Re: [SCA-Herbalist] spring allergy help?

  • Amy Provost
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 19, 2009
      Cigarette smoke can absolutely be an allergy irritant!  If the trees are blooming outside right now, you should absolutely be keeping the windows closed for a while.

      I assume you were taking echinacea because allergies are an immune issue?  I would use astragalus, which is an immune tonic rather than stimulant.  Myself, I use a lemon balm tincture for allergies, but I've also heard goldenrod, butterbur, and roobis have antihistamine qualities.  You might also want to consider using a neti pot.  Diet, even if you don't see a connection, can make a big difference in the amount of suffering.  Artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives can all be triggers.

      I would agree that birds should not be kept in the bedroom though.  Especially if dust mites are an issue for you.  Livingroom is best for them, in my opinion, because parrots are such social creatures :)

      Ameline

      On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 7:26 AM, Lady Biya <aisinbiya@...> wrote:

      Hello all, I was wondering if anyone knew of any good methods without echinecia for dealing with spring allergies that will allow me to sleep all the way through the night once I go to bed.  i'm very allergic tree pollen and keep waking up (and my boyfriend) several times every night.  This is a dangerous time to be unable to sleep with both of our jobs on the line (not to mention our company as a whole), so finding SOME WAY to deal with these allergies is very important.

      I've tried regular benedryl.  that doesn't work.   zyrtec over the counter mostly works, but I still will wake up once in the morning with a MASSIVE coughing fit from post nasal drip.

      Naturally my boyfriend does not think that his smoking in the master bathroom (out the window, but still in the apartment) or leaving the window open at all times could affect my allergies.  But it seems to me that both of these things, which are changes from what I was exposed to before we lived together, has to be aggrivating my allergies and making it all worse.  wouldn't letting more pollen into the bedroom making my allergic reaction to pollen greater?  And how does exposure to residual smoke that stays in a room affect allergies.

      Kevin thinks his smoking in the house cannot affect my allergies, but I am not so sure.

      And what can I do to improve my allergy situation when I'm trying to sleep.  he is very upset at me for having them at all because of the way it upsets them.  I feel helpless on the matter.  I do not know what to do.  they have never been this severe before--but then, I always kept my windows closed and never lived with a smoker before.

      Oh, and he insists the birds be kept in another room, but is blaming my parrots for my increased allergies.  For over 20 years my parrots slept in the same room as me, including cockatoos which are the kind of parrot which people are usually allergic to.  never an allergy issue.  i've had cockatiels sleep on my pillow with me and no disruption to my sleep or sneezing.  So blaming my birds when I've had them MANY YEARS before i ever had any allergies is silly.

      --
      Lady Biya Sama
      http://biyasama.com

      www.crookedwall.org
      www.bthumbstudios.com
    • ileana boyd
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 19, 2009
        Another thought is that you may be allergic to something with him. Aftershave, shampoo, etc.  Or just a reaction to the stress of a change in living conditions.
        Just a thought.
        Guileana

        ""Not all sweetness, not all light, some that bark will also bite. Magick that is taken has quite a price, if not given freely you will meet some Fae that aren't too nice." Shadows, Gateway to Faerie, ElvenDrums"

        In short: Watch out for the red-headed ones! :-)

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/scaparrots

        --
        www.crookedwall. org
        www.bthumbstudios. com

      • Suhayma@cox.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 19, 2009
          Dear Lady Biya,

          I have a few suggestions. One - quit the blame-game with the boyfriend. It helps no one.

          Two - Get a good, quiet filter to run in the bedroom at all times. That has helped my husband and me immensely.

          Three - start taking quercetin 2 times a day (minimum). You can get it at health food stores or online and you can look it up online as well. It has made my allergies go from 24/7 year-round sniffling, sneezing, hacking, waking up coughing - to the occasional sniffle, drippy nose. It takes around a week to build up in your system and start working - but man, it does work!

          Good luck!

