benzoin substitute

  • Tonia Burk
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 13, 2009
      Does anyone know if powdered kaolin clay is an acceptable substitute for benzoin in anti-chafing powder? I'm experimenting with Jadwiga's recipe, but couldn't find benzoin. It's supposed to make it stick and keep it smelling nice.

      It's a minor ingredient, so I'm not too sure it's a critical component...but this is my first shot at something like this.

      I looked on some commercial baby powder and the base was arrowroot powder and kaolin clay, so I bought some kaolin clay.

      Other considerations I had that were in stock included guar gum and gum resin. Hmm, I feel an experiment coming on!

      Randalin
      Meridies
      Herb Guild
    • Diana
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 14, 2009
        Have you checked with a Pharmacist? Tincture of benzoin is used to help make bandages stick. We had it in our kits while I was a hospital corpman.

        --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "Tonia Burk" <toniaburk@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know if powdered kaolin clay is an acceptable substitute for benzoin in anti-chafing powder? I'm experimenting with Jadwiga's recipe, but couldn't find benzoin. It's supposed to make it stick and keep it smelling nice.
        >
        > It's a minor ingredient, so I'm not too sure it's a critical component...but this is my first shot at something like this.
        >
        > I looked on some commercial baby powder and the base was arrowroot powder and kaolin clay, so I bought some kaolin clay.
        >
        > Other considerations I had that were in stock included guar gum and gum resin. Hmm, I feel an experiment coming on!
        >
        > Randalin
        > Meridies
        > Herb Guild

      • McIsaac & Capnerhurst
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 14, 2009
          Kaolin and arrowroot create a very white powder that absorbs moisture and odour, while lubricating between folds of skin.  Perfect for anti-chafing, but the arrowroot because it's a starch can increase the likelihood of yeast infections on the skin.  So I substitutive the bacteria neutral and ancient traditional orris root powder.  Since Kaolin is a very fine clay that can clog pours, it's not a one-one ratio, so experiment with the ratio you like.  Adding a very small amount of an organic essential oil can really life this powder up to a luxurious cosmetic, and for medicinal value, a few powdered herbs that address the particular issues.

          I've been working on just such a concoction for a few years and have been pretty successful.  I should have it up on my Etsy store in the next few weeks.  One for chafing, one as a body powder, a foot powder, and a face powder.  Nearly all will be historically accurate and documentable for A&S purposes as well.

          Treasach

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 14, 2009
            Whoops.  Forgot the stickiness.

            If, for some reason, you require something sticky, I'd try gum arabic.  It will answer the pure white theme, and provide it with some tackiness, though not nearly as much as benzion.

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 17, 2009
              Thanks for all the feedback! ...will post back if I get any interesting comparisons/results! -Randalin
            • Jennifer Heise
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 18, 2009
                Just weighing in a little late-- when I've made this, if I couldn't
                find my benzoin, I either used a little tincture of benzoin and let
                the whole thing dry, or left it out. I agree with Tresach that a
                powdered resin, such as gum arabic, would probably be a good
                substitute. I don't recommend kaolin myself for this application, but
                I know it was sometimes used as a face powder-- I just don't have
                handy *when* that was. My recipe is a hodge-podge of various recipes I
                found in several sources, specifically those quoted in <I>The Scented
                Garden</I> by Elinor Sinclair Rohde, and in Rosetta Clarkson's books.

                Please be aware, if/when you choose to use orris root powder (I use it
                myself), that it is now omitted from commercial products because some
                portion of the population have demonstrated major adverse affects from
                breathing the powder. Use it with caution, is what I say. :)

                -- Jadwiga

                On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Tonia Burk <toniaburk@...> wrote:
                > Does anyone know if powdered kaolin clay is an acceptable substitute for
                > benzoin in anti-chafing powder? I'm experimenting with Jadwiga's recipe, but
                > couldn't find benzoin. It's supposed to make it stick and keep it smelling
                > nice.
                >
                > It's a minor ingredient, so I'm not too sure it's a critical component...but
                > this is my first shot at something like this.
                >
                > I looked on some commercial baby powder and the base was arrowroot powder
                > and kaolin clay, so I bought some kaolin clay.
                >
                > Other considerations I had that were in stock included guar gum and gum
                > resin. Hmm, I feel an experiment coming on!
                >
                > Randalin
                > Meridies
                > Herb Guild

              • McIsaac & Capnerhurst
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 18, 2009
                  Actually, ALL cosmetic powders should not be inhaled.  Though talc, baby powder, and even Kaolin have more adverse effects if inhaled than orris root.

                  Treasach

                  On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Tonia Burk <toniaburk@hotmail. com> wrote:
                  > Does anyone know if powdered kaolin clay is an acceptable substitute for
                  > benzoin in anti-chafing powder? I'm experimenting with Jadwiga's recipe, but
                  > couldn't find benzoin. It's supposed to make it stick and keep it smelling
                  > nice.
                  >
                  > It's a minor ingredient, so I'm not too sure it's a critical component... but
                  > this is my first shot at something like this.
                  >
                  > I looked on some commercial baby powder and the base was arrowroot powder
                  > and kaolin clay, so I bought some kaolin clay.
                  >
                  > Other considerations I had that were in stock included guar gum and gum
                  > resin. Hmm, I feel an experiment coming on!
                  >
                  > Randalin
                  > Meridies
                  > Herb Guild

                • Jennifer Heise
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 19, 2009
                    Oh, as I understood it, orris root powder caused an immediate
                    histamine reaction in the people who are affected-- I believe it was
                    5-10% of the population-- where talc and other powders have a long
                    term effect (increased susceptibility to cancer, etc). But I am still
                    trying to get my books in order after our move and the baby's birth,
                    so I can't lay my hands on the info. If I find my cite, I'll post it.
                    -- Jadwiga the disorganized.
                    On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:00 AM, McIsaac & Capnerhurst
                    <cageytlc@...> wrote:
                    > Actually, ALL cosmetic powders should not be inhaled.  Though talc, baby
                    > powder, and even Kaolin have more adverse effects if inhaled than orris
                    > root.
                    >
                    > Treasach

                  • Rickard, Patty
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 19, 2009
                      But I am still
                      trying to get my books in order after our move and the baby's birth,
                      so I can't lay my hands on the info. If I find my cite, I'll post it.
                      -- Jadwiga the disorganized.

                      Ah yes - another example of the well known "babies steal your brain cells" phenomenon.
                      Ceit