Re: [[SCA-Herbalist] Sleeplessness]

  • Jenn Davis
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2001
      Milady,
      This is un-period advice, but it sounds like for your friend's problem
      period accuracy may not be a concern. I also have trouble sleeping, and
      Valerian root is absolutely fantastic for this. St John's Wort helps for
      moods and such, but it won't make you sleep. Valerian is a sedative, and
      taken about 30 minutes before bed will help you fall asleep quicker and also
      have a deeper sleep than youi might otherwise. Me, I'm sadly such a light
      sleeper that if the cat jumps on the bed, it wakes me up. So needless to say,
      I always keep valerian on hand!
      Hope this helps,
      - Liadan

      "Katie " <nejma@...> wrote:
      > Greetings Good Lords and Ladies
      >
      > I am Katherine of the Deepwoods, I have only been on the list a
      > short time, and found only one post regarding what I am seeking
      > advice about. I have a friend in Midrealm and she complains
      > of not being able to get restfull sleep, she doesn't have trouble
      > getting to sleep just getting to the stage where your body
      > regenerates. She told me that she has seen a doctor, but
      > has had some troubles with side effects from the Rx he has
      > given her. She started using St. John's Wort and found temporary
      > relief, but now it isn't helping. IMHO it is from the build up.
      > I refered to Jethro Kloss' book and told her of some of the
      > herbs listed in there. But I thought I would check with all
      > of you to see what ideas you had.
      >
      > In service to Crown and Dream
      > Katherine of the Deepwoods
      > Web Minister
      > Barony of the Osprey
      > Kingdom of Meridies

      > [Email to SCA-Herbalist-unsubscribe@egroups.com to leave this list]

      - Reality is the fantasy of the logical mind.

    • BrynneMorgan@cs.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2001
        Katherine,

        I have found that hops works wonderfully if I am having trouble sleeping
        because my brain just refuses to lie down, that is if I can't get to sleep or
        stay asleep because I am worried, or excited, or upset or any of those
        reasons I just can't stop thinking about something. There are many herbs for
        relaxation and sleep. Some work best for particular types of sleep problems,
        and some just work better on some people better than others.
        Good luck finding the right one for your friend. - Brynne