Moisturizing question

  • Dianaim
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 14, 2009
      Hi Folks,

      Got a question.  Just had my first child and have been using Lansinoh (lanolin ointment) for breast feeding.

      My query is, I thought that lanolin was supposed to have moisturizer qualities.

      I have been finding that my hands have been drying out from washing the bottles used for supplemental feedings, especially the index fingers and thumbs which are used to apply the Lasinoh on the breast.

      Shouldn't the lanolin be keeping the index fingers and thumbs moist?  They have been drying out so bad that they are rough and just beginning to get painful.

      Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

      Dianaim
    • jack hollandbeck
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 15, 2009
        Lanoline is used in many over the counter lotions because of the moisturizing qualities from the oil in the wool. However my sister is very allergic to lanolin in every form. It dries her skin out and causes a severe rash. You might ask the local cosmetician for help in locating a non-lanoline moisturizer. Petroleum jelly is one idea.
        Jack

        To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
        From: tempestviolet@...
        Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 00:39:54 -0400
        Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] Moisturizing question

        Hi Folks,

        Got a question.  Just had my first child and have been using Lansinoh (lanolin ointment) for breast feeding.

        My query is, I thought that lanolin was supposed to have moisturizer qualities.

        I have been finding that my hands have been drying out from washing the bottles used for supplemental feedings, especially the index fingers and thumbs which are used to apply the Lasinoh on the breast.

        Shouldn't the lanolin be keeping the index fingers and thumbs moist?  They have been drying out so bad that they are rough and just beginning to get painful.

        Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

        Dianaim

        Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Find out more.
      • Richenda du Jardin
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 15, 2009
          Actually, almond oil works is one of the best alternatives to lanolin
          (if you are not allergic to almonds). It is well-absorbed by the skin
          and forms an effective barrier to moisture loss without feeling greasy.
          It's also available in most grocery stores. If you can't find almond
          oil, try olive oil.

          If you don't mind buying a commercial preparation, try udder cream. Make
          sure you thoroughly moisturize at night for best results. I suggest also
          applying Carmex lip balm to any cracks you have (warning: it will
          STING); it helps heal the cracks by drawing the skin together.

          I don't like petroleum jelly because it feels greasy and sticky to me
          and isn't really absorbed by the skin.

          Richenda

          jack hollandbeck wrote:

          > Lanoline is used in many over the counter lotions because of the
          > moisturizing qualities from the oil in the wool. However my sister is
          > very allergic to lanolin in every form. It dries her skin out and
          > causes a severe rash. You might ask the local cosmetician for help in
          > locating a non-lanoline moisturizer. Petroleum jelly is one idea.
          > Jack

          > To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
          > From: tempestviolet@...
          > Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 00:39:54 -0400
          > Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] Moisturizing question
          >
          > Hi Folks,
          >
          > Got a question. Just had my first child and have been using Lansinoh
          > (lanolin ointment) for breast feeding.
          >
          > My query is, I thought that lanolin was supposed to have moisturizer
          > qualities.
          >
          > I have been finding that my hands have been drying out from washing
          > the bottles used for supplemental feedings, especially the index
          > fingers and thumbs which are used to apply the Lasinoh on the breast.
          >
          > Shouldn't the lanolin be keeping the index fingers and thumbs moist?
          > They have been drying out so bad that they are rough and just
          > beginning to get painful.
          >
          > Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Dianaim

          > Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Find
          > out more.
          > <http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_70faster_032009>

        • wela
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 15, 2009
            Bag balm.  It is a commercial product; however, I've never found a better moisturizer while breast feeding.

            Hywela

            To: SCA-Herbalist@ yahoogroups. com
            From: tempestviolet@ gmail.com
            Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 00:39:54 -0400

            Hi Folks,

            Got a question.  Just had my first child and have been using Lansinoh (lanolin ointment) for breast feeding.

            My query is, I thought that lanolin was supposed to have moisturizer qualities.

            I have been finding that my hands have been drying out from washing the bottles used for supplemental feedings, especially the index fingers and thumbs which are used to apply the Lasinoh on the breast.

            Shouldn't the lanolin be keeping the index fingers and thumbs moist?  They have been drying out so bad that they are rough and just beginning to get painful.

            Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

            Dianaim

            Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Find out more.

          • McIsaac & Capnerhurst
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 15, 2009
              "Chemically akin to wax, it can be used as a skin ointment or water-proofing wax".  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanolin

              Lanolin is not a moisturizer, per se.  Much like surface oil, only longer lasting and less absorbed by the skin, it creates a coating as a barrier to moisture loss and acts as a lubricant.

