Re: [SCA-Herbalist] OT - Aphid and Whitefly spray

  • Lori Hannis
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 14, 2008
      i use it neat...

      and make it *strong* i alway's use one jar of pepper to one small spray bottle of vinegar

      "Live your life in such away when you roll out of bed in the morning, the devil looks up and says "Damn, she's awake" -Unknown-"

      "You cannot live the life you love, with out loving the life you live"

      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 15, 2008
        Ellen Rawson wrote:
        > According to their website, this brand is available in New Zealand and the US, as well as the UK and numerous other countries. http://www.ecover.com

        Hmm... I'm in New Zealand, and I've not seen it, but I'll make
        enquiries. Thanks.

        Sinech.

        An Fhirinne in aghaidh an tSaoil - The Truth Against the World
      • Ellen Rawson
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 15, 2008
          It's now available here in most supermarkets, but it started out in health food stores.

          Ariel

          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 15, 2008

            I would be cautious using the apple cider vinegar as someone suggested for an aphid spray.  I use a vinegar spray to KILL plants that sprout up in my sidewalk cracks.  For aphids and whiteflies, I use a teaspoon of cayenne pepper and a few garlic cloves whirred in a blender with a quart of water.  Strain VERY well, as any solid bit may clog the spray mechanism in the spray bottle.  Pour into spray bottle, then, I add just a drop or two of Dawn dishwashing liquid.  The dishwashing liquid helps the spray adhere to the leaves of the plants and to the pests.

            Checked by AVG.

            Checked by AVG.

          • Apollonia de Avena
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 15, 2008
              Just a point to make...*any* dishwashing liquid soap will work for a soap spray.  I suggested Dove because its cheap and is readily available here in the US (and some people think it works better and is gentler).  But if I couldn't find it, I would just pick up something on sale.  It's the soap in it that gets rid of the aphids, as someone explained how already--it really doesn't matter what brand and probably doesn't even matter what other ingredients are in it.
              Apollonia

            • Lila Richards
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 15, 2008
                Betty Pillsbury wrote:
                > I would be cautious using the
                apple cider vinegar as someone
                > suggested for an aphid spray.  I use a vinegar spray to KILL plants
                > that sprout up in my sidewalk cracks.  For aphids and whiteflies, I
                > use a teaspoon of cayenne pepper and a few garlic cloves whirred
                in a
                > blender with a quart of water. Strain VERY well, as any solid bit
                may
                > clog the spray mechanism in the spray bottle.  Pour into spray
                > bottle, then, I add just a drop or two of Dawn dishwashing liquid.
                > The dishwashing liquid helps the spray adhere to the leaves of the
                > plants and to the pests.

                Thanks for that advice, and for your suggestion. I have so many possibilities to choose from now that something must surely work. :-)

                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 15, 2008
                  Makes me wonder what a cayenne, vinegar, and soap solution would do for your pests.  Maybe you could try it out and let us know!  You might invent the next big thing :)
                  Apollonia

                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 15, 2008
                    i must have bizarre plants, it's never killed mine

                    but sure kills the critters

                    Emeline (Outlands)

                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 16, 2008
                      The January 2009 issue of 'Herb Companion' (US-based magazine to which I subscribe here in England) arrived this week. By sheer coincidence, they were asked, in an advice column, about dealing with whiteflies. Here's some of their response below.

                      Ariel

                      ***
                      The easiest way to protect your plants is to treat them *before* you bring them indoors. A quick dip in soapy water will help dislodge and destroy any unseen eggs. Use a natural dishwashing liquid (yay -- the Ecover I use is perfect! -- A's comment :) at a ratio of about two teaspoons to one gallon water. (Okay, I use more washing-up liquid than that. -- A)

                      If whiteflies do show up indoors -- perhaps by hitching a ride on new plant additions or emerging from potting soil -- your best offense is a good defense. That is, provide the best growing conditions for your herbs while creating an inhospitable environment for whiteflies. These pests thrive in dry, indoor air conditions, so gibe them the opposite. Boost air circulation by running a small fan, and mist plants weekly.
                      ***
                    • donat0
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 16, 2008
                        I realize this is off in left field, but Ladybugs LOVE to eat
                        aphids... thats their entire diet. Beneficial insects are natural, no
                        chemicals and non invasive. Instead of twisting the ecological
                        balance of your garden, you should try to balance it out.

                        I even keep some ladybugs in my houseplants over the winter... they
                        hang out there or crawl on the windows... its king of quaint.

                        Here is a link where you can order some.

                        http://www.arbico-organics.com/organic-pest-control-beneficial-
                        insects-organisms.html

                        Just a tangental thought, all of these "Pests",... and rusts and
                        mildews come from maintaining too high a humidity in the undercanopy
                        of your plantings. Perhaps removing some mulch, or watering only
                        once a week would serve you better than making home concoctions in
                        the hope of killing something thats telling you your garden is off
                        balance.

                        Donat0 Del Giardinier, Proprietor Rifugio Del Bacchus
                        www.museevolution.com/rifugio/index.htm
                      • Apollonia de Avena
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 16, 2008
                          Not left field at all. Great point to make and I totally agree.  I know from trying this approach, however, that you really have to know what you're doing to get you garden in balance--not easy to do for an amateur gardener.  But with some research and help from you (or others) this would be a good direction to go.
                          Apollonia

[...]

                          www.groups.yahoo. com/group/ RifugiodelBacchu s/

                        • McIsaac & Capnerhurst
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 16, 2008
                            We unintentionally kept colonies of ladybugs in the house over winter for years.  And we live on one of the highest latitudes for a city in the world.  I don't know what they live on in the house.  I don't think we have aphids in here..

                            Treasach