          Suhayma

          > On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 7:26 AM, Lady Biya <aisinbiya@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hello all, I was wondering if anyone knew of any good methods without
          > > echinecia for dealing with spring allergies that will allow me to sleep all
          > > the way through the night once I go to bed. i'm very allergic tree pollen
          > > and keep waking up (and my boyfriend) several times every night. This is a
          > > dangerous time to be unable to sleep with both of our jobs on the line (not
          > > to mention our company as a whole), so finding SOME WAY to deal with these
          > > allergies is very important.
          > >
          > > I've tried regular benedryl. that doesn't work. zyrtec over the counter
          > > mostly works, but I still will wake up once in the morning with a MASSIVE
          > > coughing fit from post nasal drip.
          > >
          > > Naturally my boyfriend does not think that his smoking in the master
          > > bathroom (out the window, but still in the apartment) or leaving the window
          > > open at all times could affect my allergies. But it seems to me that both
          > > of these things, which are changes from what I was exposed to before we
          > > lived together, has to be aggrivating my allergies and making it all worse.
          > > wouldn't letting more pollen into the bedroom making my allergic reaction to
          > > pollen greater? And how does exposure to residual smoke that stays in a
          > > room affect allergies.
          > >
          > > Kevin thinks his smoking in the house cannot affect my allergies, but I am
          > > not so sure.
          > >
          > > And what can I do to improve my allergy situation when I'm trying to
          > > sleep. he is very upset at me for having them at all because of the way it
          > > upsets them. I feel helpless on the matter. I do not know what to do.
          > > they have never been this severe before--but then, I always kept my windows
          > > closed and never lived with a smoker before.
          > >
          > > Oh, and he insists the birds be kept in another room, but is blaming my
          > > parrots for my increased allergies. For over 20 years my parrots slept in
          > > the same room as me, including cockatoos which are the kind of parrot which
          > > people are usually allergic to. never an allergy issue. i've had
          > > cockatiels sleep on my pillow with me and no disruption to my sleep or
          > > sneezing. So blaming my birds when I've had them MANY YEARS before i ever
          > > had any allergies is silly.
          > >
          > > --
          > > Lady Biya Sama
          > > http://biyasama.com
          > > Knowne World Aviculturists
          > >

          > --
          > www.crookedwall.org
          > www.bthumbstudios.com
        • McIsaac & Capnerhurst
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 19, 2009
            For his allergies, my husband was using a combination of fenugreek, for expectorant, horehound and coltsfoot for decongestant, and nettle to reduce future attacks.  Drink as often as possible.

            Third hand smoke, as the residue form smoking is called, is now considered in many countries just as harmful as second hand, esp. to the sensitive.  It's more than an irritant; it's carcinogenic.  Anywhere in the house is totally not on, and even the clothes he smokes in will carry around toxins.  He should wear special clothes anytime he smokes, and then decontaminate afterwards.  What do you think smoking jackets were for?

            Treasach

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 19, 2009

              ---- Amy Provost <sparrowhawk9@...> wrote:
> [...]
              > > not so sure.
              > >
              > > And what can I do to improve my allergy situation when I'm trying to
              > > sleep. he is very upset at me for having them at all because of the way it
              > > upsets them. I feel helpless on the matter. I do not know what to do.
              > > they have never been this severe before--but then, I always kept my windows
              > > closed and never lived with a smoker before.
              > >
              > > Oh, and he insists the birds be kept in another room, but is blaming my
              > > parrots for my increased allergies. For over 20 years my parrots slept in
              > > the same room as me, including cockatoos which are the kind of parrot which
              > > people are usually allergic to. never an allergy issue. i've had
              > > cockatiels sleep on my pillow with me and no disruption to my sleep or
              > > sneezing. So blaming my birds when I've had them MANY YEARS before i ever

            • Alexandra Hahn
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 19, 2009
                Dear Lady Biya,

                I have a few suggestions. One - quit the blame-game with the boyfriend. It helps no one.