              Since the skin is an organ of absorption and elimination,the old herbalist's rule is anything that goes on your skin, you should be able to eat.  Vaseline would do the same job as lanolin, but since it is a petroleum product, it would be like wrapping your skin in plastic.  It might retain the moisture all right, but it removes the skin's ability to breathe and detoxify, as well as increasing the chance of bacterial incubation.

              Since I am currently nursing myself, I have created a cream and am testing a salve for just such a condition.  It's based on my intensive therapy skin cream, and is all natural, organic, and vegan.  http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=21432410

              Clipped from my article on skin disorders:

              "Water is absolutely vital. It not only moisturizes, it is also fundamental to smooth function of all body systems, including removing toxins from the skin. Most of us in Western culture are extremely dehydrated, and used to it! We all need our 5 - 8 glasses of water a day. Coffee is not water, nor is pop, or even tea. All of those are diuretics, and require an equal amount of water to balance them. Every time we have our cup of coffee, we need to balance it out with a cup of water. Although juice and herbal teas are not water, they at least are not dehydrating and do not need to be balanced by an extra glass of water. So have your coffee, but keep your water bottle close at hand!

              As well as the water, skin moisture requires oils to keep it from evaporating. If you didn't have the oils, you'd evapotransporate in hours! Even if this isn't your only cause, a round of essential fatty acids produces marvelous results in alleviating much of the condition by helping to nourish and moisturize your skin from the inside. Essential fatty acids will not make you fat, as they are the essential building blocks for all your cells, and are found in many oils. Unrefined flax seed, evening primrose, fish oils, borage, blackcurrent, as well as many others contain the Omega 3, 6, and 9 essential fatty acids in various ratios. Flax seed oil, in pills or liquid, is my favorite. It's cheap, and has all the necessary Omegas, though it's not as high in some to make it ideal. If you use it in liquid, it has to be consumed within 3 weeks. Take with food, and I have never heard of a overdose yet, though it can have a laxative effect. I'm not a fan of evening primrose oil. It's very pricey, and due to it's estrogen relation, can be a depressant for those prone to it. Fish oils, while cheap, contain a form of Vitamin A that can be toxic in high doses."

              Treasach

              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 15, 2009
                Don't forget.  Anything that goes on your nipples, your baby will eat, no matter how much you wipe it off.  So whatever you use, it must be a food grade quality product that YOU wouldn't mind ingesting.

                Treasach
              • Alyson
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 15, 2009
                  Regarding nuts. Dr's usually recommend against giving a child under 2 any nut products. What about peach oil?

                  Life is meant to be an adventure; change is a gift that we have to learn to use aright. A Celtic curse is to be stuck in a field and unable to leave. To be stuck in one place forever.
                  To be unable to venture or change.
                  An open gate is the opposite of this. It is the invitation to venture, to grow, the call to be among the living vital elements of the world.
                  The open gate is the call to explore new areas of yourself
                  and the world around you
                  ~David Adam,The Open Gate~

                  jack hollandbeck wrote:

                  > Lanoline is used in many over the counter lotions because of the
                  > moisturizing qualities from the oil in the wool. However my sister is
                  > very allergic to lanolin in every form. It dries her skin out and
                  > causes a severe rash. You might ask the local cosmetician for help in
                  > locating a non-lanoline moisturizer. Petroleum jelly is one idea.
                  > Jack

                  > To: SCA-Herbalist@ yahoogroups. com
                  > From: tempestviolet@ gmail.com
                  > Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 00:39:54 -0400
                  > Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] Moisturizing question
                  >
                  > Hi Folks,
                  >
                  > Got a question. Just had my first child and have been using Lansinoh
                  > (lanolin ointment) for breast feeding.
                  >
                  > My query is, I thought that lanolin was supposed to have moisturizer
                  > qualities.
                  >
                  > I have been finding that my hands have been drying out from washing
                  > the bottles used for supplemental feedings, especially the index
                  > fingers and thumbs which are used to apply the Lasinoh on the breast.
                  >
                  > Shouldn't the lanolin be keeping the index fingers and thumbs moist?
                  > They have been drying out so bad that they are rough and just
                  > beginning to get painful.
                  >
                  > Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
                  >
                  > Dianaim

                  > Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Find
                  > out more.
                  > <http://windowslive. com/online/ hotmail?ocid= TXT_TAGLM_ WL_HM_70faster_ 032009>

                • Apollonia de Avena
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 15, 2009

                    Shea butter
                    Cocoa butter
                    Vitamin E

                    All great natural moisturizers and all safe for baby.  Make sure you buy preparations without other chemicals in them (read the labels).  For the vitamin E, you can buy prepared products, but you can also just buy the capsules and cut them open, spreading the oil onto your skin :)
                    You don't need to completely remove any of these from your nipples before breastfeeding, but you want to wipe off any excess.

