Re: [[SCA-Herbalist] Cheese]

  • Jerrine Bergman
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 23, 2000
      The apple cider vinegar was good. So was the balsamic. The balsamic made it
      look like pate and it gave it a certain robust tang that reminded me of cheese
      that's been aged a long time or has mold involved. A coworker described it as
      "mexican feet cheese" or queso chihuaha. I'd like to try flavored vinegars,
      or maybe a champagne or red wine vinegar. Thanks a lot for this recipe, I'm
      having a blast with it!

      Blossom

      I'm looking for something else...non-citrusy...to try next! Now,
      sometimes I'll add the herbs to the milk and let it simmer with the
      milk...especially if the herbs are dried! But mostly, I prefer
      adding fresh to it!
      Keep on curdling!
      Alex

    • Greenlady
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 23, 2000
        What about adding smoked flavoring to it??? You can buy it at the store
        here..... Has anyone tried that??
        GL

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 25, 2000
          I got all excited about making cheese so I went out to get a couple
          of gallons of whole milk and some grapefruits and lemons and assorted
          stuff. Someone hit my car in the grocery store parking lot and ran
          away so my first cheese ball cost me about $350 to make. At least it
          was really good. :)

          I got one really lovely ball of cheese that was very mild and I
          rolled it in crushed walnuts and it was the hit of our Christmas
          party.

          The next one I tried I put dried parsley into the milk before I
          curdled it. That made it taste -- for some unknown reason -- fishy.
          I tried to hide that taste with hot sauce. I ended up with a fishy
          tasting pink ball of cheese that burned your tongue. THAT one I
          threw out. (Okay, to be honest, first I fed some to my brother THEN
          I threw it out.)

          I got some liquid smoke for our beef jerky so I may try that in the
          cheese next time.

          Has anyone succeeded in getting very large cheese curds -- similar in
          size to the cheese curds you would buy in the store?

          -giselle
        • Talismen
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 28, 2000
            Hey, not a problem! I'm also teaching a few classes this year with a
            teaching household here that REALLY wants me to join! :) I never
            thought I was a teacher..sigh..I think I've been in too long!
            Alex

            --- In SCA-Herbalist@egroups.com, Jerrine Bergman <