                Two - Get a good, quiet filter to run in the bedroom at all times. That has helped my husband and me immensely.

                Three - start taking quercetin 2 times a day. You can get it at health food stores or online and you can look it up online as well. It has made my allergies go from 24/7 year-round sniffling, sneezing, hacking, waking up coughing - to the occasional sniffle, drippy nose. It takes around a week to build up in your system and start working - but man, it does work!

                Good luck!
                Suhayma

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 19, 2009
                  What is this?  A smoker's invasion?

                  When someone is hitting me on the head with a hammer and causing my nose to bleed, I don't look around wondering what type of bandage might best handle my blood soaking requirements, or what I might be doing to cause the bleeding.  I blame the idiot with the hammer!  and make them stop!

                  Smokers liked to pretend that second hand smoke was a whiner's complaint, and that "cracking the window" did just fine.  Well, it doesn't.  Have you ever wiped down the walls where ppl smoke?  The tarry toxins certainly aren't ordinary dust...

                  Yes, blame your boyfriend.  If your lungs are vulnerable, or worse if you have kids, he's killing you and them.  And no amount of smoker's denial has ever stopped cancer.

                  Treasach

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 19, 2009
                    Dear Treasach ,

                    I was not insinuating that smoking is in any way good for our original questioner, nor for her boyfriend if it comes to that. What I said was, don't argue about it - because if he's a smoker, who has already indicated he is not going to stop for her, then if you want to continue the relationship, change what you can and stop beating your head on what you can't. Totally unsolicited and probably out of place on this list. My apologies.

                    Suhayma

                  • >^-.-^<
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 19, 2009
                      Allergies to pollen can sometimes be helped by eating honey derived from the
                      plant that you are allergic to. Check to see if you have any beekeepers in
                      your area.
                      Unfortunately, this won't help with cigarette smoke. Have you thought about
                      replacing your boyfriend? :-Þ
                      Cat

[...]

                    • Dianna Haught
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 19, 2009
                        My thought also! Why would anyone want to keep a boyfriend who smells and tastes like an ashtray and has absolutely no concern for the health and well being of his partner. Sounds like its time to go shopping. Those things are easily replaceable.
                        Avacyn

                        >Allergies to pollen can sometimes be helped by eating honey derived from the
                        >plant that you are allergic to. Check to see if you have any beekeepers in
                        >your area.
                        >Unfortunately, this won't help with cigarette smoke. Have you thought about
                        >replacing your boyfriend? :-Þ
                        >Cat
                        >

                        >Hello all, I was wondering if anyone knew of any good methods without
                        >echinecia for dealing with spring allergies that will allow me to sleep all
                        >the way through the night once I go to bed. i'm very allergic tree pollen
                        >and keep waking up (and my boyfriend) several times every night. This is a
                        >dangerous time to be unable to sleep with both of our jobs on the line (not
                        >to mention our company as a whole), so finding SOME WAY to deal with these
                        >allergies is very important.
                        >
                        >I've tried regular benedryl. that doesn't work. zyrtec over the counter
                        >mostly works, but I still will wake up once in the morning with a MASSIVE
                        >coughing fit from post nasal drip.
                        >
                        >Naturally my boyfriend does not think that his smoking in the master
                        >bathroom (out the window, but still in the apartment) or leaving the window
                        >open at all times could affect my allergies. But it seems to me that both
                        >of these things, which are changes from what I was exposed to before we
                        >lived together, has to be aggrivating my allergies and making it all worse.
                        >wouldn't letting more pollen into the bedroom making my allergic reaction to
                        >pollen greater? And how does exposure to residual smoke that stays in a
                        >room affect allergies.
                        >
                        >Kevin thinks his smoking in the house cannot affect my allergies, but I am
                        >not so sure.
                        >
                        >And what can I do to improve my allergy situation when I'm trying to sleep.
                        >he is very upset at me for having them at all because of the way it upsets
                        >them. I feel helpless on the matter. I do not know what to do. they have
                        >never been this severe before--but then, I always kept my windows closed and
                        >never lived with a smoker before.
                        >
                        >Oh, and he insists the birds be kept in another room, but is blaming my
                        >parrots for my increased allergies. For over 20 years my parrots slept in
                        >the same room as me, including cockatoos which are the kind of parrot which
                        >people are usually allergic to. never an allergy issue. i've had
                        >cockatiels sleep on my pillow with me and no disruption to my sleep or
                        >sneezing. So blaming my birds when I've had them MANY YEARS before i ever
                        >had any allergies is silly.