                    Apollonia
                  • Richenda du Jardin
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 15, 2009
                      I hadn't thought about Vitamin E. My sister used to treat her eyelids
                      with it because they were red, swollen, and scaly when she was a teen.
                      It worked wonders (lots better than taking it orally).

                      Richenda

                      Apollonia de Avena wrote:

                      > Shea butter
                      > Cocoa butter
                      > Vitamin E
                      >
                      > All great natural moisturizers and all safe for baby. Make sure you
                      > buy preparations without other chemicals in them (read the labels).
                      > For the vitamin E, you can buy prepared products, but you can also
                      > just buy the capsules and cut them open, spreading the oil onto your
                      > skin :)
                      > You don't need to completely remove any of these from your nipples
                      > before breastfeeding, but you want to wipe off any excess.
                      >
                      > Apollonia

                    • McIsaac & Capnerhurst
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 15, 2009
                        All of those are not very handy on their own.  Cocoa butter holds in moisture.  So does shea, and it lubricates.  Vit. E is a fat soluble vitamin that helps nourish and heal the skin.  All of those do only one or tow jobs, which is why they and other skin conditioners are put together to moisture, heal, lubricated, and seal the skin.

                        When I make my skin conditioners, I put together edible oils, butters with different properties, waters with healing properties, and preservatives that are also food grade and help with anti-bac and anti-viral on your skin.

                        For those are not familiar with the more complicated creams and salves, I would use an edible oil, like olive or grapeseed, and blend it with beeswax to make a salve.  Butters can always be added for emollient, and a vinegar or rosewater wash to refresh and tone.  I also infuse the oil with healing herbs first as well.

                        The most expensive way to get Vit. E is to buy the caps and cut them open.  I get bioavailable vit. E in a squeeze bulb bottle.

                        Treasach

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 16, 2009
                          I don't recall the OP saying she had a skin condition she needed a "healing" cream for.  It was already suggested (and I agree) that the condition on her fingers was more than likely a reaction to the lanolin, and then the question was asked about a substitution.  If the lanonlin was doing her just fine, then any of these oils (by themselves or in combination) would continue to work for her and alleviate her potential reaction from lanolin.
                          Olive oil is a great alternative as well, and very inexpensive.

                          I agree that individually these oils/butters would not heal a skin condition, but they will help prevent chafing associated with breast-feeding (which I believe was the OP's indicated use).

                          Also, many people are not lucky enough to live near a store that sells vitamin E oil in bottles (and they don't shop on the internet), so cutting the caps would be an alternative.  I recently moved to a city that the oil in the bottle was way more expensive than just buying a small bottle of caps and using them as "single dose" vials. Of course, if you are making a large amount of salve, it wouldn't make sense to cut open several caps, and therefore, getting ahold of a bottle would be more logical.

                          Apollonia

                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 16, 2009
                            Grape seed oil can be found in Krogers with the olive oils.  I love it and use it with my other oils as my base.
                            Okay, so now here is my question: my long haired teenage son has lice, tea tree oil seems to kill the critters, what is a quick way to get the nits off the hair, they are the exact same color as his hair and I have trouble seeing them to pull them out, so he keeps getting the critters. It is less and less, but still there.
                            I really do not want to scalp his hair just yet...
                            Thanks
                            Ileana

                            ""Not all sweetness, not all light, some that bark will also bite. Magick that is taken has quite a price, if not given freely you will meet some Fae that aren't too nice." Shadows, Gateway to Faerie, ElvenDrums"

                            In short: Watch out for the red-headed ones! :-)

                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 16, 2009
                              Sorry.  Let me draw the lines.

                              I was assuming that she didn't have Vit. E in caps just sitting around to cut open, otherwise she probably would have thought of that herself, so she would have to go out to purchase Vit. E specifically for the purpose, and I was just trying to be helpful in suggesting a more economical alternative.  I was also assuming that the skin on her finger was the same as on her breast, so that if she was having a reaction to the lanolin on her finger, it might not be the most effective thing to heal her nipple condition.  I was assuming she had a nipple condition that needed healing because she was putting lanolin on it.  I'm currently breastfeeding and not slathering my nipples with anything, other than an after dinner aperitif for my baby's dining pleasure, because my nipples are not bleeding, cracked, or sore. They were with my first baby, and a cream or salve that I could get my hands on, that didn't cost a bundle, that I knew what when in it, and, before the days of the Internet, was readily available, would have been a godsend.  So I shared an effective formula.

