennadancer.com/henna_hair.html
          Ghazalah