                        English doesn't just borrow words from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, hits them over the head with old beer bottles and rummages through their pockets for loose grammar.
                      • jack hollandbeck
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 20, 2009
                          This is right up my alley, so to phrase. I used to have SERIOUSLY HEALTH INHIBITING allergy reactions everyday around the clock. I also care for my fragile asthmatic mom, and I smoke little cigars (even though I never learned to inhale. I screwed up in reverse again.). So I have some little insight into such things so I will offer my advice for your inspection. Remember that an "allergy" is your body over reacting to some thing that it is contact with.

                          1. Stop speculating on what you might be allergic to and go see an allergist to get tested. The test  will cover generic food allergies as well as local allergens from flora and fauna. Then you won't have to guess, you will know what and how intensely you are allergic. I am allergic to common desert weeds, dust, one kind of olive tree, and mesquite.

                          2. Make a specific plan to deal with your specific allergies and stop shotgunning your approach. It may be just a lifestyle change or serious medications. Once you know what you are allergic to then AVOID THEM. Simple, no? My allergies are all outside so I should limit my outdoor times whenever possible. I am also in my second year of a four year shot program to desensitize me to my allergies (it is really a homeopathic approach). There has been a HUGE improvement in my sensitivity. A simple treatment is to use a saline nasal spray to flush out the sinuses. It is the allergens in the sinuses that are the normal culprits.

                          3. Clean up your environment. Whether you have outdoor allergies or indoor ones, all will end up indoors anyway. Make sure that your home is kept neat and clean and dusted. Seal the windows as much as possible. Any particle in the air can be an allergen or carry one. Get some good air cleaners. We have three IONIC BREEZE air cleaners and I love them. They are silent, so easy to clean and very efficient. Get a good vacuum cleaner.

                          4. Smoking is not an issue. It is a contributor! The smoking must remain outside. Remember that I am smoker. Any and all smoke is made up of tiny particles. That is what makes smoke visible. Those particles will be inhaled and act as a further irritant to the sinuses, bronchi and lungs. That is a bad thing for many reasons. For allergies though, and asthma which is another allergic reaction, the continual over stimulation and irritation makes these tissues even more sensitive and prone to over reaction. If your boyfriend loves you, or even merely respects you, HE MUST RESPECT YOUR HEALTH TOO. Tell him to smoke outside PERIOD. It is a health issue, not a whining issue.

                          That is enough of advice, lecture, homily or sermon (your choice) for now. Start basic and keep it simple and avoid the drama.
                          1. TEST   2. PLAN    3. CLEAN    4. OUTSIDE           Just trying to help.

                          Jack

                          To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                          Windows Live™ SkyDrive: Get 25 GB of free online storage. Check it out.
                        • jharkinhome@gmail.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 22, 2009
                            Fabulous helpful thread. I rescue/rehome cats often given up due to allergies. May I share thread with rescue colleagues and can anyone add anything specific to cat or dog allergies? Joanna. Harkin in. Wash dc

                            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 29, 2009
                              The only thing specifically I could add to this in particular to cat and dog allergies....sometimes the food makes a difference.  My sister swears that her allergy symptoms disappeared when she switched her cat to a better diet.  Forget the Friskies and switch to a food that does not contain corn, wheat, by products and fillers.

                              Ameline