                              Next time I will lay out my entire reasoning in my post, rather than simply giving the advice.  I wouldn't want anyone to get lost if my assumptions aren't spelled out...

                              Treasach

                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 16, 2009
                                No need to get worked up...
                                I whole-heartily agree with your formulas, and it was a great suggestion.
                                In my response, I was justifying my post about using just plain shea, cocoa, or vit E (which I felt you discounted in your post), and pointing out what the OP was asking in the first place.
                                Emails are always the worst for expressing oneself, but thank you for your clarification.
                                If it is any consolation, I did understand what your assumptions and reasonings were, but I felt I needed to clarify my original response.

                                Apollonia

                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 16, 2009
                                  Pish tosh.  Gives me a chance to practice my "righteously indignant but reasonable sounding bitch" style.  I'm no Stephen Colbert yet, but I get by...

                                  Trey

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 16, 2009
                                    Hi Everyone,

                                    Thank you so much for the info.

                                    My nipples seem to be fine with the Lanolin product.  I have had no reaction there.

                                    It seems that my hands/fingers that are applying the product seem to be doing poorly.  I have been using vitamin E and wearing gloves to bed after applying to keep the vitamin E moisturizing for a couple of hours before the next feeding.  It just doesn't seem to be helping the fingers..It's great for the rest of the hands though. :)  I have even resorted to filing down the rough skin on the finger and thumb pad to let the vitamin E work better.

                                    Dianaim

                                    On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:17 AM, McIsaac & Capnerhurst <cageytlc@...> wrote:

[...]

                                  • Jennifer Heise
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 16, 2009
                                      I have tried Lansinoh but Annys Wolf gave me some cocoa butter to use
                                      on my nipples while I'm breastfeeding, and it seems to work well on my
                                      hands also.
                                      -- Jadwiga

                                      On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 12:39 AM, Dianaim <tempestviolet@...> wrote:
                                      > Hi Folks,
                                      >
                                      > Got a question.  Just had my first child and have been using Lansinoh
                                      > (lanolin ointment) for breast feeding.
                                      >
                                      > My query is, I thought that lanolin was supposed to have moisturizer
                                      > qualities.
                                      >
                                      > I have been finding that my hands have been drying out from washing the
                                      > bottles used for supplemental feedings, especially the index fingers and
                                      > thumbs which are used to apply the Lasinoh on the breast.
                                      >
                                      > Shouldn't the lanolin be keeping the index fingers and thumbs moist?  They
                                      > have been drying out so bad that they are rough and just beginning to get
                                      > painful.
                                      >
                                      > Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
                                      >
                                      > Dianaim

                                    • HopeAllyson Dwiggins
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 16, 2009
                                        As it was unlabeled, I can understand the confusion. It is coconut oil.

                                        Coconut oil is solid at room temp, easily melted between two fingers,
                                        and fantastic for skin healing. I use it instead of lanolin because the
                                        lanolin sometimes makes latching on harder with the slipperiness of the
                                        nipple and areola after use.

                                        It is safe for the baby. If you have any questions about this. please
                                        ask me.

                                        /getting on soapbox
                                        I have watched this thread with interest and concern. Please make sure
                                        what you are putting on your nipples is safe. As a Board Certified
                                        Lactation Consultant mundanely, I can tell you not everything
                                        recommended for nipples while breastfeeding is safe.
                                        getting off soapbox/

                                        Please don't flame me too harshly. My concern is for the moms and babies.
                                        Annys

                                        Jennifer Heise wrote:

                                        > I have tried Lansinoh but Annys Wolf gave me some cocoa butter to use
                                        > on my nipples while I'm breastfeeding, and it seems to work well on my
                                        > hands also.
                                        > -- Jadwiga
                                        >
                                        > On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 12:39 AM, Dianaim <tempestviolet@...
                                        > <mailto:tempestviolet%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                                        > > Hi Folks,
                                        > >
                                        > > Got a question. Just had my first child and have been using Lansinoh
                                        > > (lanolin ointment) for breast feeding.
                                        > >
                                        > > My query is, I thought that lanolin was supposed to have moisturizer
                                        > > qualities.
                                        > >
                                        > > I have been finding that my hands have been drying out from washing the
                                        > > bottles used for supplemental feedings, especially the index fingers and
                                        > > thumbs which are used to apply the Lasinoh on the breast.
                                        > >
                                        > > Shouldn't the lanolin be keeping the index fingers and thumbs
                                        > moist? They
                                        > > have been drying out so bad that they are rough and just beginning
                                        > to get
                                        > > painful.
                                        > >
                                        > > Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
                                        > >
                                        > > Dianaim

