Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: White Pepper

  • Jennifer Heise
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2008
      *White* peppercorns are the same fruit as black peppercorns, but they
      are allowed to ripen more, and stripped of their black outer coating.

      There is a 'pink' peppercorn that comes from another plant, which may
      be the one your informant was thinking of:
      http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Schi_ter.html

      On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 6:48 PM, Carowyn Silveroak <silveroak@...> wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      >>Black (and white and green) peppercorns are piper nigrum, and period. The
      >> pink ones are schinus terrbinthifolius. Long pepper is piper longa.
      >
      > I'd been told long ago that the white peppercorns were actually some form of
      > poison ivy, so I've been avoiding them. Of course, I didn't research this
      > while I was at work....
      >
      > What's the real scoop?
      >
      > -Carowyn

      > Why not be a nutritionist? Get your degree fast. Click here!

    • Carowyn Silveroak
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2008

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2008
          Greetings,

          > There is a 'pink' peppercorn that comes from another plant, which
          > may be the one your informant was thinking of:
          > http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Schi_ter.html

          Ahhhhhh, thank you!! That makes sense - white berries in this area are
          often poisonous, therefore the association. I'll look that up next week
          at work, thanks much!

          -Carowyn
          Criminal Lawyers - Click here.
          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3oGdgjeudScgPDQg0dF4VRkcVef9n5ST84MVNJK5b4k87K4k/