Lyme Disease at Pennsic

  • Virginia Taylor
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 12, 2008
      I just got a call from Mistress Alizaunde who noticed a rash at Pennsic, and when she got it checked Monday was admitted to the hospital for Lyme Disease, where she is now being treated. She would very much like to have the information circulated to all SCA lists so that anyone who was at Pennsic and may have also gotten bitten can also get treatment.

      "Lyme disease causes flu-like symptoms, including fever, muscle pain, arthritis-like joint pain, fatigue, and a skin rash. In rare cases, it can lead to temporary paralysis of the muscles in the face, or serious heart or nervous system problems.

      Early treatment with antibiotics is important to avoid long-term problems. Although symptoms sometimes last for months, early treatment increases the likelihood that they will clear up completely."

      "About 75% of the people who contract Lyme disease don't remember being bitten by a tick."

      Please send this on to lists I may have missed- we'd hate to have anyone wait too long because they didn't think of checking for Lyme.

      Hlæfdige Arastorm, Stonemarche, EK

      "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

    • Amy Provost
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2008
        For anyone interested, Stephen Buhner now has an excellent book out on herbal treatments of lyme disease.  Any herbalist will tell you to get on antibiotics asap and deal with gut imbalances later.  For those who have been infected for a while before diagnosis, there is some wonderful information about dealing with the other symptoms herbally.

        Jadwiga, I did not want to interject during your weed class, but herbalists are now using tincture of first year teasel roots in dealing with the joint pains associated with lyme.  As an interesting aside, they are finding that it is best to use teasel harvested from the same region in which the lyme was transmitted.

        http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Lyme-Prevention-Borreliosis-Coinfections/dp/0970869630

        Ameline

        --
        www.crookedwall.org
        www.bthumbstudios.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 12, 2008
          I do not trust Stephen Buhner's advice on herbalism. Having read his
          "Sacred and Healing Herbal Beers" book, I find him to be extremely
          irresponsible when dealing with potentially toxic herbs. Check
          anything he says against other known and trusted references.

          Aquilina