                                      • HopeAllyson Dwiggins
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 16, 2009
                                          Let me restart that so it makes sense. I gave Jadwiga coconut oil, not
                                          cocoa butter.
                                          I think the rest is okay :)

                                          Annys

                                          HopeAllyson Dwiggins wrote:

                                          > As it was unlabeled, I can understand the confusion. It is coconut oil.
                                          >
                                          > Coconut oil is solid at room temp, easily melted between two fingers,
                                          > and fantastic for skin healing. I use it instead of lanolin because the
                                          > lanolin sometimes makes latching on harder with the slipperiness of the
                                          > nipple and areola after use.
                                          >
                                          > It is safe for the baby. If you have any questions about this. please
                                          > ask me.
                                          >
                                          > /getting on soapbox
                                          > I have watched this thread with interest and concern. Please make sure
                                          > what you are putting on your nipples is safe. As a Board Certified
                                          > Lactation Consultant mundanely, I can tell you not everything
                                          > recommended for nipples while breastfeeding is safe.
                                          > getting off soapbox/
                                          >
                                          > Please don't flame me too harshly. My concern is for the moms and babies.
                                          > Annys
                                          >
                                          > Jennifer Heise wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > I have tried Lansinoh but Annys Wolf gave me some cocoa butter to use
                                          > > on my nipples while I'm breastfeeding, and it seems to work well on my
                                          > > hands also.
                                          > > -- Jadwiga
                                          > >
                                          > > On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 12:39 AM, Dianaim <tempestviolet@...
                                          > <mailto:tempestviolet%40gmail.com>
                                          > > <mailto:tempestviolet%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                                          > > > Hi Folks,
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Got a question. Just had my first child and have been using Lansinoh
                                          > > > (lanolin ointment) for breast feeding.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > My query is, I thought that lanolin was supposed to have moisturizer
                                          > > > qualities.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > I have been finding that my hands have been drying out from
                                          > washing the
                                          > > > bottles used for supplemental feedings, especially the index
                                          > fingers and
                                          > > > thumbs which are used to apply the Lasinoh on the breast.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Shouldn't the lanolin be keeping the index fingers and thumbs
                                          > > moist? They
                                          > > > have been drying out so bad that they are rough and just beginning
                                          > > to get
                                          > > > painful.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Dianaim

                                        • Jennifer Heise
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 18, 2009
                                            On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 5:59 PM, HopeAllyson Dwiggins
                                            <annyswolf@...> wrote:
                                            > Let me restart that so it makes sense. I gave Jadwiga coconut oil, not
                                            > cocoa butter.
                                            > I think the rest is okay :)
                                            >
                                            > Annys

                                            Thanks for the correction, Annys. Obviously in my brain-compromised
                                            state, I forgot which it was!
                                          • Christina

                                              --
                                              NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST.
                                            • Lila Richards
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Mar 19, 2009
                                                ileana boyd wrote:
                                                > Okay, so now here is my question: my long haired teenage son has lice, tea tree oil seems to kill the critters, what is a quick way to get the nits off the hair, they are the exact same color as his hair and I have trouble seeing them to pull them out, so he keeps getting the critters.

                                                You can buy nit combs - not sure where, in the US (I'm in New Zealand), but your equivalent to a pharmacy should have them, or perhaps a supermarket. There are also elecronic combs that are supposed to zap them but I've never actually seen one or heard how they work. You could also try what I've seen recommended for cats - use a comb and kep dipping it in a container of water and disinfectant. Apparently the disinfectant kills them.

                                                Good luck!

                                                Sinech.

                                                An Fhirinne in aghaidh an tSaoil - The Truth Against the World
                                              • McIsaac & Capnerhurst
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Mar 19, 2009
                                                  I use a nit comb every day , of course, and don't forget that Diatomaceous earth will kill the adults and the eggs, and it can be dusted into the hair, bedclothes, and other places the 'lil kritters might hide.  And all the laundry loads should have Borax in them.  That should just about do it.

                                                  Treasach

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Mar 20, 2009
                                                    Holy cow!!! That stuff sounds like a fix for so many problems at once that I am going to bust my tail to try and find it this weekend.
                                                    Thanks guys
                                                    very helpful.
                                                    yis
                                                    Guileana