Re: [SCA-Herbalist] fruit woods and geography

  • Lady Biya
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 23, 2008
      Well the use in this case is two-fold:  as perches and as toys.

      The cages themselves are, for very good safety reasons, made of stainless steel.

      She's bringing finches (the species might be different, but passerformes are a huge order of birds and include the English sparrows that were brought to the United States) and two New World parakeets: a conure of some sort and a quaker.

      Gyrfalcons are, of course, falconry birds, and don't fall into the catagory of aviculture.  Aviculture birds are companion birds, the most common examples are from the orders passerformes (finches, canaries, songbirds), colombiformes (pigeons, doves), and psiticines (parrots).  I have not personally researched outside of those three orders of birds to know if people were keeping birds outside of menagerie birds beyond those three orders.  Those three orders cover several hundred species alone!  Parrots number over 300 species and passerformes have even more species.  Finches have a lot of human-created species, a practice that may have started before period.  Just looking up a random species I'm familiar with, it turned out that species, the Society Finch, was a created species, a hybred started in the 17th/18th century in Japan!

      Amazing stuff when you start to really look it up!

      --
      Lady Biya Sama
      http://biyasama.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 23, 2008
        From watching Scandinavian cooking shows, grapes grow in Scandinavia.  Here in Minnesota (zone 3) there are plenty of wild grapes that make excellent  jellies, sauces and other 'things.'
                                 Kay

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 23, 2008

          Greetings,

          As far as fruits go - I know the Scandinavian countries have cloudberries, lingonberries, gooseberries, and 1 or 2 others that I can't remember off the top of my head.  They grow around the Arctic Circle region.  (I have preserves of 2 of the mentioned species, if anyone can get me in touch with ANY form of cloudberries, I offer bribes of gems!)

          >Aviculture birds are companion birds, the most common examples are from
          the orders passerformes (finches, canaries, songbirds), colombiformes (pigeons, doves), and psiticines (parrots).

          Just out of curiosity, don't have the bird book with me - where do crows / ravens fall, and were they kept as companion birds?

          -Carowyn

          Click for free info on online masters degrees and make up to $150K/ year

        • Lady Biya
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 24, 2008
            lingonberries!  I've looked at several lists and not found lingonberries on any toxic plant lists.  So that seems like a safe one.  Nice find!  I hadn't thought of that one!

            Of course now you have me craving some good lingonberry mead!

            Lingonberries are so so good!

            --
            Lady Biya Sama
            http://biyasama.com
            Knowne World Aviculturists
          • Shield of Peace
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 24, 2008
              On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 1:01 AM, Carowyn Silveroak <silveroak@...> wrote:

              > Just out of curiosity, don't have the bird book with me - where do crows /
              > ravens fall, and were they kept as companion birds?

              /insert The Odin Laughter(tm) here.... :)

              Aquilina
            • Rickard, Patty
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 24, 2008

                Just out of curiosity, don't have the bird book with me - where do crows / ravens fall, and were they kept as companion birds?

                -Carowyn

                Songbirds – Passeriformes

                Ceit

              • Kingstaste
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 24, 2008

                  I’m still wondering if the Vikings kept caged birds at all, I have never seen any reference to it.  Hugin and Munin are usually depicted sitting on Odin’s shoulders, but that is all much more modern artwork.

                  > Just out of curiosity, don't have the bird book with me - where do crows /
                  > ravens fall, and were they kept as companion birds?

                  /insert The Odin Laughter(tm) here.... :)

                  Aquilina

                • Carowyn Silveroak
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 24, 2008
                    Thanks - got as far as "corvids", then the brain didn't want to go to family, class, or order....

                    -Carowyn

                    >Just out of curiosity, don't have the bird book with me -

                    where do crows / ravens fall, and were they kept as companion birds?

                    style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: #1f497d; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri','sans-serif'">Songbirds – Passeriformes

                    Click here for free information on how to reduce your debt by filing for bankruptcy.

                  • Rickard, Patty
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 25, 2008
                      Thanks - got as far as "corvids", then the brain didn't want to go to family, class, or order....

                      -Carowyn

                      I hate it when that happens!