Re: Anti-moth recipe request

  • Jennifer Dobyns
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2008

      Actually, the yellowing of linens is due to the acid in wood.  Any wood will turn fabrics yellow, which is why cedar chests, drawers and even cardboard boxes are problematic (generally, these are not sealed--sealing cedar would be counter-productive).   Any long term storage or display of textiles needs to be acid free.  I don't recall if it's only plant based fibers or both plant and protein fibers that are effected by this (I suspect both).  Been a while since that part of my museum collections training.

      Hanging your herbal or naturally based moth repellant in an old nylon stocking should be relatively safe.  Especially if it's only for the winter.  There was a really good recipe for an herbal moth proofing compound in either Spin off or Threads, perhaps, in the mid 1980's, if you can find someone with access to old issues of the magazine.   I don't know why the recipes you are finding don't include cedar chips, unless the oils evaporate too quickly to be effective.

      Another way to deal with critters, if you suspect their presence in your woolies, is to freeze them for several days.  You can defrost and re-freeze if you want to be extra careful.  And make sure you always put your stuff away clean.  Dirt attracts moths (and other critters).

      Good luck!

      Jen D.

      Re: Anti-moth recipe request

      Posted by: "Sarah Krans" sarah.krans@...   beryana

      Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:47 am (PDT)

      That is because Cedar is not a good medium to use for storage. The acids it
      releases will cause staining and worse. The yellowing of Grandma's linens
      that have been kept in a cedar chest is not from the linens themselves but
      from the cedar of the chest.

      Sarah Krans

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 30, 2008
        Alright, i have to ask.. how do you get the moths to hold still long enough to freeze them? And once frozen, how do you defrost them without killing them?? Did they *HAVE* Cryogenics in period??

        :scratches his big ol' bald head, and goes back to lurking:

        In service to the Dream,

        Rodrigo Belmonte

        Oakheart Company of Archers

        Shire of Oakheart